4895Re: "ocaml_beginners"::[] unbound value

  • William D. Neumann
    Nov 1, 2005
      On Tue, 1 Nov 2005, Java wrote:

      >> that's rigth not right, so ocaml is right :-)
      >>
      > ARGH! I lost lots of time checking errors like theese, anyone knows if
      > is there a possibility to let ocaml interpreter highlight the error
      > line? It only says "unbound value " or "syntax error at characters
      > 345-347".

      Well, it does.

      (********************************************************)
      Objective Caml version 3.09.0

      # type 'a tree =
      | Empty
      | Node of 'a * 'a tree * 'a tree;;

      let rec search (x, tree) =
      match tree with
      | Empty -> false
      | Node (y, left, rigth) ->
      if (x = y) then true else
      if (x > y) then search(x, right)
      else search(x, left)
      ;;
      type 'a tree = Empty | Node of 'a * 'a tree * 'a tree
      # Characters 204-209:
      if (x > y) then search(x, right)
      ^^^^^
      Unbound value right
      (********************************************************)

      The problem here (well, not really a problem) is that this doesn't tell
      you what you wanted to know, which is that you really misspelled right in
      the match case. I suppose some logic could be built into the compiler to
      look for possible typos and suggest corrections, but I doubt it would be
      worth the effort to implement...

      William D. Neumann

      ---

      "There's just so many extra children, we could just feed the
      children to these tigers. We don't need them, we're not doing
      anything with them.

      Tigers are noble and sleek; children are loud and messy."

      -- Neko Case

      Life is unfair. Kill yourself or get over it.
      -- Black Box Recorder
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic