Tues., March 25; manhattan institute conference on Mayoral control

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2008

      I hope every parent on this list serv who has views about what Mayoral control has led to here in NYC registers for this event asap.

       We should all attend try to counter these ridiculously unbalanced panels that will surely be trumpeting all the supposed virtues of Mayoral control – as well as to provide some counterweight to those in the audience who tend to be conservative business people whose own kids attend private schools or to well-financed schools in the suburbs, with all their usual attributes (including small classes) which this administration has done everything they can to deny to students attending the city’s public schools.

      Come on, guys –

      Tuesday, March 25, 2008

      8:00 am–12:00 pm

      8:00 am–Registration

      8:30 am–12:00 pm – Program

      Princeton Club

      15 West 43rd Street

      New York City

      Mayoral control has emerged as among the most significant new trends in urban school reform. Beginning in Boston and Chicago in the 1990s, this governance change has now been adopted by numerous other school districts, including New York City . The strongest argument for transferring control of school systems from independent boards of education to the office of the mayor, has been the hope of achieving greater efficiency and effectiveness, through clear accountability. The Manhattan Institute’s conference on mayoral control of urban school districts will look at the record to date and explore the question of whether serious innovation requires mayoral control. We hope you can join us.

      To RSVP, please call 646-839-3376, or visit www.manhattan-institute.org/events/cci_03-25-08.htm.

      AGENDA

      8:00 am

      Registration

      8:30 am

      Opening Remarks:

      Joel Klein, Chancellor, Department of Education, New York City

      9:00 am

      Panel Discussion I:  Lessons from Other Cities

      Panelists:

      Thomas Payzant, Former Superintendent, Boston Public Schools ;

      Senior Lecturer, Harvard Graduate School of Education

      Michelle Rhee, Chancellor, District of Columbia Public Schools

      Paul Vallas, Superintendent, Recovery School District , New Orleans

      Kenneth Wong, Walter and Leonore Annenberg Chair for Education Policy,

      Director, Urban Education Policy Program, Brown University

      Moderator: Marcus Winters, Senior Fellow, Manhattan Institute

      10:20 am

      Break

      10:30 am

      Panel Discussion II:  Mayoral Control Reauthorization in New York City

      Panelists:

      David Bloomfield, Associate Professor & Program Head, Educational

      Leadership, Brooklyn College

      Seymour Fliegel, President, Center for Educational Innovation-Public Education Association

      Diane Ravitch, Research Professor of Education, New York University

      Joe Williams, Executive Director, Democrats for Education Reform

      Moderator: David Steiner, Klara & Larry Silverstein Dean, School of Education , Hunter College , CUNY

      12:00 pm

      Adjournment

      8:00 am–Registration

      8:30 am–12:00 pm–Program

      RSVP:  Acceptances Only

      646-839-3376

      If you accept and find you are unable to attend, please be sure to let us know.

      Manhattan Institute • 52 Vanderbilt Avenue • New York , NY   10017

      Phone: 212-599-7000 • Fax: 212-599-3494 • E-mail: mi@...