9569Ocaml and Python (was: Writing to many files)

  • Johann Spies
    Apr 1 1:10 AM
      I have made changes to my source from what I have learnt from your
      emails as well as replies from Richard Jones.

      I have also replaced my Str-functions with Scanf.

      That did not bring about significant improvement in the execution
      speed.

      I did a comparison between my ocaml and python-efforts. This is not a
      scientific comparison. I am an amateur programmer who mainly uses
      his hobby to create tools for system administration. I have regularly
      used Python about 8 years ago and rarely since then. For the past 5
      years most of my programming was done in Ocaml. So I am not an expert
      using either language.

      Filesize(lines) Python Ocaml Ocaml

      342,044 0m6.706s 0m3.838s (This was done on my PC)
      469,513,283 44m+ 486m+
      7,200,684 0m38.483s 3m34.512s

      The last two tests was on a quad-core server with 8G ram. The second
      test was done over the last weekend before I made the abovementioned
      changes to my Ocaml code.

      Regards
      Johann
      --
      Johann Spies Telefoon: 021-808 4036

      "Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new
      creature: old things are passed away; behold, all
      things are become new."
      II Corinthians 5:17
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic