Hello & Cubase+Mac questions

  • Illusion Rake
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 11, 2000
      Hello to everybody on this list...

      I am a happy Oasys owner, but I´m troubled by a couple of flaws,
      which might be DAW software or computer based. So you may have some
      knowledge that I haven´t...

      Oasys and Cubase VST/24 4.1r2 for mac
      PowerComputing PowerCenter Pro w. NewerTech G3 500mhz cpu
      MacOS 9.04, 128 meg RAM, Adaptec 2930B SCSI card

      First, I cannot use the UltraSCSI option on the Adaptec card. If I do
      so, audio gets v e r y poppy and scratchy. I have to lower the SCSI
      bandwith to 10 mhz, and even then i get som random clicks and pops
      when playing back audio from hard disk.

      The other thing is, that when playing back a couple of simultaneous
      tight sequences, the Oasys may drop of a note or too randomly. It is
      irritating, for example, when you´re mixing a song to DAT and
      suddenly a note from bassline drops...:). If I "disable audio" from
      the Cubase menu, the random note-dropping will cease.

      Could it be, that the PCI bus specs of my old PowerCenter are not
      good enough to handle Oasys and SCSI card at the same time, although
      it has enough muscle to crush all the necessary numbers and to throw
      in a couple of softsynths, too?

      I know, that it is not on the list of supported machines, but it does
      well all the other jobs and had no problems with Yamaha DSP Factory.
      Does Oasys strain the PCI bus a lot? I also noticed that in the
      resource meter the "DMAs" bar jump to almost full when I enable audio
      in Cubase, but when using Oasys stand alone, it stays low. Is this
      ASIO related?

      Also, does it matter in to what PCI slot the Oasys is plugged in? I
      have also a ProTools system (on a different machine) which has a very
      specific order for audio, SCSI and video cards.

      All in all, Oasys is a wonderful product and worth every penny.
      (Especially the bass models combined with fx rock!)

      -rake