Re: Using the Oasys in a standalone computer?

  • John
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 1, 2002
      The biggest problen is monitor space. Having 2 'virtual' desktops
      on my 'real' desktop was quite a jugglimg act until I bought another
      monitor...now it is transparent. The speed is very good, but all I
      did was control the Oasys, Unity, and Reaktor instruments (I wasn't
      playing Quake III or anything) so I don't know about 'real'
      performance. I did get reasonable updates on my instruments too (i.e.
      channel indicators, waveform windows, etc)...

      Reaktor 3 Mac is buggy, so it did make my 'session' to that computer
      crash occasionally by tweaking some knob (it was also a third party
      ensemble). Timbuktu is also very good (and fast) at transferring
      files between PC and Mac using a standard file manager interface, so
      I am a very happy customer!

      I am using Timbuktu Pro 2000. The latest version (6.0 I believe)
      costs about $80 per computer (www.pcstop.com or www.techonweb.com).

      JR

      > On Monday, Sep 30, 2002, at 23:04 America/Montreal, John wrote:
      >
      > > I must say the coolest part was using
      > > Netopia's Timbuktu Pro to control the other computers without
      getting
      > > out of my seat!
      >
      > That's interesting. I was about to buy a KVM switch to work on both
      > computers with the same monitor and keyboard, but Timbuktu might be
      > another solution, with the added advantage (although a slight one)
      of
      > not having to fiddle with a switch all the time. Is it fast and
      > reliable? Anyone have an opinion on Timbuktu vs. a KVM switch?
      >
      > Thanks again.
      >
      > --
      > Martin Nadeau
    • John
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 1, 2002
        You have to do some routing.

        Once you define your hardware (either in FreeMidi or OMS) you should
        have a graphical representation of your interface...including the
        ports. Simply click-drag from each port to each device (Unity driver
        and Oasys A or B respectively). Use the Unity midi monitor for
        troubleshooting...

        JR

        --- In oasys-pci@y..., Martin Nadeau <nadeama2@v...> wrote:
        > Thanks everyone for your replies.
        >
        > I'm still a little confused as to how to get Unity to listen to the
        G3
        > Midi interface's cable 1, and Oasys to listen to cable 2. I'm not
        sure
        > I understand how I can set up FreeMidi or OMS to do that, or how a
        > sequencer (in my case, DP 2.72) can help. I guess I'll have to
        > experiment.

      • Joe F
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 1, 2002
          If you don't need OMS for something use FreeMIDI only. That will save you a
          lot of headaches.

          If you have the 2 MIDI interfaces connected via a "Network" port you have to
          set up the "Slave" interface in FreeMIDI on the "Master" computer.

          If you just have the 2 interfaces connected via MIDI cables you set up those
          MIDI ports on the Master as regular instruments connected to the port, just
          like any other external synth.

          The Oasys A and Oasys B driver icons you see in FreeMIDI setup only work on
          the computer you have the Oasys in. So if you're using MIDI cables only,
          your Master computer is just talking to the MIDI ports on it's interface.

          The way you set up FreeMIDI on both machines will determine how you see all
          your devices within each program.

          Joe F.

          On 10/1/02 11:24 AM, "John" wrote:

          > You have to do some routing.
          >
          > Once you define your hardware (either in FreeMidi or OMS) you should
          > have a graphical representation of your interface...including the
          > ports. Simply click-drag from each port to each device (Unity driver
          > and Oasys A or B respectively). Use the Unity midi monitor for
          > troubleshooting...
          >
          > JR
          >

          > --- In oasys-pci@y..., Martin Nadeau <nadeama2@v...> wrote:
          >> Thanks everyone for your replies.
          >>
          >> I'm still a little confused as to how to get Unity to listen to the
          > G3
          >> Midi interface's cable 1, and Oasys to listen to cable 2. I'm not
          > sure
          >> I understand how I can set up FreeMidi or OMS to do that, or how a
          >> sequencer (in my case, DP 2.72) can help. I guess I'll have to
          >> experiment.
        • Martin Nadeau
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 3, 2002
            Thanks again to everyone for your replies. I've finally figured out how
            to use Digital Performer as a Midi router on the second computer, and
            I'm very happy with my new setup.

            --
            Martin Nadeau