Pro Tools Free?

  • johnherbie
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2005
      Now I have my Mac on order I am going to want to start on the cheap
      until I can afford a decent sequencer.

      Will I be able to use Pro Tools Free for the time being?

      And if so what sort of latency should I expect?

      Thanks foe any help.
    • tommoulton@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2005
        Yes it is called Protools LE and they use RTAS plugins . They are not stand
        alone plug ins like a TDM Protools rig. You must process each effect you want
        on a certain track. Its what you would call a habit forming system. This truly
        gets you hooked on it. Tom

      • danatkorg
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2005
          --- In oasys-pci@yahoogroups.com, tommoulton@a... wrote:
          > Yes it is called Protools LE and they use RTAS plugins .

          Just FYI: ProTools LE is different from ProTools Free.

          http://www.digidesign.com/ptfree/

          At least on the Mac, neither of these will work when using OASYS PCI
          as the main audio interface, although it should still be possible to use OASYS PCI
          as a stand-alone synthesizer & effects processor.

          - Dan
        • AramazdSynth
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1, 2005
            As in the subject line I have a beige g3 that I will house my precious
            Oasys board in. This machine has firwire and usb port cards. I also have
            a working 9500 (typo in subject line) in parts - no case. Then I have 4
            18gb IBM ultrascsi drives and other stuff.

            Before I go and buy a firewire drive for the beige unit, would it make
            any sense to turn the 9500 and other parts into something of a RAID
            server? The processor in the 9500 board is the 132mHz card. I know I'd
            need an Atto or other scsi board that supports RAID, but would I need a
            faster processor and/or a faster ethernet connection? Maybe I'm trying
            too hard to make use of the parts lying around and should just get a
            regular IDE drive and throw it in a firewire enclosure to act as the
            data and program drive.

            Thanks for your thoughts,
            Ara

            danatkorg wrote:

            > --- In oasys-pci@yahoogroups.com, tommoulton@a... wrote:
            > > Yes it is called Protools LE and they use RTAS plugins .
            >
            > Just FYI: ProTools LE is different from ProTools Free.
            >
            > http://www.digidesign.com/ptfree/
            >
            > At least on the Mac, neither of these will work when using OASYS PCI
            > as the main audio interface, although it should still be possible to
            > use OASYS PCI
            > as a stand-alone synthesizer & effects processor.
            >
            > - Dan

            > Contacting Korg Technical Support
            >
            > Korg's world-wide network of Korg Distributors is ready, willing,
            > and able to handle all technical support questions. For information
            > on contacting their tech support departments, see the OASYS PCI FAQ:
            >
            > http://www.korg.com/oasys_pci_faq_html/oasys_pci_tech_support.htm
            >
            > This mailing list, however, is not a forum for technical support.
            >
            > Members of the Korg R&D product development team read the list, and
            > enjoy participating in discussions as their schedules permit. Please
            > note that these are not technical support personnel. Much as they
            > like talking with people about the product, and may occasionally
            > offer assistance, they unfortunately cannot answer all technical
            > support questions.

          • tom
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 1, 2005
              --- In oasys-pci@yahoogroups.com, "danatkorg" <dan@k...> wrote:
              > --- In oasys-pci@yahoogroups.com, tommoulton@a... wrote:
              > > Yes it is called Protools LE and they use RTAS plugins .
              >
              > Just FYI: ProTools LE is different from ProTools Free.
              >
              > http://www.digidesign.com/ptfree/
              >
              > At least on the Mac, neither of these will work when using OASYS PCI
              > as the main audio interface, although it should still be possible to
              use OASYS PCI
              > as a stand-alone synthesizer & effects processor.
              >
              > - Dan

              Hey Dan,You are Absolutely right.I never had neither. I went from
              protools 8 then 16 then 32 and 64.. my limit. my buddies who do have
              it started with the free 8 tracks only then graduated to LE in OS9
              24 tracks and OS10 32 . I was unaware you could operate a form of
              Protools in a PC I have always had Macs. I got a quick lesson from my
              tech who has LE in fact he is the one that turned me on to the Oasys
              card. He has been trying to find me one for about 5 months now. I was
              going to contact Korg. I am not having to much luck in the buying
              department. Must be other sites that specialize in this sort of thing.
              If you have any info please let me