UWS Education Leaders Urge Boycott of Standardized Practice Tests

  • Noah Gotbaum
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 6, 2014

      Proud to say that CEC3 has taken a stand against the current field testing and will be asking Chancellor Farina put an end to them at our Town Hall next Wednesday.

      noah

      noah eliot gotbaum
      community education council district 3 (cec3)
      twitter: @noahegotbaum

      UWS Education Leaders Urge Boycott of Standardized Practice Tests

      By Emily Frost on June 5, 2014 2:30pm

       CEC 3 members are advocating for parents to encourage their children to boycott field tests, which they say offer students nothing in terms of educational value.  CEC 3 members are advocating for parents to encourage their children to boycott field tests, which they say offer students nothing in terms of educational value. View Full Caption
      Shutterstock / Operation Shooting

      UPPER WEST SIDE — Education leaders are calling on parents and teachers to boycottincreasingly unpopular standardized tests they say provide no value to students and are merely a boon to a well-resourced testing company.

      From June 2 to 11, local elementary and middle school students will be taking un-scored "field tests" in English Language Arts and math to provide the testing company Pearson with feedback on its exams. But members ofCommunity Education Council 3 said the tests take away from learning and that Pearson should fund its own research outside the classroom.

      "Why are we doing market research with our kids for Pearson?" asked CEC 3 member Noah Gotbaum, who said that parents don't know there aren't any consequences for skipping the tests. "There’s absolutely no benefit to our kids and no penalty [for opting out]."

      In Prospect Heights, a group of parents at P.S. 9 also organized a boycott of the field tests, which they said detracted from "learning that broadens their minds and makes them deep thinkers."

      Fellow CEC 3 member Theresa Hammonds found it baffling that such a large company couldn't find other ways to gather data regarding its tests.

      "You pull kids into a room and you pay them for their time," she said.

      Some members questioned Department of Education Superintendent Ilene Alstchul about the purpose of the tests, given how much time is already devoted to preparation for and taking standardized tests.

      "It’s for research purposes," Altschul said.

      The CEC planned to draft a letter to Schools ChancellorCarmen Fariña demanding the DOE discontinue field testing and for an explanation of the practice. Members are also drafting a resolution encouraging families to opt out of the tests this year and next year.

      "New York owns the field test and makes decisions about when and how it is administered. Pearson works with educators and the state to develop the assessments to meet the policy goals of New York," said Pearson's Director of Media Relations Stacy Skelly, in a statement.

      --
    • Victoria Frye
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 7, 2014
        well done CEC3!

        On Jun 6, 2014, at 2:49 PM, Noah Gotbaum noah@... [nyceducationnews] wrote:

[...]

        From June 2 to 11, local elementary and middle school students will be taking un-scored "field tests" in English Language Arts and math to provide the testing company Pearson with feedback on its exams. But members ofCommunity Education Council 3 said the tests take away from learning and that Pearson should fund its own research outside the classroom.

[...]

        Victoria (Tory) Frye
        vicnyc@...
        646-418-6435

      • Neal H. Hurwitz
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 7, 2014
          sad to see educators and officials in education made into "test hacks"...
          children are not mice either... or auto engines...

          now if they could make testing play that might work better!!!

          the testers are getting forced into apologizing and explaining and rationalizing too much...

          Best, Neal

          Neal H. Hurwitz
          NY, NY

          :-)

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 7, 2014
            I went to PS 9 in Prospect Heights--- "The Brotherhood School"... :)
            and 5 of my children attended PS75 and MSC K-5 and one K-8, and Mott Hall II in District 3.
            When Joe Elias was Sup't of Dist 3 I worked with him when I was at Teachers College, IUME.

            TY, Neal