Re: Talking to Oasys via MTP network

  • Joe F.
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 3 8:08 PM
      Just to update this subject:

      After talking to MOTU it turns out that although you can connect 2 of
      their MTP interfaces via their network ports, you can only use it
      reliably connected to a single computer; not one on each end. So you
      get a 16 port interface.

      I had it working to address all 16 ports plus one Oasys port from the
      OS X machine, but I was not able to get sysex into Unisyn on either
      side. So the way to make this work for Oasys PCI is to run the 2
      interfaces separately with their respective Macs and connect 2 sets
      of MIDI ports on each. Just slightly more complicated.

      Joe F.

      On May 9, 2006, at 6:29 PM, Nick Rothwell wrote:

      >> With an app like DP4 running as a router on the G4 it would be
      >> possible to direct the 16 incoming channels to either Oasys A or B.
      >
      > True, although using Digital Performer is probably overkill...

      >> suppose connecting MIDI cables from one interface to another would
      >> let you send 32 channels to DP4, but only one 16 channel port seems
      >> to travel the network connection.
      >
      > I never managed to get network connections working properly between
      > MTP's - I always got data corruption and the like - but if it's
      > working for you, then that's good.
      >
      > (The only clean way I can think of to get more channels is rather
      > esoteric - run a MIDI-to-OSC bridge at both ends and do it all over
      > Ethernet, in which case you could get rid of all the MIDI hardware
      > completely. I don't have a lot of experience of OSC in OS 9 so I
      > don't know what kind of latency and/or jitter you might get.)
      >

      > nick rothwell -- composition, systems, performance -- http://
      > www.cassiel.com
    • Nick Rothwell
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 4 2:59 AM
        On 4 Jun 2006, at 04:08, Joe F. wrote:

        > After talking to MOTU it turns out that although you can connect 2 of
        > their MTP interfaces via their network ports, you can only use it
        > reliably connected to a single computer; not one on each end.

        I went through this whole process about 15 years ago, and concluded
        that (i) dual-computer mode didn't work, and (ii) single-computer
        mode wouldn't work reliably; in particular, it wasn't possible to
        send Roland system exclusive through the network port. That's what
        made me sell my MTP's. (That, and FreeMIDI.)

        -- N.