Re: Why 32 MIDI channels when only a handful will load?

  • eric144@ntlworld.com
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 1, 2001
      This is not the answer you're looking for, I am sure but, have you
      tried looking at the resource monitor to see what's available ? ( I
      have the same concerns but the monitor crashes whenever I click on it-
      technical support don't seem to have an answer ).

      Also, I found that turning off FX autoload reduces the dsp req. for
      the program as it doesn't use the attached insert effects.

      Eric
    • shankswill@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 1, 2001
        --- In oasys-pci@y..., eric144@n... wrote:
        > This is not the answer you're looking for, I am sure but, have you
        > tried looking at the resource monitor to see what's available ? ( I
        > have the same concerns but the monitor crashes whenever I click on
        it-
        > technical support don't seem to have an answer ).
        >
        > Also, I found that turning off FX autoload reduces the dsp req. for
        > the program as it doesn't use the attached insert effects.
        >

        > Eric

        I have been fooling around with ditching effects, reducing voices,
        and from what I can tell, it's still pretty hilarious to bother
        putting 32 MIDI channels in the Oasys. Perhaps it's to assign
        individual drum sounds all to their own channel, or something similar?
        Not trying to bash the Oasys, It clearly has it's great points.
      • Corey Barton
        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 1, 2001
          better too many than too few. what would your reaction be if you were
          always running out of channels?

          Corey

          --- shankswill@... wrote:
          > --- In oasys-pci@y..., eric144@n... wrote:
          > > This is not the answer you're looking for, I am sure but, have you
          > > tried looking at the resource monitor to see what's available ? ( I
          >
          > > have the same concerns but the monitor crashes whenever I click on
          > it-
          > > technical support don't seem to have an answer ).
          > >
          > > Also, I found that turning off FX autoload reduces the dsp req. for
          >
          > > the program as it doesn't use the attached insert effects.
          > >

          > > Eric
          >
          > I have been fooling around with ditching effects, reducing voices,
          > and from what I can tell, it's still pretty hilarious to bother
          > putting 32 MIDI channels in the Oasys. Perhaps it's to assign
          > individual drum sounds all to their own channel, or something
          > similar?
          > Not trying to bash the Oasys, It clearly has it's great points.

          a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
        • Dan Phillips
          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 1, 2001
            Reply to: RE: Why 32 MIDI channels when only a handful will load?
            <shankswill@...> writes:

            > "How come I can only get 2 patches loaded into the editor before it > maxes out? I have plenty of ram and processor power. I am guessing it > is the DSP getting maxed out and that is a limitation of the card. > Am I correct or is there something wrong ? It allows for 16 > channels with 16 different patches so I would expect more then two to > work. I get an 'not enough execution cycles' error when I try to > go above this though."

            > I'm having the same problem. Mabye 1 to 3 programs per multi. Is the > norm, or should I expect more from the Oasys?
            I get between 2 and 6 Programs (with effects) at a time, about the same as I get
            from the Trinity. Adjusting the number of voices per Program is a crucial part of
            getting the most out of OASYS PCI. This is discussed in the Users Guide in a few
            places. To start, see "Loading a Program into a Multi" under "Using Multis." For
            more info, see the chapter "Managing Resources."

            > I heard the DSP was a > bit limited in the S.O.S. review, but this is obsurd.
            The SOS review was rather strange in places - especially since they were
            *complimentary* to the processing power of the Pulsar, which has less power and
            polyphony than OASYS PCI.

            Best regards,

            Dan Phillips
            Product Manager
            Korg Research and Development

            Personal website: http://www.danphillips.com
            OASYS PCI: http://www.korg.com/oasyspci.htm
          • Dan Phillips
            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 1, 2001
              <shankswill@...> writes:

              > I have been fooling around with ditching effects, reducing voices, > and from what I can tell, it's still pretty hilarious to bother > putting 32 MIDI channels in the Oasys. Perhaps it's to assign > individual drum sounds all to their own channel, or something similar?

              12 mixer channels + 4 send busses + 6 output busses = 22 MIDI
              destinations - more than 16 channels of MIDI can address. Some of
              the drum programs do use a number of channels, and I often use MIDI
              modulation on send and output busses as well as mixer channels.
              Having 32 MIDI channels allows you to leave all of these set as
              desired, without juggling.

              If we had specified only 16, I guarantee that some people would want
              32. :-)

              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 1, 2001
                Ya, but it can't come anywhere CLOSE to 32!!(At least as far as I
                can tell. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

                -Will.

                -- In oasys-pci@y..., Corey Barton <corey_barton@y...> wrote:
                > better too many than too few. what would your reaction be if
                you were
                > always running out of channels?
                >
                > Corey
                >

                > --- shankswill@y... wrote:
                > > --- In oasys-pci@y..., eric144@n... wrote:
                > > > This is not the answer you're looking for, I am sure but,
                have you
                > > > tried looking at the resource monitor to see what's
                available ? ( I

                > > > have the same concerns but the monitor crashes
                whenever I click on
                > > it-
                > > > technical support don't seem to have an answer ).
                > > >
                > > > Also, I found that turning off FX autoload reduces the dsp
                req. for

                > > > the program as it doesn't use the attached insert effects.
                > > >

                > > > Eric
                > >
                > > I have been fooling around with ditching effects, reducing
                voices,
                > > and from what I can tell, it's still pretty hilarious to bother
                > > putting 32 MIDI channels in the Oasys. Perhaps it's to assign
                > > individual drum sounds all to their own channel, or
                something
                > > similar?
                > > Not trying to bash the Oasys, It clearly has it's great points.

              • Paul Johnson
                Message 7 of 30 , Jun 1, 2001
                  shankswill@...:

                  > Ya, but it can't come anywhere CLOSE to 32!!(At least as far as I
                  > can tell. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

                  Look, the choice was 16 or 32. Which would you prefer?
                • shankswill@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jun 1, 2001
                    --- In oasys-pci@y..., Paul Johnson <rhodiad@p...> wrote:
                    > shankswill@y...:
                    >
                    > > Ya, but it can't come anywhere CLOSE to 32!!(At least as far
                    as I
                    > > can tell. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
                    >
                    > Look, the choice was 16 or 32. Which would you prefer?

                    Okay, okay.....I see it now.
                    -Will.
                  • TRACE
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jun 1, 2001
                      Hi Will

                      I guess it all depends on what type of sounds you are
                      trying to use at the same time. i mix PCM with PM
                      sounds and have gotten 5 & 6 at a time this way. I
                      admit that the way I intended to use the Oasys was as
                      a boost to my other synths so I didn't expect to get
                      alot of sounds at once, just really good sounds for
                      the most critical parts in my songs. I also don't see
                      a major problem with recording a part if I did need
                      more from the Oasys.
                      Hey its better to actually have the sound, but have to
                      print it to disk than to not have the sound at all.

                      TRACE :)

                      http://www.korg.com/oasys_pci_faq_html/oasys_pci_tech_support.htm

                      > This mailing list, however, is not a forum for
                      > technical support.
                      >
                      > Members of the Korg R&D product development team
                      > read the list, and
                      > enjoy participating in discussions as their
                      > schedules permit. Please
                      > note that these are not technical support personnel.
                      > Much as they
                      > like talking with people about the product, and may
                      > occasionally
                      > offer assistance, they unfortunately cannot answer
                      > all technical
                      > support questions.
                      >

                      > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      =====
                      JAMTRAX
                      Music Production

                      Message 10 of 30 , Jun 2, 2001
                        I am beginning to accept the Oasys for what it is. For me, it's my
                        primary synth, but I'm sure I'll get used to just commiting my tracks
                        more frequently Thanks, Trace.
                        -Will.

                      • JJones@lexarmedia.com
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jun 2, 2001
                          --- In oasys-pci@y..., shankswill@y... wrote:

                          > Ya, but it can't come anywhere CLOSE to 32!!(At least as far as I
                          > can tell. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
                          >
                          > -Will.
                          >
                          > -- In oasys-pci@y..., Corey Barton <corey_barton@y...> wrote:
                          > > better too many than too few. what would your reaction be if
                          > you were
                          > > always running out of channels?
                          > >
                          > > Corey
                          > >

                          > > --- shankswill@y... wrote:
                          > have you
                          > available ? ( I

                          > whenever I click on
                          > > > it-

                          > req. for

                          > > > I have been fooling around with ditching effects, reducing
                          > voices,
                          > > > and from what I can tell, it's still pretty hilarious to bother
                          > > > putting 32 MIDI channels in the Oasys. Perhaps it's to assign
                          > > > individual drum sounds all to their own channel, or
                          > something
                          > > > similar?
                          > > > Not trying to bash the Oasys, It clearly has it's great points.
                          > > >

                          > > Hello Folks;

                          I just had to say something, in the case of 32 MIDI channels, its
                          better to have too much than not enough, now the real question
                          is "Why didn't they think that way when implementing the DSP chips"
                          thats the REAL Question...folks....just had to say something.

                          Jimi Jones
                        • emusic1@mindspring.com
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jun 2, 2001
                            While on the subject of MIDI channels.... What I would like
                            is a way to select only a set number of Oasys channels in
                            OMS setup. I have noticed with devices that are not attached
                            to an external interface that you cannot do this in OMS..
                            Even though a device may be multitimbral I never use more than
                            2-3 channels on any particular external MIDI device anyway due
                            to polyphony issues and its nice just to select those 2 or 3
                            particular channels.
                            Not being able to do this with Oasys resutls 32 repetitions of the
                            device in the OMS instrument list (in my case Vision) I would guess
                            its the same for other apps. I can delete the ones I won't need in
                            Vision and save that as a custom instrument list but it would be
                            nicer if you could just do it in the OMS setup and have that as
                            your default config so that say Oasys A,1,2,3 would be all that
                            showed up, helping to reduce clutter.... and speeding up instrument
                            selection.

                            later,
                            Nev.
                          • TRACE
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jun 2, 2001
                              If you get MOTU Freemidi, you can run Freemidi in OMS
                              emulation mode and Freemidi will allow you to turn off
                              midi channels you don't need, under Edit Device.

                              TRACE :)

                            • rpeck@rpeck.com
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jun 5, 2001
                                --- In oasys-pci@y..., TRACE <jamtrax2001@y...> wrote:
                                > If you get MOTU Freemidi, you can run Freemidi in OMS
                                > emulation mode and Freemidi will allow you to turn off
                                > midi channels you don't need, under Edit Device.

                                OMS emulation mode? Does this work with Logic?

                                I just upgraded my music mac and haven't reinstalled OMS
                                yet. Kinda loathe to. If I can use FreeMIDI with Logic
                                that would potentially save me some worry.
                              • emusic1@mindspring.com
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jun 5, 2001
                                  Yes I think Freemidi using OMS emulation will work with Logic.
                                  But it cannot be later than Freemidi 1.38 , they dropped
                                  OMS emulation after that. Your MIDI interface needs to be supported
                                  by Freemidi too. Opcode products cannot use this trick since
                                  they require OMS 2 and Freemidi only emulates OMS 1 ,(fine
                                  for Logic,so they say).

                                  Later,
                                  Nev.

                                  --- In oasys-pci@y..., rpeck@r... wrote:
                                  > --- In oasys-pci@y..., TRACE <jamtrax2001@y...> wrote:
                                  > > If you get MOTU Freemidi, you can run Freemidi in OMS
                                  > > emulation mode and Freemidi will allow you to turn off
                                  > > midi channels you don't need, under Edit Device.
                                  >
                                  > OMS emulation mode? Does this work with Logic?
                                  >
                                  > I just upgraded my music mac and haven't reinstalled OMS
                                  > yet. Kinda loathe to. If I can use FreeMIDI with Logic
                                  > that would potentially save me some worry.
                                • A-NO-NE Music
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jun 5, 2001
                                    on 01.6.5 11:23 PM, emusic1@... at emusic1@... wrote:
                                    > Yes I think Freemidi using OMS emulation will work with Logic.
                                    > But it cannot be later than Freemidi 1.38 , they dropped
                                    > OMS emulation after that. Your MIDI interface needs to be supported
                                    > by Freemidi too. Opcode products cannot use this trick since
                                    > they require OMS 2 and Freemidi only emulates OMS 1 ,(fine
                                    > for Logic,so they say).

                                    Newer FreeMIDI versions let you run OMS and FM at the same time. Genuine
                                    OMS, not emulated one. Is it good enough for you?

                                    Hiro

                                    Hiroaki Honshuku mailto:hiro@...
                                    A-NO-NE Music, Cambridge, MA, http://www.a-no-ne.com
                                  • A-NO-NE Music
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jun 5, 2001
                                      I was wondering if I am the only one wishing for a build-in soft keyboard
                                      within Oasys. Or is there such already that I missed?

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jun 5, 2001
                                        A-NO-NE Music:

                                        > I was wondering if I am the only one wishing for a build-in soft keyboard
                                        > within Oasys. Or is there such already that I missed?

                                        Boy, I'd love to have that, too, Hiro! Is it there? Are we newbies just
                                        missing it? Do tell, list!
                                      • Peezahj@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jun 6, 2001
                                          Analog-X has a freeware virtual piano you can use, get it here:

                                          http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/audio/vpiano.htm

                                          Sure, it's not quite the same as having one built-in to the Oasys
                                          environment but you could hardly call it a nuisance, either. It's
                                          not worth the effort someone would have to make to create the thing
                                          when a perfectly viable solution already exhists.

                                          -Eric Dahlberg

                                          > No, there isn't one but why would you want it? Just curious.
                                          > You need MIDI input from a sequencer or external keyboard if you
                                          are
                                          > going to record anything anyway.
                                          >
                                          > - Jouni
                                        • Paul Johnson
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jun 6, 2001
                                            Peezahj@...:

                                            > Analog-X has a freeware virtual piano you can use, get it here:
                                            >
                                            > http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/audio/vpiano.htm

                                            Perfect. Only... is there a Mac-compatible option by any chance?
                                          • alkio@hkkk.fi
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Jun 6, 2001

                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jun 6, 2001
                                                > Perfect. Only... is there a Mac-compatible option by any chance?

                                                Doh! Sorry, sorry, sorry, I keep forgetting that this was originally
                                                a Mac-only list. So...uh...will Synth Kit run on a powerbook?

                                                -Eric Dahlberg
                                              • A-NO-NE Music
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Jun 6, 2001
                                                  on 6/6/01 4:12 AM, alkio@... at wrote:
                                                  > No, there isn't one but why would you want it? Just curious.
                                                  > You need MIDI input from a sequencer or external keyboard if you are
                                                  > going to record anything anyway.

                                                  It's just for my convenience only.

                                                  In my project studio, my Oasys dedicated Mac is left with the editor up.
                                                  Other things never gets turned off are MTP/AV, DTP, DP machine, and Win2K
                                                  machines. But I turn off all the rest of the gear.

                                                  I found almost every night after I turn off my rig, "oh, maybe that tweak
                                                  get me that sound.." kinda thing but controller keyboard is already off, and
                                                  DP machine has exit DP already. It has been discouraging to go back to work
                                                  with Oasys once I turn off the rig. I thought Soft Keyboard will get me
                                                  where I want on this scenario. That's all.

                                                  Hiro

                                                  Hiroaki Honshuku mailto:hiro@... mailto:madflute@...
                                                  A-NO-NE Music, Cambridge, MA http://a-no-ne.com
                                                • emusic1@mindspring.com
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Jun 6, 2001
                                                    No :-) Apparently the OMS emulation in Freemidi has better
                                                    timing resolution than the real thing! as well as less
                                                    68k emulation switches.This is the whole reason to use Freemidi
                                                    with OMS emulation for an app that normally uses OMS.

                                                    For reference: see www.hinton.co.uk and/or do a Google
                                                    search for: Freemidi "Oms Emulation"

                                                    Later,
                                                    Nev.

                                                  • rpeck@rpeck.com
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Jun 6, 2001
                                                      --- In oasys-pci@y..., A-NO-NE Music <madflute@m...> wrote:
                                                      > Newer FreeMIDI versions let you run OMS and FM at the same time.
                                                      Genuine
                                                      > OMS, not emulated one. Is it good enough for you?

                                                      I don't know. The only thing I've used OMS for in the
                                                      past was just to have Logic talk to my MOTU Midi Express XT.
                                                      I keep reading messages about it being toxic and now unsupported,
                                                      so I was trying to find an alternative to virtually wire
                                                      my new Oasys to Logic (and Reaktor, now that I'm finally on
                                                      8.6 and can install it on my Mac).
                                                    • Tim Gotch
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Jun 6, 2001
                                                        On Wed, 6 Jun 2001 alkio@... wrote:

                                                        > > A-NO-NE Music:
                                                        > >
                                                        > > > I was wondering if I am the only one wishing for a build-in soft
                                                        > > > keyboard within Oasys. Or is there such already that I missed?
                                                        > >
                                                        > > Boy, I'd love to have that, too, Hiro! Is it there? Are we newbies
                                                        > > just missing it? Do tell, list!
                                                        >
                                                        > No, there isn't one but why would you want it? Just curious.
                                                        > You need MIDI input from a sequencer or external keyboard if you are
                                                        > going to record anything anyway.
                                                        >
                                                        > - Jouni

                                                        I'd like to have one. Because of how I have my MIDI stuff setup with both
                                                        OMS and the Logic internal drivers, I currently need to open Logic just to
                                                        audition a sound. A soft keyboard would be mighty convenient.

                                                        tim
                                                      • Andre Vargas
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Jun 6, 2001
                                                          If you can locate my previous post (Logic,OMS,OASYS?) you will find a way to
                                                          use OMS to communicate with both OASYS and Reaktor (as I do) without using
                                                          it to communicate with your Motu interface.
                                                          From my experience, ALL the problems regarding OMS and Logic are only when
                                                          using OMS to address EXTERNAL equipment which is not required under the
                                                          dual-MIDI engine configuration. And I would also recomend against using
                                                          FreeMidi under OMS emulation mode with Logic. This rarely works and can be
                                                          the source of numerous "mystery" crashs.

                                                          BTW- Reaktor was supposed to have a special Environment object in Logic so
                                                          that it could be used without OMS. This has yet to arrive.

                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Jun 6, 2001
                                                            --- In oasys-pci@y..., "Andre Vargas" <kriptomel@h...> wrote:
                                                            > If you can locate my previous post (Logic,OMS,OASYS?) you will find
                                                            a way to
                                                            > use OMS to communicate with both OASYS and Reaktor (as I do)
                                                            without using
                                                            > it to communicate with your Motu interface.
                                                            > From my experience, ALL the problems regarding OMS and Logic are
                                                            only when
                                                            > using OMS to address EXTERNAL equipment which is not required under
                                                            the
                                                            > dual-MIDI engine configuration.

                                                            THANKS! This is EXACTLY the information I was looking for!
                                                            So, Logic talks to Oasys and Reaktor through OMS, and to
                                                            the MIDI Express directly. Super!

                                                            > BTW- Reaktor was supposed to have a special Environment object in
                                                            Logic so
                                                            > that it could be used without OMS. This has yet to arrive.

                                                            Yes, this flares up on the Reaktor lists every couple months.

                                                            Thanks again!
                                                          • TRACE
                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Jun 6, 2001
                                                              I believe that under Logic you use Freemidi in OMS
                                                              emulation mode as well.

                                                              TRACE :)