FW: DE BLASIO ADMINISTRATION TAPS NEW ADVISORY BOARD TO HELP DEVELOP NEW...

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 17, 2014

      Wonder where they will find the space – with kids already getting their mandated services in hallways and closets, and our elementary schools at 97% utilization…

      THE CITY OF NEW YORK
      OFFICE OF THE MAYOR
      NEW YORK, NY 10007

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: July 17, 2014
      CONTACT: pressoffice@...<mailto:pressoffice@...>, (212) 788-2958<tel:%28212%29%20788-2958>

      DE BLASIO ADMINISTRATION TAPS NEW ADVISORY BOARD TO HELP DEVELOP NEW YORK CITY’S NEXT WAVE OF COMMUNITY SCHOOLS

      Leaders from community groups, social services, businesses and academia to hone new models for turning schools into vibrant community hubs that provide services to at-risk families

      NEW YORK—Mayor Bill de Blasio today kicked off the planning process for a slate of new Community Schools, with a gathering of leaders from across the city who will help the City innovate ways of delivering greater services and support to at-risk families. Joined by Deputy Mayor Richard Buery and Schools Chancellor Carmen Fariña, the Mayor tasked the Community Schools Advisory Board with helping to enhance existing programs, raising the bar for community schools across the city, increasing parental involvement, and developing new community schools that reach families in need. The Advisory Board is composed of stakeholders from various sectors—foundations, business, education, research, health, and non-profit providers—all of which play a role in existing and new Community Schools.

      Last month, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced a $52 million grant by the New York State Department of Education, which will be managed in partnership with the United Way of New York City to develop 40 innovative Community Schools that will match comprehensive social services and learning programs at high-need public schools across the city. By reaching students with vitally important services, ranging from mental health support to homework help and family counseling, Community Schools have a proven track-record of helping at-risk children succeed in the classroom and beyond.

      “This is a critical pillar of our strategy to lift up students and schools across this city. Combined with pre-K for all and expanded after-school programs, Community Schools are going to be a vital tool of reaching thousands of children at risk of falling behind. We are turning to the people who know how to make these models work best and have decades of experience serving communities across this city. We’re proud to have their support and are going to ensure the practices they help develop are put into action,” said Mayor Bill de Blasio.

      “There are children across this city who need more than a textbook and a teacher to learn. And I’ve see firsthand what we can achieve when we invest in the whole child. We are bringing in some of the most experienced advocates, professionals and institutions from across the city to make sure our new Community Schools have the tools, resources and innovations to set a new gold standard in holistically educating and supporting our kids,” said Deputy Mayor Richard Buery.

      “At Community Schools, parent involvement and engagement happens every single day, embedded in every single factor of the school. I have seen parents in classrooms as volunteers, parents learning lessons so they can support their students inside and outside of school, and parents as partners to support each other—this directly impacts student engagement. This real collaboration between parents, teachers, principals and students is part of the vibrant DNA of Community Schools,” said Schools Chancellor Carmen Fariña.

      Community School Advisory Board Members:

      Organization

      Board Member

      Advocates for Children

      Kim Sweet

      Broome Street Academy Charter School

      Principal Barbara McKeon

      Brown University /Annenberg Center

      Megan Hester

      Center for Children’s Initiatives

      Nancy Kolben

      Children’s Aid Society Community School

      Principal Ife Lenard

      Children’s Defense Fund – NY

      Melanie Hartzog

      Children’s Health Fund/Columbia University

      Karen Redlener

      City Council Speaker’s Office

      Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito

      Alliance for Quality Education

      Zakiya Ansari

      Columbia Presbyterian

      Dr. John S. Santelli

      Council of School Supervisors & Administrators

      Ernest Logan

      Cypress Hills Local Development Corporation

      Michelle Neugebauer

      DOE Community Education Council President - D17

      Nicole Job

      East Bronx Academy for the Future  - 12X271

      Principal Sarah Scrogin

      El Puente

      Frances Lucerna

      FoodBank NYC

      Margarette Purvis

      Ford Foundation

      Sanjiv Rao

      Good Shepard Services

      Sister Paulette LoMonaco

      Harlem Children’s Zone

      Anne Williams-Isom

      Harlem RBI

      Rich Berlin

      Jewish Board of Family and Children’s Services

      David Rivel

      Lutheran Health Care

      Kathy Hopkins

      Montefiore Health System

      Dr. David Appel

      Mount Sinai Hospital

      Dr. Angela Diaz

      National Center for Community Schools

      Jane Quinn

      New Settlement

      Jack Doyle

      New Visions for Public Schools

      Bob Hughes

      New York State Cradle to Career Alliance

      Vanessa Threattle

      NY Regents

      Lester Young

      NY State Afterschool Network

      Nora Niedzielski-Eichner

      P.S. 6 - The Ellen Lurie School

      Principal Wanda Soto

      P.S. 65 - The Raymond York Elementary School

      Principal Rafael Morales

      Partnership for NYC

      Kathryn Wylde

      Phipps CDC

      Dianne Morales

      Robin Hood Foundation

      Emary Aaronson

      State Assembly Speaker’s Office

      Speaker Sheldon Silver

      State Assembly Education Committee

      Assemblywoman Cathy Nolan

      SUNY

      Nancy Zimpfer

      TASC/ExtendED Learning

      Lucy Friedman

      The Child Center of NY

      Deep Ghosh

      The New School/Center for NYC Affairs

      Kim Nauer

      Tishman Speyer

      Rob Speyer

      Trinity Wall Street

      Ariella Louie

      Turnaround for Children

      Pamela Cantor

      UFT Community Schools Initiative

      Karen Alford

      United Parents of Highbridge

      Ocynthia Williams

      United Way of NYC

      Sheena Wright

      YMCA - NYC

      Jack Lund

      Youth Development Institute

      Sandra Escamilla-Davies

      ###

    • mathman180
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 17, 2014
        Interesting list -- they'll need to meet at MSG or the Javits Center to accommodate that many people.

        Also, I don't a single person with an Asian surname, nor any community agency originating out of Chinatown, Sunset Park, or Flushing, as least as far as I can tell. I guess nobody asked John Liu for his input. I see El Puente and Harlem Children's Zone -- even P.S. 6 for the Upper East Siders, but it appears the Asian community's voice isn't that important in DeBlasio/Farina's education policy discussions.

        Am I missing something here?

        Steve Koss

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 17, 2014
          same old same old...only this time they are both out of town and don't have to hear it......what's the deal w CEJ and AQE on everything.....not even a attempt w  a CPAC