ForumTONIGHTBreadRiotsCairo/Oakland Port Shutdowns -- At Global Exchange

  • Rev.Sandra Decker
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 17, 2013

      Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 11:35:47 -0700
      Subject: Occupy SF Forum TONIGHT! Bread Riots in Cairo and the Oakland Port Shutdowns --
      LOCATION IS GLOBAL EXCHANGE!!!

      Occupy Forum continues Monday, June 17th, from 6:00 - 9 pm at Global Exchange

      2017 Mission Street near the 16th Street BART Station

      Information, discussion & community! Monday Night Forum!!

      Occupy Forum is an opportunity for open and respectful dialogue

      on all sides of these critically important issues!

      OccupyForum presents…

       Bread Riots in Cairo

      and the Oakland Port Shutdowns:

      What’s the Connection?

      In 2008, despite the world’s largest wheat harvest, bread riots broke out in thirty-three countries. In Egypt, the world’s number one importer, global wheat prices rose 130%. The main cause was the financialization of grain markets (similar to the housing boom/bust), driven by speculators like Goldman Sachs. In 2011, strikes and protests over bread shortages sparked struggles

      that toppled the Mubarak regime.

      That same year, global grain trading consortium EGT (Export Grain Terminal) built a new $200 million grain loading facility in Longview, Washington, to do what Walmart does, but in reverse: deliver grains down supply chains as fast – and cheap – as possible to growing markets in Asia, where diets are increasingly McDonaldized. When EGT broke its agreement to operate with ILWU union labor, the Occupy Movement acted in solidarity. The Port of Oakland shutdown on November second was followed on December twelfth the attempted shutdown of all West Coast ports.

      Gifford Hartman will lead a participatory presentation to look at the commodification of our food – and our lives  – and at possible future Occupy actions against this global trend. Hartman is a historian of social movements who guides the annual LaborFest walking tour to the sites of the 1946 Oakland General Strike. He is also part of the Global Social Factory & Supply Chains study/research group of the San Francisco Public Schools (http://thepublicschool.org/node/31602) and their Empire-Logistics mapping project (http://empire-logistics.org/).

      Donations to OccupyForum to cover our costs are encouraged; no one turned away!