Do many people use a computer+oasys as a standalone synth?

  • Jon Francis
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 15 7:22 PM
      Now that after using a daw with 10 year mac desktops and upgrading now
      to a new laptop + fw interface, I was wondering if its worth keeping
      the Oasys with its host computer and use that as sort of glorified
      hardware synth?

      Thanks.

      (i remember when this group was going gangbusters....how times have
      changed) ;)
    • Othal,Hail,&Thorn
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 15 7:50 PM
        Hallo Jon!,

        Indeed a lot of people do, I recommend getting a new case for your OASYS PCI host computer (easier done if its a PC), Something as small as you can get it, even in a 2U rackmount case, sleek and black, some people have gotten them in a 1U rack case. I went w/ a 2U and even had it professionally stenciled w/ the current Korg and OASYS font, and had an R put at the end of it to designate rack. It looks like it was bought this way! Anyway yeah have fun w/ it, and certainly don't give it up if you are still using and enjoying it. And it sure is a truly affordable device compared to the newest OASYS, which isn't in the exact same spirit as PCI anyway, i.e. no third party synths.

        Cheers!!! : )

        !ERIK!

        Jon Francis <turnthatdamnthingoff@...> wrote: Now that after using a daw with 10 year mac desktops and upgrading now
        to a new laptop + fw interface, I was wondering if its worth keeping
        the Oasys with its host computer and use that as sort of glorified
        hardware synth?

        Thanks.

        (i remember when this group was going gangbusters....how times have
        changed) ;)

        !HONOURABLE WOLFE!

      • Jon Francis
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 16 6:30 AM
          Hi Erik...thanks! :)

          Do you have any links to companies that do these kind of conversions?

          Cheers

          --- In oasys-pci@yahoogroups.com, "Othal,Hail,&Thorn"
          <ingmanerik23@...> wrote:

          > Hallo Jon!,
          >
          > Indeed a lot of people do, I recommend getting a new case for your
          OASYS PCI host computer (easier done if its a PC), Something as small
          as you can get it, even in a 2U rackmount case, sleek and black, some
          people have gotten them in a 1U rack case. I went w/ a 2U and even had
          it professionally stenciled w/ the current Korg and OASYS font, and
          had an R put at the end of it to designate rack. It looks like it was
          bought this way! Anyway yeah have fun w/ it, and certainly don't give
          it up if you are still using and enjoying it. And it sure is a truly
          affordable device compared to the newest OASYS, which isn't in the
          exact same spirit as PCI anyway, i.e. no third party synths.

          > Cheers!!! : )
          >
          > !ERIK!

        • Elmar Kurgpold
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 16 8:33 PM
            There are a bunch of people doing exactly that. I have an old G3 slated for
            this purpose once I upgrade my G4 or get a new system and am no longer using
            OS9 for music. No question. Just do it.

            Elmar

            On 8/15/07, Jon Francis <turnthatdamnthingoff@...> wrote:

            > Now that after using a daw with 10 year mac desktops and upgrading now
            > to a new laptop + fw interface, I was wondering if its worth keeping
            > the Oasys with its host computer and use that as sort of glorified
            > hardware synth?
            >
            > Thanks.
            >
            > (i remember when this group was going gangbusters....how times have
            > changed) ;)

          • Jon Francis
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 17 7:50 AM
              Thanks. As it is right now I have a 16 space rack case with my 7600 with a G3 500 card in it
              that was my daw. It sits at the bottom and contains the Oasys and the PCI card for the MOTU
              2408. I'm guessing that I would obviously need a dedicated small lcd monitor also.

              At some point I shouls also see what the prices are for whatever was the last powermac
              revision that dual booted OS9 & X.

              No matter what their should be an available used supply of older powermacs on hand to host
              the Oasys. I'll be long dead before that dries up. ; )