Re: [oasys-pci] Goodbye Oasys.

  • Joe F.
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 1, 2009
      On the G4 Mac I have no problems running LOTS of stuff alongside
      Oasys; I mean, Digital Performer is a serious processor hit, but it
      all runs smoothly. Even better since I upgraded the processor, but it
      was good with the original 450 GHz.

      I agree with your agreement on the new Oasys, but I don't think
      they're done yet, so let's see what happens. I saw a company coming
      out with a cheap compact unit that loads VSTs, one version even has a
      built-in expression pedal. The UAD cards continue to be popular, and
      new models of those are out. So maybe bringing OASYS technology down
      to the semi-pro price point will make sense to the marketing crew at
      some point.

      As far as running patches for the Oasys PCI, I think they would depend
      on the specific DSP chips being present. I don't know what's in the
      current Oasys, but probably not the same Motorola chips we have. So
      the patches would have to be re-compiled (at a minimum).

      Joe F.

      Happy 2009 Everyone!

      On Dec 31, 2008, at 3:02 PM, Othal,Hail,&Thorn wrote:

      > I agree that a Mac G4 or such is the best choice. I however am using
      > a 1 Unit rack case with a PCI extender ribbon, an ASUS motherboard
      > which is slightly older using an AMD K8 CPU, very similar to the
      > ITOX case Nick mentioned. I am using Windows 98 ME and 2 HDD's both
      > 100 GB. I have absolutely 'No' other software running on it with the
      > exception of OASYS PCI of course. I have the light pipes going in
      > and out to my MOTU 828 MK3, and that goes to my DAW via Fire Wire
      > connection which is in a 4 unit rack case running XP Pro. My mouse
      > and Keyboard are both PS2 and my flat panel monitor is hooked up
      > using standard analog to a KVM switch, . . . . this allows me to
      > toggle between my DAW, and my OASYS PCI making it possible to have
      > just one mouse, monitor and keyboard. I consider this a fantastic
      > set up! I even had the front panel of the OASYS PCI rack airbrushed
      > saying KORG OASYS R in the same font as the new OASYS keyboard.
      >
      > Anyhow the trick whether your using a Mac or a PC to host the OASYS
      > card is to use it for just that and not a thing a else (especially
      > for Windows 98), simply regard it as you would any other rack mount
      > synth, . . . using the KVM switch makes it extremely convenient to
      > use a set up such as the one I described. So again. . . Windows 98
      > OASYS PCI and nothing else.
      >
      > Hope this helps!
      >
      > Cheers!!
      >
      > !ERIK!
      >
      > P.S. I agree that Korg has not employed the same amazing
      > technologies, and power as they did with the OASYS PCI. Perhaps I
      > would think differently if the newer OASYS keyboard could run all
      > the PCI's presets and 3rd party synths and effects, etc so fourth &
      > so on, and being that it is entirely software inside,..... nothing
      > could have possibly stopped Korg from making that possible, and if
      > they had the New OASYS with what it can do now paired with the
      > technologies and abilities of the PCI would be a truly earth
      > shattering machine!
      >

      > !HONOURABLE WOLFE!

    • mahuska1
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
        I've been reading this thread and here is my comments. Way back when
        I upgraded to Cubase SX(which needed XP) I bought another machine.
        It was a IBM. Sold that after awhile and bought a Beige Tower G3. It
        only had 64 megs of ram but ran Oasys fine. I got a Mini Minimac
        interface and was set. I recently took out 128megs of ram from my old
        Dell and put it io the G3. Recently been getting back to using the
        Oasys. I do really like it(wish you could use cc's though). I can
        use the spdif, analog and adat connections to and from Cubase SX on my
        PC running XP(have a Echo Gina 24 card). My point is you can pick up
        and old PC or Mac capable of running Oasys for peanuts now. My advice
        Keep it
      • Ian Lamb
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
          > Recently been getting back to using the Oasys.
          > I do really like it(wish you could use cc's though).

          You can use MIDI CCs with the Korg OASYS PCI. Simply assign them in
          the MIDI/Global tab/pane of the Preferences window.

          Granted, you are limited to 8 assignments, but assigning them in this
          manner means you can make global changes and not have to reassign a
          great number of OASYS PCI Programs you have created.

          cheers,
          Ian
        • Nick Rothwell
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 2, 2009
            On 2 Jan 2009, at 18:47, Ian Lamb wrote:

            > Granted, you are limited to 8 assignments, but assigning them in this
            > manner means you can make global changes and not have to reassign a
            > great number of OASYS PCI Programs you have created.

            And these eight assignments are, I believe, in addition to the fixed
            controller assignments for controlling the mixer (levels, sends, mutes
            etc.).

            -- N.

            Nick Rothwell / Cassiel.com Limited
            www.cassiel.com
            www.myspace.com/cassieldotcom
            www.last.fm/music/cassiel
            www.reverbnation.com/cassiel
            www.linkedin.com/in/cassiel
            www.loadbang.net
          • Ed Miles
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 5, 2009
              I gave up on windows machines somewhere between 98 and XP - left
              cakewalk behind too. I never had much luck with them unless I was
              Using Logic.

              Mine was happiest in a G4 450 running Logic 6 / Reason 2.5 and DP3.11.
              had loads of fun with those two and learned alot.

              My OASYS is currently sitting in a PM9600 as an effects processor /
              Synth box for my G5, connected with S/PDIF and ADAT.
              Works like a charm.

              I almost turned it into a stage rig, but never got the stones to drag
              out the G4, Mouse, Monitor and rack to a gig. Great composition rig
              though.

              There are resellers here in town that sell G4 Sawtooths, Digital
              Audios, and Gigabit Ethernet models for as low as $75.

              My G4 isn't the fastest thing on the planet, but it can still handle
              some tracking - the integration w/ DP3 is amazing.

              Ed
            • Andrew Sciarretta
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 17, 2009
                Hello,

                Is there a way to set a given sample to an exclusive group number (for instance 1 instead of none) in the multisample window?

                I have krypton 2e loaded up with the "Standard Kit" drumset.  When looking at the drumkit multisample window, I see that the hi hats are all set to exclusive group "1" which makes sense, so they will mute each other, then when I load in a different open hi hat sample from the catalog/samples/ area, that sample reverts its exclusive group back to none and I can't set it to 1 and make it stick?

                Any ideas on this detail would be appreciated,
                thanks,
                -Andrew

              • paulbug61
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 23, 2009
                  I Sold my Oasys then i missed the sounds so much that i bought another
                  one about 3/4 years later. I was so happy when i got it back again and
                  set it up in it's own little tower just like a rack synth. Now i run
                  it through my Saffire 26 pro, it sounds so good. There arent many
                  vst's that come close to it's sound. i'll never sell it again, if
                  anthing i'll buy another!
                • Jexx
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 23, 2009
                    --- In oasys-pci@yahoogroups.com, "paulbug61" <paulbug61@...> wrote:

                    > I Sold my Oasys then i missed the sounds so much that i bought another
                    > one about 3/4 years later. I was so happy when i got it back again and
                    > set it up in it's own little tower just like a rack synth. Now i run
                    > it through my Saffire 26 pro, it sounds so good. There arent many
                    > vst's that come close to it's sound. i'll never sell it again, if
                    > anthing i'll buy another!

                    I am still trying to sell my Oasys. 175.00 plus shipping in US.
                    Everything is in top shape with all items, box and manual like new. I
                    no longer have win98 or the machine.

                    Anyone have any interest??