11386Re: "ocaml_beginners"::[] jocaml

  • markwvh
    Sep 3, 2009
      --- In ocaml_beginners@yahoogroups.com, Dario Teixeira <darioteixeira@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > > 1) Can I really expect JoCaml to run faster than Ocaml on
      > > machines with multiple processors?
      > > 2) Is the problem here my code? i.e., have I missed
      > > something about how to write truly concurrent code in
      > > JoCaml? (I got this fibonacci function from the JoCaml
      > > introduction online.)
      >
      > At the present time JoCaml only uses one CPU core. JoCaml inherits much
      > of the same components used in Ocaml, including the non-concurrent GC...

      Dario's right.

      If you'd like to use multiple cores, you'll need to run multiple OS processes. (By using the name service (Join.Ns), you may provide access to a channel in one process from other OS processes.)

      This works best for coarse-grained parallelism (i.e. non-trivial computations).
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic