Modulation palette....

  • Ed Miles
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 9, 2006
      Hey Folks... I have a question, and need some perspective..

      What I want to do -

      Control the Bypass on Insert Effect Slot # 3, currently the Decimator,
      with a Note On/Off, I'm trying to use C-2.

      There are other notes being played about 3 octaves above it.

      What I've done -

      Assigned a program to Channel A-1, Loaded my effects to taste,
      automated my volume,

      Option+Clicked the Bypass, set the Modulation Source "A" to "Note",
      tried to run the song and no go.
      Actually the closest I got was when the sequencer was running and I
      couldn't click the bypass with the mouse While the song was playing back.

      ANy ideas?

      SYstem:
      Mac G4, OS9.2.2, 700+mb RAm, Logic Express 6, Oasys is being run as
      an "external" Synth + Effects box;

      Is there another parameter I should be using instead of note? I gotta
      run to a gig, but plan on trying Modulation, as I want to stay away
      from the Pitch-Bend.

      Thanks,

      Ed Miles
    • Joe F.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 9, 2006
        Well, if you use notes then the sequence notes are going to trigger
        it as well; you can't specify a certain note to work the modulation.
        Using a note trigger will only let you engage or disengage the bypass
        once, or only while the note is held down.
        It's better to use something like breath control drawn into the
        sequence. Or a footswitch if you want to control it live manually. If
        you get in the habit of using something like breath control or
        portamento, which you probably never use for anything else, then you
        never have to worry about a conflict.
        Joe F.

        On Jul 9, 2006, at 11:11 AM, Ed Miles wrote:

        > Hey Folks... I have a question, and need some perspective..
        >
        > What I want to do -
        >
        > Control the Bypass on Insert Effect Slot # 3, currently the Decimator,
        > with a Note On/Off, I'm trying to use C-2.
        >
        > There are other notes being played about 3 octaves above it.
        >

        > What I've done -
        >
        > Assigned a program to Channel A-1, Loaded my effects to taste,
        > automated my volume,
        >
        > Option+Clicked the Bypass, set the Modulation Source "A" to "Note",
        > tried to run the song and no go.
        > Actually the closest I got was when the sequencer was running and I
        > couldn't click the bypass with the mouse While the song was playing
        > back.
        >

        > ANy ideas?
        >
        > SYstem:
        > Mac G4, OS9.2.2, 700+mb RAm, Logic Express 6, Oasys is being run as
        > an "external" Synth + Effects box;
        >
        > Is there another parameter I should be using instead of note? I gotta
        > run to a gig, but plan on trying Modulation, as I want to stay away
        > from the Pitch-Bend.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Ed Miles
      • Ed Miles
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 12, 2006
          Thanks Joe
          Breath control works like a charm. Any value other than "0" bypasses
          the Decimator.

          I am really getting into programming this thing! I have become
          obsessed with this one tune I am re-working for a friend, and since I
          started really getting into the Modulation and drawing in control
          changes - the tune has really come to life - I am able to get 2 sounds
          out of patches just by using the effects and such...

          > Well, if you use notes then the sequence notes are going to trigger
          > it as well; you can't specify a certain note to work the modulation.
          > Using a note trigger will only let you engage or disengage the bypass

          I was misreading the .pdf manual where it says the most recent note
          would be used as a trigger - in my hurry I thought that the OASYS
          would remember the first note it recieved, and ignore anything else.
          I see that is not the case.

          I am bypassing like a champ now!

          Again, thanks for the input.

          Ed Miles