sharter schools rent/rooms

  • mchgh_lln
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 14, 2014
      So someone help me understand some thing, which I may be dea wrong about but still think is a wedge to drive between our Posturing Prince on the Hudson and the rest of the state
      isn't the state required to come up with the balance of the rent money for the charter schools?
      if so, do the folks upstate and on Long Island, Republicans and Democrats included, understand that their tax money will be coming to NYC for rent?
      if they did not vote to spend the money for rent for charter schools and the state is using taxable revenues to pay for charter schools rent isn't that a violation of the rule of local law that applies to the 714 community school districts across the state?
      or am I reaching for straws?

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 15, 2014

        Can you explain the specific Local law that you are referring to Ellen?  My understanding is that the state starts kicking in 60% of the cost of NYC charter leases once the city hits $40M per year for charter rent.

        What the voters in the rest of the state will think I have no idea but I imagine they will be relieved that no such costs and obligations were imposed on their communities to provide free space to all new and expanded charters going forward.

        Leonie

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 15, 2014
          I may have used the phrase local law incorrectly.  By it I meant that the localities decide how their tax money is spent on schools.  School Boards vote on how and for what purpose their school taxes are used.  If the school tax money funds a school in another district (NYC) is that a violation?  They didn't vote for that.
          Or is this another "only in districts with residents of 1 million or more" thing

          What I don't get is why these other areas think they are exempt form the problems this will cause in funding anything in their areas: it's a state payment to the NYC DOE of 60% to fund charter schools.  Where do these folks think that 60% comes from?  Or is NYC still carrying the state since the state has begun it StartUp NY don't tax the new business for 10 years plan.
          Has Cuomo not looked at what is happening in Arkansas where growth is stagnant and jobs have not blossomed in a corporate, business, conservative, ALEC led friendly state?

          I can't wait to vote for Teachout!
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 15, 2014

            State aid for education  is determined by the state legislature and the Governor, not localities.  In other words, it’s not their own local tax money that is supporting the expansion of charters in NYC == it is their state tax money which is up to state officials to decide.

            Leonie

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 15, 2014
              Do they really believe that this is a good way to use their own money?  Do they know that state electeds are funding deep pocketed destroyers?
              Or is still just screw NYC (and the others of the Big 5).....but there's no divide between up state and down state, really.
              There has to be some way for folks to understand what their money will do to local schools.  Once the charter schools in NYC use up the 40 million, where will the rest of the money be found?  Winning windfall lawsuits against  banks is not going to provide long term funding for charter school rents.
              Another case of starve the beast