Via Eden ITX motherboards?

  • Peter Persson
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1 12:05 AM
      Hi,

      Has anyone tried the Via Eden ITX motherboard with the Oasys?
      The 533Mhz and 600Mhz does not require a fan, and can be run with 12V DC/DC converters (=fanless power) instead of a big noisy ATX PSU..
      It has VGA, LAN, USB2 (which will have to be disabled, probably) and Audio (which also will have to be disabled), and with a laptop harddrive or a compact flash adapter, it would be a perfect host for an Oasys..

      They are so small (17x17cm) that it should even be possible to put two of them inside the same box :-)

      I will probably buy two of these later this month.

      regards

      -- Peter
    • Nick Rothwell
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 1 1:45 AM
        > Has anyone tried the Via Eden ITX motherboard with the Oasys?

        I tried the Nehemiah a few months back, and reported here. Summary:
        couldn't get it working under Win98SE - problems getting the drivers
        to detect the card.

        > I will probably buy two of these later this month.

        You could wait for the Nano-ITX, which is even smaller.

        I'm running two Mini-ITX systems as Linux servers - I love them.

        --

        nick rothwell -- composition, systems, performance -- http://www.cassiel.com
      • Eric Baird
        Message 3 of 14 , May 4, 2004
          --- In oasys-pci@yahoogroups.com, wrote:
          > I will probably buy two of these later this month.

          Did you have any luck?

          I'm trying to compact my system down, and am awfully tempted to get a
          VIA EPIA 5000 Fanless motherboard and put it in a 1U rack case with
          the Oasys and a power supply.

          http://www.mini-itx.com/store/default.asp?c=2#p1601

          I wouldn't be using it for running DAW software, just as an
          outboard "Oasys in a Box".

          If someone's got experience of successfully using the Oasys with
          these boards, it would be nice to know. It seems that people on the
          group have been asking this question for years without being able to
          get an answer.
        • Nick Rothwell
          Message 4 of 14 , May 7, 2004
            > If someone's got experience of successfully using the Oasys with
            > these boards, it would be nice to know. It seems that people on the
            > group have been asking this question for years without being able to
            > get an answer.

            I've posted my conclusions twice, the last time in April.

            Message 5 of 14 , May 7, 2004
              > If someone's got experience of successfully using the Oasys with
              > these boards

              Oh - sorry - *successful* outcomes. I'd really like to know as
              well. I've tried an installation on an M10000 with the Nehemiah
              processor but couldn't get it working.

              Oh, the PCI riser puts the PCI card to one side of the motherboard,
              not above it. (I got two different PCI risers; I'll need to check
              both.)

              Message 6 of 14 , May 8, 2004
                Okay ... decided to take a chance and ordered the cheapest fanless
                Eden board (EPIA 5000) a few days ago, bought a second-hand SDR
                memory board yesterday (all my existing memory is DDR) ... plugged it
                together this morning with a harddrive (with WinME and the Oasys
                stuff already installed) taken from the stretched shuttle that used
                to house my Oasys, disabled onboard audio in the BIOS, reinstalled
                the new Eden drivers in the correct order, removed Oasys's entry from
                the device manager list, rebooted so that Windows could find Oasys
                and put it back on the list again (now that the board drivers were
                correct) ...

                ... and it's working.

                (Piano patch: clump clump clump on the keyboard, pianoey sounds ensue)

                Yep.

                Too early to tell yet if there are issues with reliability or what
                happens when you drive the thing hard, but ... it does
                actually /seem/ to work.
                At least, with this particular board and bits, it does.
              • Eric Baird
                Message 7 of 14 , May 8, 2004
                  --- In oasys-pci@yahoogroups.com, Nick Rothwell <nick@c...> wrote:
                  > Oh, the PCI riser puts the PCI card to one side of the motherboard,
                  > not above it. (I got two different PCI risers; I'll need to check
                  > both.)

                  You can also get risers that point the other way, to place the Oasys
                  directly above the motherboard.
                  That obviously wouldn't work with a 1U case, but if you made a long,
                  thin aluminium sleeve for it, with the motherboard and PSU and laptop
                  drive on one side and the Oasys on the other, and fixed a carry-
                  handle to one thin edge and stuck feet to the other ... that might
                  look ok. A kind of oasys mini-briefcase.

                  Maybe there are other long, thin housings that might work.

                  <squints at crappy old beaten-up synth>

                  Hey, how about stuffing everything inside an existing keyboard!
                • Nick Rothwell
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 8, 2004
                    > ... and it's working.

                    Lovely jubbly - glad to hear it.

                    I have a spare HD sitting around here, so what I might do is
                    temporarily decommission one of my Mini-ITX servers and try the
                    Win98SE build again.

                    The OasysPCI briefcase is a lovely idea (much like an Oasys inside a
                    1U Magma cage, although that requires a host computer as well), but
                    you still need a keyboard and screen (and probably mouse) unless you
                    have a reliable virtual console solution (VNC or suchlike) - are you
                    planning to play with this?

                    Message 9 of 14 , May 8, 2004
                      --- In oasys-pci@yahoogroups.com, Nick Rothwell <nick@c...> wrote:
                      > ... but
                      > you still need a keyboard and screen (and probably mouse) unless you
                      > have a reliable virtual console solution (VNC or suchlike) - are you
                      > planning to play with this?

                      I have my keyboard, mouse and monitor hooked up to a four-way KVM
                      switch, so I'm running an umbilical from that to the back of the Eden
                      board.
                      For more portability, I suppose using VNC with a laptop might be an
                      option. Haven't played with VNC for a long time, though!
                    • Eric Baird
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 11, 2004
                        A couple of Idle Thoughts ... if someone wanted to spend some more
                        serious money on portable IXT/Oasys box, you can get little
                        touchscreens here:
                        http://linitx.com/index.php?
                        cPath=64&osCsid=ed5e7afa92e0ca3463ca91dd984dbbb0

                        , or if someone wanted to get /really/ silly and blow a load of cash
                        on a 1U rackmount Oasys computer, you can get a 1U keyboard and
                        screen here:
                        http://store.compute-aid.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?
                        category=100&item=KVM-RPD115&type=store

                        , but that's really getting into silly money. :D
                      • Eric Baird
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 30, 2004
                          --- In oasys-pci@yahoogroups.com, Nick Rothwell wrote:
                          > I have a spare HD sitting around here, so what I might do is
                          > temporarily decommission one of my Mini-ITX servers and try the
                          > Win98SE build again.

                          Nick, did you eventually get WinSE working with mini-ITX and Oasys?

                          I ask, because after my initial success with that WinME drive that I
                          already had kicking about, I tried a fresh install of 98SE with the
                          EPIA board, and had trouble getting it working (even without the
                          Oasys!). I never did get to the bottom of what was going wrong, I
                          didn't want to waste too much time on the problem, so I reinstalled
                          ME again and it worked again (I'd have rather used 98SE, but there ya
                          go).

                          BTW, after leaving the mini-ITX on the shelf for a couple of months,
                          I've finally dusted it off and started screwing everything together
                          into a 1U case. There's a quickie preliminary pic in the photos
                          section now (in case people think I'm making this up!), and I'll take
                          some proper pics (in daylight!) once it's looking a bit more
                          finished.
                        • Nick Rothwell
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 4, 2004
                            > Nick, did you eventually get WinSE working with mini-ITX and Oasys?

                            Nope - well, not yet. I now have a spare Mini-ITX box so I should give
                            it another try.

                            -- N.

                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 4, 2004
                              --- In oasys-pci@yahoogroups.com, Nick Rothwell wrote:
                              > > Nick, did you eventually get WinSE working with mini-ITX
                              > > and Oasys?
                              >
                              > Nope - well, not yet. I now have a spare Mini-ITX box so
                              > I should give it another try.

                              Well, I did see something on a website somewhere saying that one is
                              recommended to _not_ use the latest 4-in-1 drivers if you want to run
                              Win98SE on a VIA board. Don't know that's bunk or not, I did try a
                              couple of 4-in-1 versions with SE without it getting me working, then
                              gave up.

                              Just wondered, if you'd happened to have had instant success with
                              98SE, which drivers you'd used. But if you haven't, maybe it's not
                              worth spending time on it.

                              Regards,
                              Eric
                            • replicant3333
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 14, 2005
                                --- In oasys-pci@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Baird" <eric_baird@c...> wrote:
                                > A couple of Idle Thoughts ... if someone wanted to spend some more
                                > serious money on portable IXT/Oasys box, you can get little
                                > touchscreens here:
                                > http://linitx.com/index.php?
                                > cPath=64&osCsid=ed5e7afa92e0ca3463ca91dd984dbbb0
                                >
                                > , or if someone wanted to get /really/ silly and blow a load of cash
                                > on a 1U rackmount Oasys computer, you can get a 1U keyboard and
                                > screen here:
                                > http://store.compute-aid.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?
                                > category=100&item=KVM-RPD115&type=store
                                >
                                > , but that's really getting into silly money. :D

                                So, is anyone out there using their OASYS with a touchscreen?

                                Cheers
                                Joakim