OCaml installation on Windows

  • tascil
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2009
      Hey! Nice to meet you all; new to the group. I'm a third-year
      university student doing programming language research, and I use
      OCaml since it sorta wins at that.

      So I'm trying to compile a project of mine on Windows (I can get it to
      run on Linux and Mac fine). I'd like to make a single executable file
      able to run on Windows, so I want to use ocamlopt; I don't want to
      have to include any other files, so I hear that I should use either
      the MSVC/MASM installation or the MinGW installation. However, every
      time I try to use ocamlopt from the command prompt, I get the following:

      >ocamlopt -o geomancian figures.ml geomancian.ml
      'as' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable
      program or batch file.
      File "figures.ml", line 1, characters 0-1:
      Error: Assembler error, input left in file <directory
      omitted>\camlasme1fe97.s

      Apparently, I don't have MASM installed or something; whenever I
      download it from MS's website, I get an error when installing it that
      it requires MS Virtual Visual C++ Express Edition 2005. I have MSVC
      Express 2008 (from Microsoft Dreamspark), so I don't see what the
      problem is.

      I feel sorta bad asking for this, but can someone guide me through
      this to get OCaml to install the way I want to? I know it's possible,
      but I haven't found anything online to help me out. Thanks, all!
    • lucasgouwy
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2009
        Hello !

        You can maybe try to download the version for MinGW and download MinGW.
        If there is no problem, you will can compile with ocamlopt...
        Else you can use temporarily ocamlc the bytecode compiler ;) !

        Good bye !
      • jshaw10
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2009
          I believe you can use the MS VC++ express distribution to get free
          microsoft compilers installed, and it's free for educational uses. You
          might have to use the "visual studio command prompt" shortcut it puts
          in your start menu since it adds the right paths.

          http://www.microsoft.com/express/vc/