WLAN for Oasys host?

  • jarzantarzan
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 14, 2005
      Hi all,

      I am going to move my Oasys to a separate PC box. I would like to
      transfer MIDI and audio over LAN but I'm thinking in wireless. I
      never had a WLAN environment at home so anyone's experience would be
      welcome.

      Is this a viable alternative at all?

      If so, what devices are up to the task? Many Ethernet cards I've
      tested before caused bus or CPU throttle which introduced crackles
      and pops during record and playback.

      Which manufacturer to choose or not to choose (Asus, Netgear,
      Linksys, etc)?

      Oh well, and I am going to use 98 on the Oasys slave and XP on the
      host.

      Thanks!

      Regards,
      Peter
    • Peter Persson
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 14, 2005
        Hi,

        I wouldn't recommend transferring audio over LAN in realtime, especially not over a WLAN connection.

        I use MIDI over LAN, and it works pretty well though.

        -- Peter

        I am going to move my Oasys to a separate PC box. I would like to
        transfer MIDI and audio over LAN but I'm thinking in wireless. I
        never had a WLAN environment at home so anyone's experience would be
        welcome.

        Is this a viable alternative at all?

        If so, what devices are up to the task? Many Ethernet cards I've
        tested before caused bus or CPU throttle which introduced crackles
        and pops during record and playback.

        Which manufacturer to choose or not to choose (Asus, Netgear,
        Linksys, etc)?

        Oh well, and I am going to use 98 on the Oasys slave and XP on the
        host.

        Thanks!

        Regards,
        Peter

        Contacting Korg Technical Support

        Korg's world-wide network of Korg Distributors is ready, willing,
        and able to handle all technical support questions. For information
        on contacting their tech support departments, see the OASYS PCI FAQ:

        http://www.korg.com/oasys_pci_faq_html/oasys_pci_tech_support.htm

        This mailing list, however, is not a forum for technical support.

        Members of the Korg R&D product development team read the list, and
        enjoy participating in discussions as their schedules permit. Please
        note that these are not technical support personnel. Much as they
        like talking with people about the product, and may occasionally
        offer assistance, they unfortunately cannot answer all technical
        support questions.

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • hpoche
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 17, 2005
          how do you do midi over lan, please?

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 18, 2005
            Hi,

            Thanks for the tip! What type of problems such a WLAN network suffers
            from (in a musical standpoint) except bandwidth?

            Anyway, Apulsoft (http://www.apulsoft.ch) just announced Wormhole 2,
            which, according to the developers, is capable of stable audio over
            LAN operations. Can anyone test the demo? My DAW is currently in
            ruins... :-/

            Regards,
            Peter

            > Hi,
            >
            > I wouldn't recommend transferring audio over LAN in realtime,
            especially not over a WLAN connection.

            > I use MIDI over LAN, and it works pretty well though.
            >
            > -- Peter
          • Udo van der Meer
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 18, 2005
              Multi channel real-time audio over LAN works fine.

              There are several products that use ethernet LAN hardware for multi-channel audio.

              Waves has just released DSP boxes (APA32 and APA44-M) to run multple plug-ins and multiple instances per box via standard Ethernet hardware. 8 APA's can be connected per PC.

              Udo

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 18, 2005
                I use a special driver, I think it's called MidiOverLAN.

                Newer versions seems to be XP/2000 only, however older versions work fine in 95/98/ME.

                regards

                -- Peter

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 18, 2005
                  Hi,

                  Compared to the on-board ADAT interface, audio over LAN has much higher latency, for example.

                  If this is not an issue, go for it. WLAN adapters are not very expensive anyway. Get a fast WLAN adapter, however. I know MIDI isn't that stable over 10 or 11Mbit, so you should probably get something faster than that.

                  -- Peter

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 18, 2005
                    Hi,

                    Ah, this sounds interesting. Is it possible to use other protocols on the same interface?

                    Also, which products are you referring to? I must admit, I tried this a couple of years ago and wasn't very impressed, so perhaps I need to try it again..

                    regards

                    -- Peter

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 19, 2005
                      Hi,

                      The only one I can think of at the moment is www.aviom.com (can handle up to 64 channels over one cat-5 cable).

                      There are several others, using various approaches (protocols and topologies) with greatly varying price points. Just do a google.

                      Udo