9580Re: "ocaml_beginners"::[] Ocaml and Python (was: Writing to many files)

  • Jon Harrop
    Apr 1, 2008
      On Tuesday 01 April 2008 15:29:19 Johann Spies wrote:
      > On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 07:31:18AM -0600, William D. Neumann wrote:
      > > > That did not bring about significant improvement in the execution
      > > > speed.
      > >
      > > Have you done any profiling with ocamlprof or gprof/shark/etc.?
      > > Where is the code spending its time?
      >
      > I did not do any profiling. I have never used it in the past. Maybe
      > I will try and learn how to use when I have some time at hands.

      Profiling OCaml is very easy. Just compile with -p, then run and collect
      profiling results using gprof:

      $ ocamlopt -p foo.ml -o foo
      $ ./foo
      $ gprof foo >profile.txt

      Right at the top of "profile.txt" will be the most time consuming function,
      which should be a huge help here!