Missing teen returns Tottenville student left after being caught with a cell phone at school

  • norscot@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2006
      Missing teen returns, but says little about her days on the run
      Tottenville student left after being caught with a cell phone at school
      Staten Island Advance
      A 15-year-old Tottenville High School student who went missing from her Annadale home Friday has turned up safe on Staten Island's North Shore.
      Ashley Nicole Dini -- who disappeared from her home a day after being suspended from school for refusing to relinquish her cell phone -- was found by her father yesterday in New Brighton, according to police and the girl's mother.
      http://www.silive.com/news/advance/index.ssf?/base/news/1162388019151250.xml&coll=1
    • Eugene Falik
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 4, 2006
        I've directed my daughter that she may not give her cell phone to police or school officials, but she should not obstruct them if they take it.

        I've told her that if her phone is taken (by police, school officials, or others), as soon as it is safe for her to do so, she should demand access to a phone (the NYS Public Service Act requires anyone who has control of a phone to yield it for this purpose), and call the police.  She should report a robbery (taking property by the use, or threat of the use of physical force).

        The attempt by the Education Department to make children and parents give up their rights (letter accompanying the Discipline Code) is an attempt to avoid this prosecution.  For this, and similar reasons, we refused to sign the letter that came home with the Discipline Code.  Among other things, a signature would relinquish the right of self defense (which is prohibited by the Code).

        Eugene Falik