764Re: "ocaml_beginners"::[] Re: Generating codes/values

  • oliver@first.in-berlin.de
    Jan 19, 2003
      On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 11:23:29AM +0100, Remi VANICAT wrote:
      > "spooky_jesse <spooky_jesse@...>" <spooky_jesse@...> writes:
      >
      > > I haven't spent a lot of time thinking about your problem but the
      > > first thing that popped into my mind was why use a list when you can
      > > define your own type (recursively if need be)?
      >
      > because, generally speaking, it's better to use already define
      > data-structure when you can : it's more readable and there are some
      > function in the stdlib for them.

      With compilation units/modules I may internally use
      my own data type, but give back a list of lists. :)

      Are self defined types a perfromance issue?
      (It will not be critically in my application,
      but interests me in genral.)

      But back to my question about how to create such a list:
      When doing that job in functional manner, it seems
      to me the best, to first create all partial lists,
      and then put them together.

      Or maybe I can create these lists on the fly?

      Maybe a recursive function with two parameters: one for the
      state of the current digit, I work on, and one for the number
      of the digiut I work on?

      Or is it a better approach to use arrays instead of lists,
      and maybe switch back to imperative programming for such a problem?

      Ciao,
      Oliver
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic