828 mkII with OS 9.2.2/DP 3.1

  • Elmar Kurgpold
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
      Hey fellow Oasys people!

      I posted this question on motu-mac and got nowhere. I figure there's a
      better chance that someone here has a similar configuration...

      ~ ~ ~

      This is an old setup, yes... but I need OS9 for my Oasys PCI card.

      Anyway... when I select MOTU Firewire Audio for the hardware driver,
      it says "No interfaces could be found on the Firewire bus." If I boot
      into OSX the 828 works fine. I've installed the latest Firewire
      software for OS9. Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

      Elmar
    • Joe F.
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
        motu-mac?
        As if there were even a comparison! This here place right here is
        where the smart folks hang out. Yessiritis.

        It can be troublesome getting the setting to stick; especially if the
        interface isn't always on.

        When it's set up right, the 828 is supposed to be hot-pluggable. If
        you start the machine with the 828 off, switching it on is *supposed
        to* be recognized by the Mac.

        What I wound up doing is setting the Sound Manager output to Oasys
        PCI, and using that for system sound (iTunes etc.). I left the input
        setting set to Mac internal (so to use the CD-R drive to play CDs). I
        had the Firewire Control Strip thingy installed and used that to
        control the 828. When I would turn it on it would usually connect,
        though sometimes I had to turn it off and on a couple times, or
        restart with the 828 turned on.

        So if you haven't even got it that good, try resetting the P-RAM
        first; if that doesn't work try fooling with the extension loading
        order.

        Sound Manager settings on Macs *never* would hold, until they
        *settled*. If you ever tried to use the Motu MAS plugin to pipe audio
        from another app into DP, you know the meaning of migraine. So far OS
        X is good that way.

        I've started using the Oasys machine solely for that, moving the 828
        over to the OS X machine; so I'm not doing the dual boot anymore. I
        think the dual boot causes problems unless you've got the 2 systems
        on separate discs and OS X isn't set up to be "aware" of the OS 9
        disc or use Classic. I had been using the OS9 system folder (with the
        Oasys installations) as the Classic folder, and OS X always wanted to
        do things to it. So I think it's better not to let that happen.

        If you need more feel free to email me direct.

        Best,
        Joe F.
        (of the most comprehensive, learned, and just plain grooviest Yahoo
        group of all: Oasys-PCI)

        On Oct 1, 2006, at 5:25 PM, Elmar Kurgpold wrote:

        > Hey fellow Oasys people!
        >
        > I posted this question on motu-mac and got nowhere. I figure there's a
        > better chance that someone here has a similar configuration...
        >
        > ~ ~ ~
        >
        > This is an old setup, yes... but I need OS9 for my Oasys PCI card.
        >
        > Anyway... when I select MOTU Firewire Audio for the hardware driver,
        > it says "No interfaces could be found on the Firewire bus." If I boot
        > into OSX the 828 works fine. I've installed the latest Firewire
        > software for OS9. Any ideas? Thanks for your help.
        >
        > Elmar
      • Nick Rothwell
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006
          > When it's set up right, the 828 is supposed to be hot-pluggable. If
          > you start the machine with the 828 off, switching it on is *supposed
          > to* be recognized by the Mac.

          As an aside, hot-plugging Firewire 400 is a risky proposition, and
          it's quite possible to fry a Firewire port this way. (The port on my
          TiBook is dead.) I believe power cycling itself is fine.

          > I've started using the Oasys machine solely for that, moving the 828
          > over to the OS X machine; so I'm not doing the dual boot anymore.

          Most of the (Mac) machines I've used for an OasysPCI have been dual-
          bootable (certainly, the Sawtooth gets booted into OS X regularly)
          and I've not noticed any problems. On the other hand, I rarely, if
          ever, run things under Classic (which, as Joe suggests, could well be
          problematic).

          -- N.

          nick rothwell -- composition, systems, performance -- http://
          www.cassiel.com
        • Elmar Kurgpold
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006
            Good news, I got the 828 to work again by power cycling. Somewhat
            embarrassing, should have thought of that. I haven't been able to use
            this thing too often and I'm not used to racked gear "hanging" which it
            clearly did.

            Also, Nick's message was the first reply I saw, so my apologies if you
            felt ignored. ;D

            Regards,

            Elmar

            Nick Rothwell wrote:

            > > When it's set up right, the 828 is supposed to be hot-pluggable. If
            > > you start the machine with the 828 off, switching it on is *supposed
            > > to* be recognized by the Mac.
            >
            > As an aside, hot-plugging Firewire 400 is a risky proposition, and
            > it's quite possible to fry a Firewire port this way. (The port on my
            > TiBook is dead.) I believe power cycling itself is fine.
            >
            > > I've started using the Oasys machine solely for that, moving the 828
            > > over to the OS X machine; so I'm not doing the dual boot anymore.
            >
            > Most of the (Mac) machines I've used for an OasysPCI have been dual-
            > bootable (certainly, the Sawtooth gets booted into OS X regularly)
            > and I've not noticed any problems. On the other hand, I rarely, if
            > ever, run things under Classic (which, as Joe suggests, could well be
            > problematic).
            >
            > -- N.
            >
            > nick rothwell -- composition, systems, performance -- http://
            > www.cassiel.com

          • Nick Rothwell
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 3, 2006
              On 3 Oct 2006, at 00:15, Elmar Kurgpold wrote:

              > I'm not used to racked gear "hanging" which it
              > clearly did.

              That's because the 828 isn't just "racked gear"; it's "computer gear."

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 3, 2006
                Actually, the 828 is just doing it's thing normally; it's the OS that
                isn't recognizing the wake up call.

                You might say it's ignoring it.

                Or, to paraphrase dear old dad:
                "If a rack don't hang it ain't worth a dang."

                Joe F.

                On Oct 3, 2006, at 4:21 AM, Nick Rothwell wrote:

                > On 3 Oct 2006, at 00:15, Elmar Kurgpold wrote:
                >
                >> I'm not used to racked gear "hanging" which it
                >> clearly did.
                >
                > That's because the 828 isn't just "racked gear"; it's "computer gear."
                >
                > -- N.
                >

                > nick rothwell -- composition, systems, performance -- http://
                > www.cassiel.com
              • Elmar Kurgpold
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 4, 2006
                  Hm, now this time I didn't see Nicks reply. =/

                  Anyway... there is normally a flashing cursor type of thing on the 828.
                  Sometimes it stops flashing and the whole unit becomes unresponsive. The
                  only way I can get it to wake up is to power cycle the 828.

                  Elmar