Re: HardSID Quattro + Oasys = olala!

  • jarzantarzan
    Message 1 of 18 , May 6, 2007
      About HardSID Mac drivers: YES, it has an OSX compatible audio driver
      and NO, it has no MIDI drivers. According to the developer, there
      won't be any as no one (except me, of course :)) is interested...

      So you can listen to your favorite C64 tunes on it but cannot use it
      for sequencing.

      Peter

      > Howdy,
      >

      > Yesterday I made some initial tests with my oddball HardSID soundcard
      > and the Oasys. Damn! For those who don't know what the HardSID is, it's
      > a soundcard which takes up to four SID-ICs. And for those who don't know
      > what a SID is... it's the sound chip in the legendary Commodore C64
      > computer, created by one of the guys behind the Ensoniq..
      >

      > But... C64? Beep, boop, bip? Well, the SID has 3 voices. Since there was
      > only one chip in the C64, that single chip had to do everything. In the
      > HardSID, you have 4 of them, which means you can use it as it was
      > originally intended.
      >

      > Naturally, it's a matter of taste. The SID doesn't have the cleanest
      > sound in the world, but that's part of it's unique sound. The SIDStation
      > costs (well, it's been discontinued but anyway) 10 times as much, and
      > only offers only a single SID.
      >

      > Link: www.hardsid.com (unfortunately the demo songs on the page suck)
      >

      > -- Peter

    • Peter Persson
      Message 2 of 18 , May 7, 2007
        On the other hand... in this group, we're pretty used to building
        dedicated PC:s for stuff :)

        -- Peter

        ________________________________

        About HardSID Mac drivers: YES, it has an OSX compatible audio driver
        and NO, it has no MIDI drivers. According to the developer, there
        won't be any as no one (except me, of course :)) is interested...

        So you can listen to your favorite C64 tunes on it but cannot use it
        for sequencing.

        Peter

        > Howdy,
        >

        > Yesterday I made some initial tests with my oddball HardSID soundcard
        > and the Oasys. Damn! For those who don't know what the HardSID is,
        it's
        > a soundcard which takes up to four SID-ICs. And for those who don't
        know
        > what a SID is... it's the sound chip in the legendary Commodore C64
        > computer, created by one of the guys behind the Ensoniq..
        >

        > But... C64? Beep, boop, bip? Well, the SID has 3 voices. Since there
        was
        > only one chip in the C64, that single chip had to do everything. In
        the
        > HardSID, you have 4 of them, which means you can use it as it was
        > originally intended.
        >

        > Naturally, it's a matter of taste. The SID doesn't have the cleanest
        > sound in the world, but that's part of it's unique sound. The
        SIDStation
        > costs (well, it's been discontinued but anyway) 10 times as much, and
        > only offers only a single SID.
        >

        > Link: www.hardsid.com (unfortunately the demo songs on the page suck)
        >

        > -- Peter

      • SergioMMMS
        Message 3 of 18 , May 9, 2007
          I´m just writing to let you guys know I´m selling my backup system,
          comprised of the actual pci board, the v1 install cd, the original manual, a
          diy breakout box, and an apple power macintosh 7600/132 to throw it in
          (fully working system). I also have an apple midi interface and an evolution
          mk249c I could throw in.

          I am letting it go for as low as 235eur.

          I plan on financing the acquisition of some oasys plugins with it :-)

          _____

          About HardSID Mac drivers: YES, it has an OSX compatible audio driver
          and NO, it has no MIDI drivers. According to the developer, there
          won't be any as no one (except me, of course :)) is interested...

          So you can listen to your favorite C64 tunes on it but cannot use it
          for sequencing.

          Peter

          > Howdy,
          >

          > Yesterday I made some initial tests with my oddball HardSID soundcard
          > and the Oasys. Damn! For those who don't know what the HardSID is,
          it's
          > a soundcard which takes up to four SID-ICs. And for those who don't
          know
          > what a SID is... it's the sound chip in the legendary Commodore C64
          > computer, created by one of the guys behind the Ensoniq..
          >

          > But... C64? Beep, boop, bip? Well, the SID has 3 voices. Since there
          was
          > only one chip in the C64, that single chip had to do everything. In
          the
          > HardSID, you have 4 of them, which means you can use it as it was
          > originally intended.
          >

          > Naturally, it's a matter of taste. The SID doesn't have the cleanest
          > sound in the world, but that's part of it's unique sound. The
          SIDStation
          > costs (well, it's been discontinued but anyway) 10 times as much, and
          > only offers only a single SID.
          >

          > Link: www.hardsid.com (unfortunately the demo songs on the page suck)
          >

          > -- Peter

        • Othal,Hail,&Thorn
          Message 4 of 18 , May 13, 2007
            Hallo all,

            Does this HardSID Quatro also fit into a PC motherboards PCI slot?
            Are their Windows drivers for it, as in 98/XP? Probably a lot of you have heard of Creamwares Pulsar PCI synth card, do any of you have it, and if so what are your thoughts on it? I'm figuring since I'm pretty much dedicating a PC using 98SE to OASYS PCI, that if its possible and since I have a the spare slots, that I'd like to add a HardSID, and the Pulsar card. I just don't know if either will run on 98 or Windows for that matter. It sure would be one seriously cool machine if this is possible, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! I also just found out that NI's Reaktor started as Generator and also used a PCI card. I would say that Reaktor is very much the same concept of open architecture synthesis and effects, I use it a lot and am allways blown away by what it can do, and the fact that the only hardware required is a host computer. Ah yes I'll share w/ you all while I'm at it that I just got NI's KORE, the kontroller is absolutely such a joy to use, I rarely
            ever have to turn my head to look at the monitor, and pretty much no matter what soft synth you use, it allocates its controls to the most important parameters. Like Korg's combination mode it's very familiar and being able to make Combi's w/ what ever soft or hard synths and soft effects is just fantastic, I'm in love w/ this! Iv'e allreay created 3 of the most lucious, evolving, and surreal atmospheres, and in one of the used the Legacy Wavestation twice.

            Anyway, Highly recommended!

            Cheers!!

            !ERIK!

            Peter Persson <pep@...> wrote: On the other hand... in this group, we're pretty used to building
            dedicated PC:s for stuff :)

            -- Peter

            ________________________________

            About HardSID Mac drivers: YES, it has an OSX compatible audio driver
            and NO, it has no MIDI drivers. According to the developer, there
            won't be any as no one (except me, of course :)) is interested...

            So you can listen to your favorite C64 tunes on it but cannot use it
            for sequencing.

            Peter

            > Howdy,
            >

            > Yesterday I made some initial tests with my oddball HardSID soundcard
            > and the Oasys. Damn! For those who don't know what the HardSID is,
            it's
            > a soundcard which takes up to four SID-ICs. And for those who don't
            know
            > what a SID is... it's the sound chip in the legendary Commodore C64
            > computer, created by one of the guys behind the Ensoniq..
            >

            > But... C64? Beep, boop, bip? Well, the SID has 3 voices. Since there
            was
            > only one chip in the C64, that single chip had to do everything. In
            the
            > HardSID, you have 4 of them, which means you can use it as it was
            > originally intended.
            >

            > Naturally, it's a matter of taste. The SID doesn't have the cleanest
            > sound in the world, but that's part of it's unique sound. The
            SIDStation
            > costs (well, it's been discontinued but anyway) 10 times as much, and
            > only offers only a single SID.
            >

            > Link: www.hardsid.com (unfortunately the demo songs on the page suck)
            >

            > -- Peter

            !HONOURABLE WOLF!

          • Peter Persson
            Message 5 of 18 , May 14, 2007
              Howdy,

              The HardSID Quattro is a PCI card.

              This page:

              http://www.hardsid.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=
              3

              ... suggests that it should work in 98/ME/2000/2K. I've only tested it
              in XP though, but intend to make a SID+Oasys box in the near future.

              -- Peter

              ________________________________

              Peter Persson <pep@... <mailto:pep%40hms.se> > wrote: On the other

              From: oasys-pci@yahoogroups.com <mailto:oasys-pci%40yahoogroups.com>
              About HardSID Mac drivers: YES, it has an OSX compatible audio driver
              and NO, it has no MIDI drivers. According to the developer, there
              won't be any as no one (except me, of course :)) is interested...

              So you can listen to your favorite C64 tunes on it but cannot use it
              for sequencing.

              Peter

              > Howdy,
              >

              > Yesterday I made some initial tests with my oddball HardSID soundcard
              > and the Oasys. Damn! For those who don't know what the HardSID is,
              it's
              > a soundcard which takes up to four SID-ICs. And for those who don't
              know
              > what a SID is... it's the sound chip in the legendary Commodore C64
              > computer, created by one of the guys behind the Ensoniq..
              >

              > But... C64? Beep, boop, bip? Well, the SID has 3 voices. Since there
              was
              > only one chip in the C64, that single chip had to do everything. In
              the
              > HardSID, you have 4 of them, which means you can use it as it was
              > originally intended.
              >

              > Naturally, it's a matter of taste. The SID doesn't have the cleanest
              > sound in the world, but that's part of it's unique sound. The
              SIDStation
              > costs (well, it's been discontinued but anyway) 10 times as much, and
              > only offers only a single SID.
              >

              > Link: www.hardsid.com (unfortunately the demo songs on the page suck)
              >

              > -- Peter

              !HONOURABLE WOLF!

            • Scott Harris
              Message 6 of 18 , May 14, 2007
                Yes the Creamware cards have 98 drivers. I have two ITOX dragon cases with Oasys and Creamware cards installed running in Windows 98. There are occasional crashes with Creamware cards under 98 which usually don't require a reboot , not as rock solid as Oasys but quite usuable in this configuration.

                From: "Othal,Hail,&Thorn" <ingmanerik23@...>
                Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 19:04:54 -0700 (PDT)

                Sent via the KillerWebMail system at mail.interhop.net
              • Othal,Hail,&Thorn
                Message 7 of 18 , May 14, 2007
                  Hallo Peter,

                  Thanks!!! : )

                  !ERIK!

                  Peter Persson <pep@...> wrote: Howdy,

                  From: oasys-pci@yahoogroups.com <mailto:oasys-pci%40yahoogroups.com>
                  About HardSID Mac drivers: YES, it has an OSX compatible audio driver
                  and NO, it has no MIDI drivers. According to the developer, there
                  won't be any as no one (except me, of course :)) is interested...

                  So you can listen to your favorite C64 tunes on it but cannot use it
                  for sequencing.

                  Peter

                  > Howdy,
                  >

                  > Yesterday I made some initial tests with my oddball HardSID soundcard
                  > and the Oasys. Damn! For those who don't know what the HardSID is,
                  it's
                  > a soundcard which takes up to four SID-ICs. And for those who don't
                  know
                  > what a SID is... it's the sound chip in the legendary Commodore C64
                  > computer, created by one of the guys behind the Ensoniq..
                  >

                  > But... C64? Beep, boop, bip? Well, the SID has 3 voices. Since there
                  was
                  > only one chip in the C64, that single chip had to do everything. In
                  the
                  > HardSID, you have 4 of them, which means you can use it as it was
                  > originally intended.
                  >

                  > Naturally, it's a matter of taste. The SID doesn't have the cleanest
                  > sound in the world, but that's part of it's unique sound. The
                  SIDStation
                  > costs (well, it's been discontinued but anyway) 10 times as much, and
                  > only offers only a single SID.
                  >

                  > Link: www.hardsid.com (unfortunately the demo songs on the page suck)
                  >

                  > -- Peter

                  !HONOURABLE WOLF!

                  !HONOURABLE WOLF!

                • Othal,Hail,&Thorn
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 14, 2007
                    Hallo Scott, what exactly is an ITOX dragon case? I'd love to see a picture!

                    Thanks!!!! : )

                    !ERIK!

                    Scott Harris <SCHARRIS@...> wrote: Yes the Creamware cards have 98 drivers. I have two ITOX dragon cases with Oasys and Creamware cards installed running in Windows 98. There are occasional crashes with Creamware cards under 98 which usually don't require a reboot , not as rock solid as Oasys but quite usuable in this configuration.

                    From: "Othal,Hail,&Thorn" <ingmanerik23@...>
                    Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 19:04:54 -0700 (PDT)

                    Sent via the KillerWebMail system at mail.interhop.net

                    !HONOURABLE WOLF!

                  • Nick Rothwell
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 16, 2007
                      On 15 May 2007, at 00:53, Othal,Hail,&Thorn wrote:

                      > Hallo Scott, what exactly is an ITOX dragon case? I'd love to see a
                      > picture!

                      I have a picture of my two dragons at

                      http://www.cassiel.com/space/start/2006-09-22/1

                      although it doesn't really give much away. When I open one of the
                      machines up again (to put the Pulsar in) I can take some more shots.

                      -- N.

                      nick rothwell -- composition, systems, performance -- http://
                      www.cassiel.com
                    • SergioMMMS
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 16, 2007
                        So, gigs in lisbon ah?

                        I´m from Portugal… :-)

                        I now have sold my backup oasys pci, and have been “forced” to keep the
                        powermac, so to speak.

                        Down to he garage it goes. For spare parts in the future or so. Lol.

                        For the record, I was asking about 235eur + shipping… and nobody wanted it?!
                        What´s up with this?!

                        _____

                        http://www.cassiel <http://www.cassiel.com/space/start/2006-09-22/1>

                        Message 11 of 18 , May 17, 2007
                          Hallo Nick!,

                          Thanks!! I had no idea that 1U Rack cases could hold PCI cards, and is why I have avoided them. Indeed I would love to see more pics, So I'm guessing that the weight and dimensions are close to say a Korg M3-R/O3-R?
                          Not bad!

                          Thanks Again!

                          !ERIK!

                          Message 12 of 18 , May 18, 2007
                            On 18 May 2007, at 02:52, Othal,Hail,&Thorn wrote:

                            > Thanks!! I had no idea that 1U Rack cases could hold PCI cards, and
                            > is why I have avoided them.

                            It basically depends on whether the case supports PCI risers. The
                            ITOX cases do, and have a card cage; the other bits of 1U kit I have
                            here (a Mini-ITX box, and a pile of surplus Tyan-based dual-processor
                            rendering boxes) don't.

                            -- N.

                            Nick Rothwell / Cassiel.com Limited
                            www.cassiel.com
                            www.myspace.com/cassieldotcom
                            www.loadbang.net
                          • Othal,Hail,&Thorn
                            Message 13 of 18 , May 18, 2007
                              Hallo Nick,

                              Do you have a link to the company that makes the Dragon ITOX?
                              In the meantime I will investigate other 1U rack manufactures to see if any have the type of support for PCI that ITOX does.

                              Cheers!!! : )

                              !ERIK!

                              Message 14 of 18 , May 19, 2007
                                On 19 May 2007, at 00:23, Othal,Hail,&Thorn wrote:

                                > Do you have a link to the company that makes the Dragon ITOX?

                                Astonishingly enough, they're called ITOX. (www.itox.com)

                                A bunch of people on this list bought ITOX boxes when a telecoms
                                company was selling off surplus preconfigured servers for around $70
                                each...

                                Message 15 of 18 , May 21, 2007
                                  I'm on my way, Thanks Nick!

                                  !ERIK!