Re: Can't boot into OS9 anymore

  • RCS Programming
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 2, 2005
      Does this "long period" invlove going through several version of OSX?
      What was the last working version of OSX with OS9?

      JR

      --- In oasys-pci@yahoogroups.com, Tim V. <timvalk@i...> wrote:
      > Hi all
      >
      > After a longish period of not booting into OS9, I decided to have a
      > listen to some Oasys sounds again recently. But the old system folder
      > that was set up so happily before now longer boots at all. At startup I
      > see a flash of the smily face then suddenly the screen blacks out and
      > it boots into OSX. I tried reinstalling OS9.2.2 from CD. It boots from
      > the CD but again the machine won't boot from any system folder on any
      > HD. Interestingly when i do Option start and get the available bootable
      > disks there are no OS9 icons at all ( I have about 3 System Folders on
      > different internal HDs). I've done PRAM zap, and Open Firmware reset.
      > Still no luck. Any ideas on what's happening here?
      >
      > Thanks for your help
      >
      > MDD Dual 1ghz, OSX.3.9, 1.5 gig RAM,
      >
      > Tim V
      >
      > All-Asia Audio P.T.
      > Bali, Indonesia
    • Nick Rothwell
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 2, 2005
        > Does this "long period" invlove going through several version of OSX?
        > What was the last working version of OSX with OS9?

        One of my Macs (a G4 Sawtooth tower w/OasysPCI) has been through a few
        installs and upgrades, and is currently running Tiger (10.4.1). In
        fact, it's *currently* running 9.2.2, since it still seems quite happy
        to dual-boot.

        -- N.

        --

        nick rothwell -- composition, systems, performance -- http://www.cassiel.com
      • profvonsok@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 2, 2005
          In OSX try pulling the Finder from the OS 9 System folder, log out of OSX and
          then log back in and put the Finder back into the OS 9 System folder. This
          should rebless that system folder and permit booting from it.

        • RCS Programming
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 2, 2005
            Wasn't there an issue with having 1Gig of RAM (and above) in OS9 at
            some time?

            JR

            --- In oasys-pci@yahoogroups.com, Tim V. <timvalk@i...> wrote:
            > Hi all
            >
            > After a longish period of not booting into OS9, I decided to have a
            > listen to some Oasys sounds again recently. But the old system folder
            > that was set up so happily before now longer boots at all. At startup I
            > see a flash of the smily face then suddenly the screen blacks out and
            > it boots into OSX. I tried reinstalling OS9.2.2 from CD. It boots from
            > the CD but again the machine won't boot from any system folder on any
            > HD. Interestingly when i do Option start and get the available bootable
            > disks there are no OS9 icons at all ( I have about 3 System Folders on
            > different internal HDs). I've done PRAM zap, and Open Firmware reset.
            > Still no luck. Any ideas on what's happening here?
            >
            > Thanks for your help
            >
            > MDD Dual 1ghz, OSX.3.9, 1.5 gig RAM,
            >
            > Tim V
            >
            > All-Asia Audio P.T.
            > Bali, Indonesia
          • Lenny Stearns
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 2, 2005
              I don't think so. I'm running 1.25GB in 9.2.2 on a G4. I don't seem to have
              any problems booting into OS9, and I have 10.2.8 on a separate partition.

              - Lenny

              Quoting RCS Programming <jr@...>:

              > Wasn't there an issue with having 1Gig of RAM (and above) in OS9 at
              > some time?
              >
              > JR
              >

              > --- In oasys-pci@yahoogroups.com, Tim V. <timvalk@i...> wrote:
              >> Hi all
              >>
              >> After a longish period of not booting into OS9, I decided to have a
              >> listen to some Oasys sounds again recently. But the old system folder
              >> that was set up so happily before now longer boots at all. At startup I
              >> see a flash of the smily face then suddenly the screen blacks out and
              >> it boots into OSX. I tried reinstalling OS9.2.2 from CD. It boots from
              >> the CD but again the machine won't boot from any system folder on any
              >> HD. Interestingly when i do Option start and get the available bootable
              >> disks there are no OS9 icons at all ( I have about 3 System Folders on
              >> different internal HDs). I've done PRAM zap, and Open Firmware reset.
              >> Still no luck. Any ideas on what's happening here?
              >>
              >> Thanks for your help
              >>
              >> MDD Dual 1ghz, OSX.3.9, 1.5 gig RAM,
              >>
              >> Tim V
              >>
              >> All-Asia Audio P.T.
              >> Bali, Indonesia

              > Contacting Korg Technical Support
              >
              > Korg's world-wide network of Korg Distributors is ready, willing,
              > and able to handle all technical support questions. For information
              > on contacting their tech support departments, see the OASYS PCI FAQ:
              >
              > http://www.korg.com/oasys_pci_faq_html/oasys_pci_tech_support.htm
              >
              > This mailing list, however, is not a forum for technical support.
              >
              > Members of the Korg R&D product development team read the list, and
              > enjoy participating in discussions as their schedules permit. Please
              > note that these are not technical support personnel. Much as they
              > like talking with people about the product, and may occasionally
              > offer assistance, they unfortunately cannot answer all technical
              > support questions.
              >
              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Tim V.
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 3, 2005
                Hi Joe

                Thanks for your reply.

                All 4 internal HDs are mounted. In the startup prefs I am able to
                choose the relevant OS9 system folder(s)... this is the way I've been
                trying to boot from them.... however as I say, after a brief smily face
                the machine restarts itself into OSX.

                In System Prefs I can see all but one of the System Folders but I
                cannot boot from any of them.

                I can boot from OS9 Installer CD but that's all...i don't have another
                boot CD ... I know there's a way to make on with Toast but I forget the
                trick to getting it to work... I did try opening Startup Disk when
                booted from the OS9 installer CD but it crashed the machine

                Hi JR

                Yes the long period did involve going through several versions of OSX.
                I can' remember exactly which was the last version of OSX I was
                successfully using whilst sometimes booting ino OS9... it would be
                around 10.2.3 or 10.2.4 I reckon.

                Hi Nick

                I haven't really thought about going to Tiger yet.... my machine's
                getting a bit long in the tooth ... would like a new G5 but that won't
                boot into OS9 either

                Hi profvonsok

                I tried blessing in the way you suggested but , after putting the
                Finder back into the relevant System Folder it still won't boot.
                Interestingly none of the System Folder folder icons have the '9' logo
                on them in any Finder view... column, widow, button, ... so perhaps
                this blessing has something to do with it. I wonder what's going on..

                Just to rephrase, as the machine is booting up the screen is black. The
                screen then comes on. It is at that very instant that it does the
                restart thing.

                Thanks to you all for helping ... I appreciate it.

                regards

                Tim