Re: [oasys-pci] Re: OASYS & new 'Mirror Door' G4's -- SUCCESS!!!!

  • Mark Pipher
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 1, 2002
      I just wanted to note that there is a well documented problem with emagic
      apps and over 1 gig of RAM. You didn¹t list what version of Logic Audio
      Platinum you are using, but I believe the 5.x versions corrected this.
      Otherwise, the usual solution is to pull one of the sticks to get yourself
      below a gig to fix problems with their software.

      Mark

      On 8/31/02 6:00 PM, "enemyofsilence" <enemyofsilence@...> wrote:

      > --- In oasys-pci@y..., Joe F <joef1@m...> wrote:
      >> > Outstanding Craig, that's really good news.
      >
      > Still no luck on my machine. I must say I'm getting really
      > frustrated - not with the Oasys, but with the Mac. I can perhaps
      > chalk it up to lack of Mac-savy, but the damn thing is driving NUTS.
      >
      > latest example - I bought Waveburner so that I could use Emagic's
      > mastering plug-ins as well as the UAD-1 compressors & Pultec (the UAD-
      > 1 is about the only thing working under os9.2.2). Well, it won't burn
      > at all - I get errors. Seems like the OS is grabbing the blank disk
      > and locking it for a 'long write', but even it can't access it. What
      > f*@&#^^@*;ing FUN!
      >
      > It just works? Shouldn't it be pretty simple to set up? A new G4 with
      > 1.25 G of Ram, an AMT-8/Unitor 8, Motu 828, Logic Audio Platinum, and
      > Oasys, and a UAD-1. Oh, and Waveburner Pro 2.2 for burning disks.
      > I've got conflict catcher loaded and it's not helping. Oms is
      > installed. Logic works - but for some reason the 'input' port shows
      > 64 ports (it should show 16).

    • Joe F
      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 1, 2002
        Okay, it's going to work, that's for sure.

        A big difference between Mac and PC troubleshooting is that very seldom
        would you do something major like reformatting your drive or even opening
        the machine. Most problems are solved by simple things, usually disabling
        startup files and trashing preferences.

        I would try this:

        1) Put the Oasys in the first open slot. From what I gather, that's right
        next to the video card. Make sure it's seated properly and the pins haven't
        been damaged.

        2) Start up holding the shift key down for all extensions off.
        Trash these files from System Folder:Preferences:
        OASYS PCI Driver Preferences
        OASYS PCI Editor Preferences

        And this one from System Folder:OMS Folder:OMS Preferences:
        Studio Patches Prefs

        This may seem silly, but just make sure you only have one 9.2.2 System
        Folder on the machine.

        3) Open the Sound control panel and set input and output to the built-in
        options. Open the Energy Saver control panel and set it to never sleep and
        the "separate timing' options off. Make sure AppleTalk and File Sharing are
        both turned off.

        Then re-install Oasys software and update. Leave it stock until you've got
        it running.

        Now Shut Down the machine (don¹t "Restart" - "Shut Down")

        4) Power up the machine and immediately hold down "command-option-p-r" (all
        four together). Hold them down until you hear the startup sound a second
        time, then release them. This resets the Parameter RAM (PRAM), which is sort
        of like the BIOS on PCs. You may need to reset your clock and monitor
        settings but don't do it yet; immediately "Shut Down" again.

        5) Make sure all your peripherals are turned on, Unitor & 828. If you have
        any Oasys digital connections, remove them and just hook up the analog outs
        for now. Power up the machine.

        6) If it starts up go right into OMS Setup, load your saved setup and check
        the preferences and quit. Now try the Editor.

        If that doesn't work I'd try a clean install of 9.2.2 next.

        I have my Oasys connected to an 828 via the Lightpipes, the 828 is the
        master clock (set to "Internal") and in Oasys prefs I have the clock source
        set to "ADAT". The 828 optical ins and outs are set to "ADAT".

        At one point I had problems with using Oasys when the 828 wasn't turned on.
        Once I had everything running smoothly this went away. I think a potential
        problem is having the Oasys set to 48k with the 828 as the master and not
        turned on. I use 44.1k so if the 828 isn't on, the Oasys prefs are already
        set to the default. The Oasys and 828 are *supposed* to jive with each other
        "on the fly", but my experience has been that I need to restart.

        Good Luck,
        Joe F.
      • enemyofsilence
        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 1, 2002
          --- In oasys-pci@y..., Joe F <joef1@m...> wrote:
          > Okay, it's going to work, that's for sure.
          >
          > I would try this:

          <snip>

          > Good Luck,
          > Joe F.

          Wow Joe,
          Thanks for all the detailed info! I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

          BTW,I was pleased to see Logic 5.3 for OSX released today - had it
          up and running in 5 minutes. I'll still be using os 9 for the
          foreseeable future, with Logic/OSX's lack of VST support etc., but
          Logic under OSX shows fantastic potential. I was playing around a bit
          with the ES2 softsynth, and it was as responsive as any hardware
          synth I've played. Looks like CoreAudio 'n CoreMidi are gonna rock.

          Anyway, thanks again. I'll let ya know how it turns out.

          btw, this is the madness I'm trying to tame
          http://www.enemyofsilence.com/Studio/studioconfig.htm

          cheers,
          Sean G.
        • enemyofsilence
          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 1, 2002
            --- In oasys-pci@y..., Mark Pipher <mpipher@m...> wrote:
            > I just wanted to note that there is a well documented problem with
            emagic
            > apps and over 1 gig of RAM. You didn¹t list what version of Logic
            Audio
            > Platinum you are using, but I believe the 5.x versions corrected
            this.
            > Otherwise, the usual solution is to pull one of the sticks to get
            yourself
            > below a gig to fix problems with their software.
            >
            > Mark

            Thanks Mark, I'm running 5.2 (Platinum). 5.3 for OSX came out today
            as well - looks great so far.

            Sean G.
          • jay_tobias
            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 20, 2002
              These "how to optimize" articles appears every 3-6 months or so in music
              magazines like Keyboard, Electronic Musician, Home Recording, and Sound
              on Sound. Sometimes even MacWorld and MacAddict cover the topic.

              I'd go to www.zdnet.com who publish a lot of the PC-based mags as well as
              the web sites for the music magazines. Some tweaks are general and others
              depend on the model and OS, your equipment, and how it's connected.

              For myself, I devote a disk or at least a partition to a clean install of the OS
              with *only* the software needed for audio, making sure there's enough RAM
              and disk space, and whatever can be set is done so correctly. Then it's off to
              the manufacture's web site for (a) the latest drivers, updates, and firmware,
              and (b) their own optimization advice.

              Sorry I can't give you a 3 or 10-point list, but it's not in general what works for
              one might be detrimental to another. You may want to even shut down some
              of the supplied extensions (if you're in OS 9) and play with Energy modes (I
              noticed some of the OS X one "reduce" processor performance). For
              example, Presentation Mode never sleeps and uses highest CPU
              performance (i.e. it doesn't reduce it).

              Another good thing to is copy or burn an a DVD image(s) of your setup as you
              make changes so you can back to last improved and working state without
              having to start from scratch. Keep notes and write *everything* down. As
              "easy" as it's getting, there's still a colloquialism in prosumer, computer audio.

              Good luck and let us know what you find. Details are fine :-)

              Cheers,

              Jay