NY Teacher Tenure Suit Sidetracked by Media Hungry Parents Union

  • Francesco Portelos
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 8, 2014
      Is it getting hot in here.....or is it just me?

      NY Post - Media Hungry Parents Union Claim Teacher’s Tweets Threaten Kids in Anti-Tenure Suit

      In addition to these ridiculous articles,  AFT President Randi Weingarten just tweeted this. It's always good to have your union backing you...or not.

      Inline image 2

      Francesco A. Portelos
      Parent
      Educator

      "In the end, we will not remember the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -Martin Luther King Jr.
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 8, 2014

        Francesco:  you should not be even mentioning the names of any children on Twitter or otherwise.  You are playing into the hands of people who want to portray teachers as dangerous to their kids.  Even if you were being sarcastic, it is scary for parents to see their kids mentioned in this context.

        I would advise you to stay out of this controversy.

        Leonie

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 8, 2014
          Leonie you are so right..the more anyone is involved in the call and response these folks require to fuel their egos the more fuel is added to the fire that will consume the real issues: lack of resources, poor preparation and press that is more than willing to criticize not strategize.
        • Francesco Portelos
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 8, 2014

            I left their last name out and isn't it these parents who pushed their children's names into the limelight?

            It's a reality though. If a teacher does see a disservice such as IEP ignored or funds being misused, they are more likely to look the other way. Especially if they are not tenured.

            I can't stay out of this controversy because it will affect me both as a parent and educator. I want my children's teachers protected from retaliation if they observe bullying, services ignored or whatever.

            I appreciate the advice, but I'm inundated with emails from teachers and even administrators who share horrific stories affecting our children.

            Francesco Portelos
            Parent
            Educator
            educatorfightsback.org
            DTOE.org

            *sent from my Samsung Galaxy. Probably quick typing and little proofreading. Please excuse any typos.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 8, 2014

              I'm sorry, but this is just too easy.

              NYC Parents Union posted in June 2011 "We Love Our Teachers"

              http://www.nycparentsunion.org/archives/179

              You can't make this stuff up.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 8, 2014
                It's always the easy stuff that gets ya in the end.  Save your vitality and passion.