Oasys problem persists

  • MC
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1 9:50 AM
      Hi Group,
      Thanks for your overwhelming assitance to my previous email. Basically to give an overview of the
      problem I saw is =>
      Each time I restart my machine or fresh start, I see the trash has a folder called recovered items
      and that has a OASYS PCI Temporary Multi file in there. Subsequently when I start OASYS and then
      start DP2.7 (MacOS9) I see that OASYS is unable to receive MIDI info from DP. I also happen to
      have DP3.0 on the same machine and sometimes tht is more successful than the older 2.7 (which I
      think is the most stable version of DP I have seen to date). Now this happens randomly. Sometimes
      (a very few times) I start the machine, start OASYS and then DP2.7 and it works just fine.
      Sometimes when it doesnt work, if I close OASYS and DP and then go to the preferneces in
      SystemFolder and trash the OASYS PCI Preferences and then start OASYS and then DP2.7 it starts
      working. I used to have Norton stuff (Filesaver etc..) but I removed every bit of Norton out of my
      system (all files, aliases, controlpanels, extensions etc..etc..) and rebuilt my desktop after a
      shift+option restart. Nothing seems to have helped and I continue to see this problem.
      I would apprecaite any pointers .. any suggestions.. I know the last option is always to cleanout
      all the OASYS stuff and DP stuff and reinstall all from start..but I want to see if there are any
      other things some you experienced folks can suggest before I resort to that extreme step.
      Regards
      Shyam

      http://personals.yahoo.com
    • Ken Luke
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1 11:15 AM
        Is your trash-can empty before you shutdown/restart, and then the file is
        there after startup? If so, have you checked your startup items folder in
        the system for any oddities?

        Have you verified that when you Quit the editor it does indeed exit cleanly?

        Another possible problem is an INIT (extension) conflict. Here's how I work
        through INIT conflicts:

        Using the extension manager, create two copies of your regular working set
        named foo_A and foo_M. In foo_A, disable all extensions & CPs that start
        with the letter m or later. In foo_M, disable all extension & CPs that
        start with A through L. If either of those work, incrementally enable more
        extensions until you run into the problem again. NOTE: It is important that
        you keep track of which extensions you enabled for each try. That way if
        you, for example, enable 6 extensions and then run into a problem, you know
        that one of those 6 may be the culprit.

        Another option would be to rename the OASYS extension to change the load
        order. You can try A_Oasys or Z_Oasys to move it to the beginning or end of
        the load process. There are a few special option-key characters that will
        REALLY move it to the beginning or end, but I don't know them off the top
        of my head.

        Just got my OASYS a few weeks ago myself, so it's quite possible that I
        have no idea what I'm talking about but I'm just trying to offer
        (hopefully) helpful suggestions ;-)

        At 09:50 AM 4/1/2005, you wrote:

        >Hi Group,
        >Thanks for your overwhelming assitance to my previous email. Basically to
        >give an overview of the
        >problem I saw is =>
        >Each time I restart my machine or fresh start, I see the trash has a
        >folder called recovered items
        >and that has a OASYS PCI Temporary Multi file in there. Subsequently when
        >I start OASYS and then
        >start DP2.7 (MacOS9) I see that OASYS is unable to receive MIDI info from
        >DP. I also happen to
        >have DP3.0 on the same machine and sometimes tht is more successful than
        >the older 2.7 (which I
        >think is the most stable version of DP I have seen to date). Now this
        >happens randomly. Sometimes
        >(a very few times) I start the machine, start OASYS and then DP2.7 and it
        >works just fine.
        >Sometimes when it doesnt work, if I close OASYS and DP and then go to the
        >preferneces in
        >SystemFolder and trash the OASYS PCI Preferences and then start OASYS and
        >then DP2.7 it starts
        >working. I used to have Norton stuff (Filesaver etc..) but I removed every
        >bit of Norton out of my
        >system (all files, aliases, controlpanels, extensions etc..etc..) and
        >rebuilt my desktop after a
        >shift+option restart. Nothing seems to have helped and I continue to see
        >this problem.
        >I would apprecaite any pointers .. any suggestions.. I know the last
        >option is always to cleanout
        >all the OASYS stuff and DP stuff and reinstall all from start..but I want
        >to see if there are any
        >other things some you experienced folks can suggest before I resort to
        >that extreme step.
        >Regards
        >Shyam

        Ken Luke ken_luke@...
        "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is hard."
        -- Edmund Keane
      • Joe F
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 3 2:27 PM
          It's not a good idea to switch between older versions of DP, it can lead to
          a number of problems that would corrupt the system or your working song
          files.

          It's probably a good idea to start with a freshly formatted drive. If you
          can set up separate drives or partitions for system, applications, and audio
          recordings, that would be best. Recording to a separate device will improve
          performance a lot.

          You should have these versions installed:

          MacOS 9.2.2
          Digital Performer 3.11
          MOTU Audio System 2.46
          FreeMIDI 1.48

          Reduce you extensions and control panels to an absolute minimum and make
          sure AppleTalk is turned off.

          Before doing anything else set up and save a FreeMIDI configuration. Test
          it, shut down, start up and test it again.

          A lot of things go wrong depending on what audio systems are assigned to DP
          and system. I have an 828mkII, so it's the main audio device under MAS in
          DP. The system sound output is set to use Oasys via the Sound Manager. Sound
          Manager input is set to use the internal DVD drive.

          A set up like this can be tricky for the system to accept; it likes to have
          input and output set to the same device, preferably the Mac's internal I/O.
          So it's a good idea to get that all squared away before messing with
          anything else. Keep in mind that every app logs into the Sound Manager when
          it starts up. Some have their own sound drivers, some just assume internal;
          then there's everything in between. An audio app set up previously to use
          the Oasys under ASIO, then not finding it at start up might do any number of
          things. So this is an area to take care with.

          Once you're satisfied do DP. Set up all your prefs, record something, save
          it, shut down, restart, try it again.

          At this point everything should be pretty stable and Oasys should simply
          work. It may seem like a lot of effort to start from scratch, but you wind
          up spending less time with it in the long run.

          Good Luck,
          Joe F.