4438Re: Modules

  • Damien Guichard
    Sep 17, 2005
      Hi Chris,

      You mean you need first-class modules?
      Many Scheme extensions offer them.
      Either you have to adapt your programming style to ML pecularities or
      you have to switch back to Scheme.
      That's the "evolution of a programmer", no matter how long we dream
      about it, we can't have all facilities in one single language.

      Regards,

      - damien

      --- In ocaml_beginners@yahoogroups.com, Chris Campbell
      <cyberdanx@g...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > The more I use Ocaml modules the more I'm suprised how limited they
      > are. For example, you can't pass a module to a function, modules can
      > only be parameterised by other modules (not values) and you can't
      > return modules from functions (this is partially solved by functors).
      > I was just wondering what the reasons for the 'limitiations' were?
      > Maybe it's performance? Or due to the ML roots?
      >
      > From past experience, I tend to think of modules as glorified records
      > and keep trying to use Ocaml modules like that before reminding myself
      > you can't do that.
      >

      > Regards,
      > Chris
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic