Re: Sample Editing

  • z_chromozone
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 1, 2002
      What format are your samples, Wav, AIFF????
      What sample rate do you use 44.1, 48????
      What bit are they 16, 24??????????

      JC.

    • zubex@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 1, 2002
        I'm trying load the Korg .kes samples into Sound Forge. It doesn't support
        the extension.
        Wurdo
      • adaepid
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 1, 2002
          The documentation sais that Korg samples (.kes) can't be edited.

        • zubex@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 1, 2002
            In a message dated 02/01/2002 8:06:49 AM Pacific Standard Time,
            adaepid@... writes:

            << The documentation sais that Korg samples (.kes) can't be edited.

            Hmmmm....I wonder then, when you click on 'edit sample' that it loads in your
            chosen sample editor. I am missing something here. I know that I can load the
            sample into Cool Edit, but the editing features on that particular package
            are pretty lame compared to Sound Forge.
          • adaepid
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 1, 2002
              You can edit any other formats (wav, aiff, etc) but not .kes. It is
              not your .wav editor it is the korg samples that are protected.

              Adaerus
              www.mp3.com/adaerus

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 1, 2002
                In a message dated 02/01/2002 10:11:15 AM Pacific Standard Time,
                adaepid@... writes:

                << You can edit any other formats (wav, aiff, etc) but not .kes. It is
                not your .wav editor it is the korg samples that are protected. >>

                I can edit the .kes samples in Cool edit, and then save them as a .wav in a
                user bank, but I would rather do it with Sound Forge. Maybe I should check
                out Sound Forge 5.0 to see if it has been expanded as to recognising more
                extensions.
                Thanks for your replies.
                Wurdo
              • Dan Phillips
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 2, 2002
                  RE:Re: Sample Editing 11:19 AM 2/2/02
                  > << The documentation sais that Korg samples (.kes) can't be .
                  > edited >>
                  >
                  > Hmmmm....I wonder then, when you click on 'edit sample' that
                  > it loads in your chosen sample editor. I am missing something
                  > here.
                  The Edit Sample button should work for samples in WAV and AIFF
                  formats, as well as SDII (MacOS only). Samples which you import into OASYS PCI will be in one of these formats.

                  The Edit Sample button is designed to *not* work for the Korg factory samples, in ".kes" format. This is a proprietary, encrypted format,
                  designed to protect Korg's samples so that they can only be used
                  within the OASYS PCI environment.

                  Best regards,

                  Dan Phillips
                  Product Manager
                  Korg Research and Development

                  Personal website: http://www.danphillips.com
                  OASYS PCI: http://www.korg.com/oasyspci.htm
                • zubex@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 2, 2002
                    In a message dated 02/02/2002 11:23:00 AM Pacific Standard Time,
                    dan@... writes:

                    << The Edit Sample button is designed to *not* work for the Korg factory
                    samples, in ".kes" format. This is a proprietary, encrypted format,
                    designed to protect Korg's samples so that they can only be used
                    within the OASYS PCI environment.

                    If I designate Cool Edit as my default sample editor and then click on the
                    edit sample button, it loads the sample in, even tho it is a .kes format. The
                    problem is, Cool edit pro is a lame editor.

                    Regards,..

                    Wurdo
                  • Dan Phillips
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 3, 2002
                      RE:Re: Sample Editing 5:50 PM 2/3/02
                      zubex@... writes:

                      << The Edit Sample button is designed to *not* work for the Korg factory samples, in ".kes" format. This is a proprietary, encrypted format,
                      designed to protect Korg's samples so that they can only be used
                      within the OASYS PCI environment.

                      > If I designate Cool Edit as my default sample editor and then
                      > click on the edit sample button, it loads the sample in, even
                      > tho it is a .kes format. The problem is, Cool edit pro is a
                      > lame editor.

                      That's very interesting. I wish that I could check this on a
                      PC at home. On my Macs, the Edit Sample button is grayed out
                      when a .kes format sample is selected, so it can't be pushed
                      at all. As I wrote above, this is by design; I would expect
                      the PC version to act the same way, but perhaps it does not.

                      Even if a sample editor were to open the .kes files, I would
                      expect them to sound like random noise, due to the encryption.
                      Perhaps something is working in an unexpected way, however!

                      Note that this encryption is only for the Korg factory
                      samples. Any sounds that you have imported yourself should
                      remain fully editable.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 3, 2002
                        In a message dated 02/03/2002 5:52:37 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                        dan@... writes:

                        << Even if a sample editor were to open the .kes files, I would
                        expect them to sound like random noise, due to the encryption.
                        Perhaps something is working in an unexpected way, however!

                        You are right, Dan about the samples sounding like random noise when I load
                        them into Coll Edit. That explains why I haven't had much luck in editing
                        them. I wish that I could tweak them a little tho, to see if I could cater a
                        little more to my particular needs. Korg has the best orchestral potential of
                        any synth builder, and I would love to see how well I could 'nudge' them a
                        little closer to the real thing.
                        Thanks for your input.

                        Regards

                        Wurdo
                      • z_chromozone
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 4, 2002
                          Why not re-sample them and save them as wavs. I would take some
                          time, but should be worth it.

                          JC.

                        • zubex@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 4, 2002
                            In a message dated 02/04/2002 12:42:39 AM Pacific Standard Time,
                            stephen.carlisle@... writes:

                            << Why not re-sample them and save them as wavs. I would take some
                            time, but should be worth it.

                            That was my thought too.

                            Wurdo