1518Re: "ocaml_beginners"::[] Multiple directories.

  • Thaddeus L. Olczyk
    Dec 1, 2003
      On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 11:16:24 +0000, Richard Jones <rich@...>
      wrote:

      >It sounds like an ordinary Makefile can do what you want.
      Makefiles aren't the only problem.

      One example ( that I remember was a problem in the past ).
      If I build two different libraries, a.cma and b.cma in different
      directories how can I load them into the top in a way that is
      directory independent?

      ( BTW your Makefile does explicitly depend on where some
      of the libs are installed. )

      A bigger example that I am now encoutnering is this.
      I wrap some OS calls in C functions and call the C functions
      from OCaml. I build cma and I build a toplevel. The C code is
      kept in an object file ( not a dll/so ), and linked in. The problem
      is that I can only open the toplevel or do a #load "dir/xxx.cma";;
      if my pwd is the dir of xxx.cma.

      If I try to start the toplevel from some other directory, then I
      cannot open the module xxx. It tells me that xxx is an unbound module.
      ( But starting in the directory it is OK. )

      If I try to start the standard toplevel ( ocaml or ocaml.exe ), and do
      #load "dir/xxx.cma";; I get an undefined symbol error. Of course it
      loads OK if the pwd is the dir of xxx.cma.

      Thaddeus L. Olczyk
      Think twice, code once.
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic