Joel klein's mother complains about her son's name being omitted from article

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3, 2008

      Which brings up yet another possible answer to the question, why is Joel Klein injecting himself onto the national stage.

      To get his name in the papers to please his mom?

       Trimming, not tailoring, opinion

      http://www.palmbeachpost.com/opinion/content/opinion/epaper/2008/08/03/m2e_lpcol_0803.html

      By C.B. Hanif

      Palm Beach Post Editorial Writer and Ombudsman

      Sunday, August 03, 2008

      Claire Zimmerman called to say that she had a copy of the June 13 New York Times column by David Brooks, "and my son's name is in there, Joel Klein of New York . Yet The Palm Beach Post had the same article," she said, "and my son's name wasn't in there." Her obvious question: "Don't you get the same article from the Times?"

      The short answer is yes. But the query serves as a reminder that rare is the wire-service or even locally produced item that appears here exactly as the original. The bottom line is that editors edit - for space or style or any reason toward the goal of better serving readers.

      For an example, consider that the news and feature items you see in the paper don't automatically fit on the page. It appears to happen so seamlessly thanks to the layout editors on the copy desk. They perform their magic by trimming a line - or paragraphs - from a news story. Or by highlighting quotes. Or adjusting the size of headlines, or photos and other art.

      Of particular importance in opinion matters is not changing a writer's sentiment.

      Mr. Brooks, for example, referred to "two education camps within the Democratic Party: a status quo camp and a reform camp." After discussing a statement from the former camp, he referenced a statement from the latter "signed by school chiefs like Joel Klein of New York " and others.

      As an editor seeking to lose a line in order to fit my space, I like to think that I would have kept Mr. Brooks' reference to Mr. Klein and instead trimmed "Michelle Rhee of Washington ." Not because Ms. Zimmerman lives here, but because so many transplanted New Yorkers do.

      Readers also may appreciate knowing that Post copy editors routinely try to better the syndication services' suggested headlines. In fact, I prefer "Sizing up Obama as a reformer," which ran here, to "Obama, Liberalism and the Challenge of Reform," on the Times' Web site.

      A Post editor did alertly change Mr. Brooks' "school chiefs like ... " to "school chiefs such as ... "

      But there was no departure from the sentiment of his words.

      New York , NY 10011
      212-674-7320
      classsizematters@...
      www.classsizematters.org
      http://nycpublicschoolparents.blogspot.com/

      Please make a tax-deductible contribution to Class Size Matters now!

    • Gary Babad
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 3, 2008
        If Joel's mom really wants to see his name in the paper, I'd be happy to
        send her a copy of the Times article on my parodies. His name is
        featured prominently in the first paragraph.
        -Gary

        --- In nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com, "Leonie Haimson" <leonie@...>