2752Re: "ocaml_beginners"::[] Re: 'ocaml_beginners'::[] Execution semantics

  • Remi Vanicat
    Nov 5, 2004
      On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 12:59:29 +0000, Alwyn <dt015a1979@...> wrote:

      > On 5 Nov 2004, at 08:57, Seth J. Fogarty wrote:
      >
      > > I'm still slightly bothered by the fragility with which '_a is
      > > introduced or not.
      >
      > It's called 'value restriction'. For full polymorphism, the expression
      > on the right hand side of the '=' sign must be a value.

      Well not exactly, if the value on the right hand side of the = is an
      hashtable for example, it is a value, but it won't be polymophic (it
      would be realy unsafe). Only imutable value will be generalize (that
      is render fully polymorphic). Well, not exactly this, it will be
      generalize if the type polymorphisme is covariant (and I believe there
      is another restriction).

      A type 'a t is covariant with regard to a, if for any type a and b
      such that one can coerce any value of type a in a value of type b,
      then one can coerce a value of type a t into a value of type b t. For
      example the option type is covariant.
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic