Enter The (second) Dragon

  • Nick Rothwell
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2006
      Well, my first ITOX Dragon arrived here in London (from Colorado)
      about three weeks ago, and the second arrived today, having
      apparently been bounced at the US side at customs due to some of the
      paperwork having fallen off the box, arrived back in Colorado, and
      set out again.

      Pardon me: did I say "bounced"? Erm, well: it's not usually a good
      sign when a piece of electronic gear makes the sound of loose parts
      rattling around inside. It's also not a good sign when it appears
      that the two PCI cards have been knocked out of their sockets and are
      hanging loose in the PCI cage. And it's also not a good sign when the
      entire case appears to be slightly bent.

      But anyway, I opened it up, took out the network cards, retrieved the
      loose screws which had obviously secured them at some stage in the
      distant past, and everything else looked OK... well, apart from the
      completely untethered processor heatsink and fan which had been
      playing pinball with a few of the motherboard capacitors. But I
      refastened it (memo to self: buy some thermal grease), and the
      machine booted up happily...

      I have a kickstart configuration to install Fedora Core Linux +
      Windows partition over a network, and at this moment I'm running it
      on the second ITOX; then I'll boot into the BIOS and see what the
      temperature sensors have to say compared to those in the first ITOX.

      Regarding the bent ITOX case: both machines appear to have this
      problem: the back end of the PCI card cage isn't really part of the
      case proper, and it's all a little bit flimsy, which is worrying
      given how big and fragile the OasysPCI cards are. Hopefully, once
      everything's rackmounted, it'll be OK.

      -- N.

      nick rothwell -- composition, systems, performance -- http://
      www.cassiel.com
    • Scott Harris
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2006
        On mine there was a large screw at the back of the cage , I wrapped some electrical tape around it to insulate it and allowd it to prop up the card. My ITOX cases are working very well. I disconnected all the fans except the spu fan which is now at half speed courtesy of the the software I previusly memtioned and they are working very well. USB midi interfaces, no crashes and I can run them 24/7 wihtout any temp issues. I also installed the dc powersupplies for noise suppresion but it is questionable if they are necessary. Keep me posted. If you want to call me to compare notes , feel free , Canada 905 885 7635. I am in the Eastern Time zone.

        From: Nick Rothwell <nick@...>
        Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 19:47:37 +0000

        Sent via the KillerWebMail system at mail.interhop.net
      • Nick Rothwell
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2006
          > On mine there was a large screw at the back of the cage ,

          Er - yes - I've not dismantled the cage yet, although obviously I'll
          need to do something along those lines to get the OasysPCI in place,
          at which stage I'll probably try to bend it back into shape...

          > I disconnected all the fans except the spu fan which is now at
          > half speed courtesy of the the software I previusly memtioned and
          > they are working very well.

          Lemme see: there's a small fan in the PSU, plus the CPU heatsink fan,
          a big blower fan pointing at the RAM, and three fans for the PCI
          cage. I guess the plan is to disconnect the blower and the PCI fans,
          and run the CPU fan at low speed, keeping the PSU fan as-is. (Is
          "spu" a typo for "psu" or "cpu"? :-))

          > If you want to call me to compare notes , feel free

          Thanks for the offer - actually, if it comes to that, I'm sure we
          could get by via email and JPEG shots from digital cameras...

          -- N.

          nick rothwell -- composition, systems, performance -- http://
          www.cassiel.com
        • Jim Moy
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 5, 2006
            On 12/2/06, Scott Harris <SCHARRIS@...> wrote:

            > On mine there was a large screw at the back of the cage ,
            > I wrapped some electrical tape around it to insulate it
            > and allowd it to prop up the card.

            I did the same.

            > My ITOX cases are working very well. I disconnected all
            > the fans except the spu fan which is now at
            > installed the dc powersupplies for noise suppresion but it
            > is questionable if they are necessary.

            My guess, because of your comment about dc supplies, is that
            you really meant "cpu." In any event, I'd like to hear
            about your experiences with this too.

            I know there are some who asked that 1U discussion not take
            place on the OASYS list, so I'd be willing to go elsewhere
            if people thought that was reasonable, but I'd like to keep
            up with what you guys are doing with your ITOX units.

            I grabbed one back during the clearance on eBay and think
            they're pretty nicely constructed boxes, and will deal with
            the fan issues soon. I am making very slow progress with
            mine, I have the OASYS running with Win98SE on the drive the
            came with the unit, and have unhooked the PCI slot fans.
            Have not done anything with the blower, CPU, or Supply fans
            yet. I just procured an appropriate pre-amp unit to use
            with my Stick to feed the OASYS inputs, so all I need to do
            is get a rack to put them all together.

            Jim Moy
          • Scott Harris
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 5, 2006
              No need to take this off group . The original concerns were that someone mistakenly thought that the ITOX bit was a spammer. This is a legit topic as it pertains to the Oasys and keeping the card viable.

              Keep us posted, the only fan I need is the cpu fan. The rest are disconnected and the powersupply is DC external adator (9amps).

              From: "Jim Moy" <stickxg@...>
              Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 09:51:09 -0700

              Sent via the KillerWebMail system at mail.interhop.net