Problems installing new software for the Oasys.

  • antsb2001
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 12, 2008
      Hello All,

      I am afraid I come here seeking help.

      I have been a long time lurker on this group for several years having owned an oasys pci
      card since 2002 but have not posted before now.

      Two weekends ago I took the plunge and purchased both Harm Vissers and Alex Aliferis'
      bundles for the Oasys.

      I received the Zip files and burnt them onto a disk on a Imac G5 running OS10.4.11 and
      tried to install them in my Oasys machine (G3 os9.2.2, Oasys 2.0.2). The Programs and
      effects (Harms) installed perfectly. However the patches, the .oas files in Harm's bundle
      and the patches and effects from Alex's , would not. I tried the autotyper program and
      that had no effect on the .oas this was the same for both the files expanded within the G3
      and those expanded on the G5.

      I have tried opening the catalogue as described in the manual and trying to match up
      programs to patches but the patches remain greyed out in the PCI editor and are not
      available to open so you can not find them for the catalogue, even after closing the
      catalogue.

      The files resist the norms of Oasys by not taking on the icons and can not be seen as
      patches by the catalogue or by the editor.

      I am at a loss.

      I have re-installed Oasys and updated it again to 2.0.2. after binning the preferences and
      have re-installed the autotyper program after reading the posts from February.
      I have re- installed os9.2.2.

      Still I have two sets of patches - some that are blank documents and others that present
      like text files depending on whether they were unpacked on the G5 or the G3.

      Whilst searching through the group I came accross the the link to the .sit file for the
      ModYalator folder. I downloaded it and was able to install it in the Oasys without the
      difficulty I was experiencing with the other bundles. I Just wonder if this is relevant.

      Any thoughts on this problem would be much appreciated.

      Thankyou in advance

      Anthony
    • Lenny Stearns
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 12, 2008
        Try rebuilding the desktop. That can solve a lot of the missing icon and
        unassociated file problems.

        Regards,
        Lenny

[...]

        Contacting Korg Technical Support

        Korg's world-wide network of Korg Distributors is ready, willing,
        and able to handle all technical support questions. For information
        on contacting their tech support departments, see the OASYS PCI FAQ:

        http://www.korg.com/oasys_pci_faq_html/oasys_pci_tech_support.htm

        This mailing list, however, is not a forum for technical support.

        Members of the Korg R&D product development team read the list, and
        enjoy participating in discussions as their schedules permit. Please
        note that these are not technical support personnel. Much as they
        like talking with people about the product, and may occasionally
        offer assistance, they unfortunately cannot answer all technical
        support questions.

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • John Abram
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 12, 2008
          On 12/03/2008, antsb2001 <anthonyball@...> wrote:

          > Hello All,
          >
          > I am afraid I come here seeking help.
          >
          > I have been a long time lurker on this group for several years having owned an oasys pci
          > card since 2002 but have not posted before now.
          >
          > Two weekends ago I took the plunge and purchased both Harm Vissers and Alex Aliferis'
          > bundles for the Oasys.
          >
          > I received the Zip files and burnt them onto a disk on a Imac G5 running OS10.4.11 and
          > tried to install them in my Oasys machine (G3 os9.2.2, Oasys 2.0.2). The Programs and
          > effects (Harms) installed perfectly. However the patches, the .oas files in Harm's bundle
          > and the patches and effects from Alex's , would not. I tried the autotyper program and
          > that had no effect on the .oas this was the same for both the files expanded within the G3
          > and those expanded on the G5.
          >
          > I have tried opening the catalogue as described in the manual and trying to match up
          > programs to patches but the patches remain greyed out in the PCI editor and are not
          > available to open so you can not find them for the catalogue, even after closing the
          > catalogue.
          >
          > The files resist the norms of Oasys by not taking on the icons and can not be seen as
          > patches by the catalogue or by the editor.
          >
          > I am at a loss.
          >
          > I have re-installed Oasys and updated it again to 2.0.2. after binning the preferences and
          > have re-installed the autotyper program after reading the posts from February.
          > I have re- installed os9.2.2.
          >
          > Still I have two sets of patches - some that are blank documents and others that present
          > like text files depending on whether they were unpacked on the G5 or the G3.
          >
          > Whilst searching through the group I came accross the the link to the .sit file for the
          > ModYalator folder. I downloaded it and was able to install it in the Oasys without the
          > difficulty I was experiencing with the other bundles. I Just wonder if this is relevant.
          >
          > Any thoughts on this problem would be much appreciated.
          >
          > Thankyou in advance
          >
          > Anthony

          I recently bought them too, and had to use Applescripts to get them to
          work - I will send them to you if you are not comfortable using
          Applescript. btw it's well worth the effort!
          --
          with best wishes,
          John
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 13, 2008
            Hello all,

            Panic over. I have solved the problem. It took clearing out the old Autotyper program and
            re-installing it from the Oasys PCI website. Along the way I re- installed the Oasys software
            and Os 9.2.2 but re-installing the autotyper program appears to be the clincher.

            Now for the normal everyday frustrations of music making!

            Best wishes all,

            Anthony
          • antsb2001
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 14, 2008
              Hi,

              Thanks both.

              Firstly Lenny, I had forgotten about that solution. Sometimes I wish I kept a notebook of
              solutions but I still don't learn.

              Secondly, John, I would be very interested in your scripts should I face this problem again. I
              am definitely not confident using applescript.

              I struggled to find the solution for 5 days but I can say that I am very happy with the two
              bundles - maybe it was delayed gratification.

              Best regards

              Anthony
            • Joe F.
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 14, 2008
                I don't have it in front of me now but it's possible to enter all the
                Oasys file types into the File Sharing control panel, then the MAc
                will automatically recognize them by extension. I remember something
                was tricky about it, but it works fine (and permanently) when it's done.

                Joe F.

                On Mar 14, 2008, at 3:26 PM, antsb2001 wrote:

                > Hi,
                >
                > Thanks both.
                >
                > Firstly Lenny, I had forgotten about that solution. Sometimes I
                > wish I kept a notebook of
                > solutions but I still don't learn.
                >
                > Secondly, John, I would be very interested in your scripts should I
                > face this problem again. I
                > am definitely not confident using applescript.
                >
                > I struggled to find the solution for 5 days but I can say that I am
                > very happy with the two
                > bundles - maybe it was delayed gratification.
                >
                > Best regards
                >
                > Anthony
              • Lenny Stearns
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 14, 2008
                  "File Sharing control panel" - man, that takes me back. :-)

                  - Lenny

                  > I don't have it in front of me now but it's possible to enter all the
                  > Oasys file types into the File Sharing control panel, then the MAc
                  > will automatically recognize them by extension. I remember something
                  > was tricky about it, but it works fine (and permanently) when it's done.
                  >
                  > Joe F.
                  >
                  > On Mar 14, 2008, at 3:26 PM, antsb2001 wrote:
                  >
                  >> Hi,
                  >>
                  >> Thanks both.
                  >>
                  >> Firstly Lenny, I had forgotten about that solution. Sometimes I
                  >> wish I kept a notebook of
                  >> solutions but I still don't learn.
                  >>
                  >> Secondly, John, I would be very interested in your scripts should I
                  >> face this problem again. I
                  >> am definitely not confident using applescript.
                  >>
                  >> I struggled to find the solution for 5 days but I can say that I am
                  >> very happy with the two
                  >> bundles - maybe it was delayed gratification.
                  >>
                  >> Best regards
                  >>
                  >> Anthony

                  > Contacting Korg Technical Support
                  >
                  > Korg's world-wide network of Korg Distributors is ready, willing,
                  > and able to handle all technical support questions. For information
                  > on contacting their tech support departments, see the OASYS PCI FAQ:
                  >
                  > http://www.korg.com/oasys_pci_faq_html/oasys_pci_tech_support.htm
                  >
                  > This mailing list, however, is not a forum for technical support.
                  >
                  > Members of the Korg R&D product development team read the list, and
                  > enjoy participating in discussions as their schedules permit. Please
                  > note that these are not technical support personnel. Much as they
                  > like talking with people about the product, and may occasionally
                  > offer assistance, they unfortunately cannot answer all technical
                  > support questions.
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Nick Rothwell
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 14, 2008
                    On 14 Mar 2008, at 19:50, Lenny Stearns wrote:

                    > "File Sharing control panel" - man, that takes me back. :-)

                    Could be worse: it could have been a Desk Accessory.

                    -- N.

                    Nick Rothwell / Cassiel.com Limited
                    www.cassiel.com
                    www.myspace.com/cassieldotcom
                    www.last.fm/music/cassiel
                    www.reverbnation.com/cassiel
                    www.linkedin.com/in/cassiel
                    www.loadbang.net
                  • John Abram
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 14, 2008
                      On 14/03/2008, Joe F. <joef1@...> wrote:

                      > I don't have it in front of me now but it's possible to enter all the
                      > Oasys file types into the File Sharing control panel, then the MAc
                      > will automatically recognize them by extension. I remember something
                      > was tricky about it, but it works fine (and permanently) when it's done.

                      Do you mean "File Exchange"? If you remember how it's done please let us know.

                      > > Secondly, John, I would be very interested in your scripts should I
                      > > face this problem again. I
                      > > am definitely not confident using applescript.

                      May I send them to your email directly? I think the list strips attachments.

                      --
                      with best wishes,
                      John
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 14, 2008
                        LOL - now that's nostalgia!
                        - Lenny

                        > On 14 Mar 2008, at 19:50, Lenny Stearns wrote:
                        >
                        >> "File Sharing control panel" - man, that takes me back. :-)
                        >
                        > Could be worse: it could have been a Desk Accessory.
                        >
                        > -- N.
                        >

                        > Nick Rothwell / Cassiel.com Limited
                        > www.cassiel.com
                        > www.myspace.com/cassieldotcom
                        > www.last.fm/music/cassiel
                        > www.reverbnation.com/cassiel
                        > www.linkedin.com/in/cassiel
                        > www.loadbang.net

                        > Contacting Korg Technical Support
                        >
                        > Korg's world-wide network of Korg Distributors is ready, willing,
                        > and able to handle all technical support questions. For information
                        > on contacting their tech support departments, see the OASYS PCI FAQ:
                        >
                        > http://www.korg.com/oasys_pci_faq_html/oasys_pci_tech_support.htm
                        >
                        > This mailing list, however, is not a forum for technical support.
                        >
                        > Members of the Korg R&D product development team read the list, and
                        > enjoy participating in discussions as their schedules permit. Please
                        > note that these are not technical support personnel. Much as they
                        > like talking with people about the product, and may occasionally
                        > offer assistance, they unfortunately cannot answer all technical
                        > support questions.
                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Joe F.
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 27, 2008
                          Yes, that's correct, File Exchange.
                          Unfortunately I have everything disconnected at the moment, but it
                          should be pretty much self-explanatory. You just go thru the Oasys
                          files types and add them to the list associating the extensions to the
                          Oasys Editor app. I think when you choose the app you get a choice of
                          the file types it handles. As I recall, the biggest hassle was that I
                          had to scroll through a loooong list for each one, because it kept
                          resetting itself to the top.

                          I expect to have it all plugged in again next week, so let me know if
                          you don't get it and I'll look up the details.

                          Joe F.