Fwd: [Ed Notes Online] Fred Smith: Leonie brings Gloom and Doom to InBloom, Dragon Slayer Kills the Demon Seed

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 22, 2014

      The accolades are rolling in for Leonie Haimson on the inBloom closing announcement. Leonie's campaign should written up in textbooks. She won a major war against the leading ed deformers.

      Just look at this list from Diane Ravitch:

      • The company was started with a grant of $100 million from the Gates Foundation and the Carnegie Corporation, to gather confidential student data and store it on an electronic "cloud."
      • The technology for collection and storage of student data belonged to Wireless Generation, a subsidiary of Amplify, run by Joel Klein and owned by Rupert Murdoch
      Oh man! How delicious. For those who feel David cannot defeat Goliath, Leonie is one hell of an example.

      [Any photoshoppers out there who want to do a cartoon for ed notes exploring this concept - use Gates/Klein/Rupert as face of Goliath and little Leonie with slingshot -- ball labelled "parent/student rights" as it smashes into their head.]

      Leonie truly began this fight standing alone - a gang of one against some of the major forces behind the privatization ed movement. She was relentless to the point where I would say to myself, "Stop already! What's the point. She can't beat these guys." But Leonie did beat them - to a pulp. An example to me and everyone else -- they can be beat  --
      The national leader of the fight was Leonie Haimson, leader of a New York City-based group called Class Size Matters, who testified across the nation and alerted parents to the possible breach of their children's confidential data.... Diane Ravitch
      Thank You Leonie! This wouldn't/couldn't have happened without all you did to spearhead the pushback!... Susan
      Wow, this statement shows this guy just doesn't get it. He thinks teachers don't get enough information about how their students are doing by working with them day in and day out, month after month, but need InBloom's data dashboards to feed them factoids and tell them which book to read or science experiment to do next. Unbelievable. Good riddance, and thanks to Leonie and everyone across the country who worked so hard to bring about this result! Now let's send Pearson packing! .... Jeff Nichols
      Dragon Slayer Kills the Demon Seed.
      Leonie brings Gloom and Doom to InBloom. Wow.
      Yes, Jeff, we need to stop the Pearson juggernaut. Another impossible dream. Just as foolish as going up against the inevitability of InBloom... Fred Smith
      Leonie Haimson Statement on inBloom's overdue demise
      Hopefully, today’s announcement that inBloom is closing its doors will make government officials, corporations and foundations more aware that parental concerns cannot be ignored, and that they must stop foisting their “solutions” on our schools and classrooms with no attention given to the legitimate concerns of parents and their right to protect their children from harm.

      Yet the statement issued by inBloom’s CEO reeks of arrogance and condescension, and makes it clear that those in charge still have not learned any lessons from this debacle. The fervent opposition to inBloom among parents throughout the country did not result from “misunderstandings”, but inBloom ‘s utter inability to provide a convincing rationale that would supercede the huge risks to student security and privacy involved.
      Leonie's full statement here at the NYCPublicSchoolParent blog.

      By the way, do you think Rupert has figured out that Joel Klein can't run anything?

      Below the break is the statement from inBloom:

      inBloom to Shut Down Amid Growing Data-Privacy Concerns

      http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/DigitalEducation/2014/04/inbloom_to_shut_down_amid_growing_data_privacy_concerns.html

      By Benjamin Herold on  April 21, 2014 10:33 AM
      After months caught in the crosshairs of parents, advocates, and educators concerned about student-data privacy, controversial nonprofit inBloom announced Monday that it will close its doors.
      The announcement, sent in an email to the Atlanta-based organization's "friends and partners," comes on the heels of the New York state legislature's recent enactment of legislation that effectively pulled the plug on the education department's relationship with inBloom.
      Founded in 2011 with $100 million in support from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and the Carnegie Corporation of New York, inBloom aimed to serve as a data repository for states and districts, storing and cleaning a wide range of student information, then making it available to district-approved third parties to develop tools and dashboards so the data could more easily be used by classroom educators.
      The nonprofit company sparked a high-profile backlash, prompting withdrawal of planned partners in Louisiana, Colorado, New York, and elsewhere.
      In the organization's emailed announcement, the full text of which is provided below, CEO Iwan Streichenberger decried "mischaracterizations" of inBloom's work and security protocols and called it "a shame that the progress of this important innovation has been stalled because of generalized public concerns about data misuse, even though inBloom has world-class security and privacy protections that have raised the bar for school districts and the industry as a whole."
      Following is the full text of the announcement from inBloom CEO Iwan Streichenberger:
      In 2011, an alliance of educators and state leaders, non-profit foundations, and instructional content and tool providers formed the Shared Learning Collaborative (SLC). The vision of that group was simple: create a resource that allows teachers to get a more complete picture of student progress so they can individualize instruction while saving time, effort and precious resources.
      I signed on to the project in November 2012 to lead inBloom, the nonprofit corporation that is the SLC's successor. I joined because I passionately believe that technology has the potential to dramatically improve education. My belief in that mission is as strong today as it ever was. Students, teachers and parents deserve the best tools and resources available, and we cannot afford to wait.
      Over the last year, the incredibly talented team at inBloom has developed and launched a technical solution that addresses the complex challenges that teachers, educators and parents face when trying to best utilize the student data available to them. That solution can provide a high impact and cost-effective service to every school district across the country, enabling teachers to more easily tailor education to students' individual learning needs. It is a shame that the progress of this important innovation has been stalled because of generalized public concerns about data misuse, even though inBloom has world-class security and privacy protections that have raised the bar for school districts and the industry as a whole.
      The use of technology to tailor instruction for individual students is still an emerging concept and inBloom provides a technical solution that has never been seen before. As a result, it has been the subject of mischaracterizations and a lightning rod for misdirected criticism. In New York, these misunderstandings led to the recent passage of legislation severely restricting the education department from contracting with outside companies like inBloom for storing, organizing, or aggregating student data, even where those companies provide demonstrably more protection for privacy and security than the systems currently in use.
      We stepped up to the occasion and supported our partners with passion, but we have realized that this concept is still new, and building public acceptance for the solution will require more time and resources than anyone could have anticipated. Therefore, in full alignment with the inBloom Board of Directors and funders, I have made the decision to wind down the organization over the coming months. It wasn't an easy decision, and the unavailability of this technology is a real missed opportunity for teachers and school districts seeking to improve student learning.
      I want to thank you for your partnership in our endeavors and look forward to speaking with many of you in the coming months.

      --
      Posted By ed notes online to Ed Notes Online at 4/22/2014 07:03:00 AM

      --
      Have a good day

      Norm Scott
      normsco@...
      917-992-3734

      On Twitter:  @normscott1

      Education Notes Online
      ednotesonline.blogspot.com/

      GEM, Grassroots Education Movement
      gemnyc.org

      The Inconvenient Truth Behind Waiting for Superman - Now Online
      http://gemnyc.org/our-film/

      Education Editor, The Wave
      http://www.rockawave.com/

      Norms's Robotics blog
      http://normsrobotics.blogspot.com/
    • Francesco Portelos
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 22, 2014

        Leonie? I thought the UFT won this. I mean according to this article: http://www.uft.org/news-stories/inbloom-out

        ;)

        Francesco Portelos
        Parent
        Educator
        IS 49 UFT Chapter Leader
        educatorfightsback.org
        Mrportelos.com

        *sent from my Samsung Galaxy. Probably quick typing and little proofreading. Please excuse any typos.

        "In the end, we will not remember the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -Martin Luther King Jr.

        Visit us on line: https://www.changethestakes.org
        On Facebook https://www.facebook.com/changethestakes, https://www.facebook.com/BoycottHighStakesTests
        On Twitter: @changethestakes
        ---
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 22, 2014

          NYSUT blasted inBloom and invited me to a rally to speak about it in Albany.  UFT testified against it at a NYC Council hearings.

          Randi was originally on the inBloom advisory board but then publicly resigned after I explained to her that they were planning on sharing personal student data with third party vendors w/out parental consent, which she had wrongly believed was barred by FERPA.

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 22, 2014
            The key question is why would Randi sign on to the inBloom board in the first place? (Or any number of other ventures pushed by the ed deformers). It took Leonie about 5 minutes to figure out the dangers. Then with no massive organization behind Leonie like Randi has with the AFT/NYSUT/UFT Leonie went to work dismantling inBloom. What does it say that the very people and orgs that are supposed to be taking a stand for public schools and against privatization just misses the boat all the time?
            Or that it take Leonie explaining to Randi to get her to leave the board?
            If the local and state unions had used resources and political capital to push back immediately ---
            No one thinks Randi is dumb. Is it about being on the "team" even if it's the wrong team? Or the more sinister views that the leaders of the unions in this nation have a role to play.

            And Doug --- but if inBloom is David and Leonie Goliath it makes for a lousy cartoon. Some people think Gladwell is full of crap.
            I'll put my 2 bucks on David/Leonie, though to us she is a Goliath
            Norm
            .

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 22, 2014

              First of all, I love all the acclaim but inBloom was beaten back because there was immediate and fervent opposition to this among parents everywhere – as soon as they knew about it.  almost immediately after I posted our first national fact sheet for parents and Diane linked to it in her blog in January 2013, parents got activated in many if not most of the inBloom states and started reaching out to me. It was really a group effort.  the Louisiana, Colorado and Massachusetts advocates were incredible.  And the support I got throughout NYS not just among parents but also superintendents and school board members was fantastic.  The Assembly Education committee members said they had never seen such bipartisan support on ANY education issue and it was one of those rare issues where parents of all political stripes were outraged.

              The biggest frustration was that none of the national reporters recognized the importance of the story enough to write about it, despite repeated urgings.

              Stephanie Simon deserves a huge amount of credit b/c she immediately got it and did the first story in Reuters on the day inBloom launched at the SXSW Edu conference on March 3, 2012.  Before that, none of the reporters either 1-believed me that it was happening or 2- didn’t see what was wrong with it, and basically shrugged their shoulders.

              I can’t tell you how many NYT reporters refused to even respond to emails about it or said so what.

              And though Randi did not get it immediately – as she relied on inBloom’s statement that this was FERPA compliant , she didn’t realize how weakened FERPA had become.  As soon as I had a chance to explain it to her face to face, she pulled out.   It took about five minutes at most to explain it to her.

              Even worse than the media  was State Ed.  Though we started our campaign first in NYS in October 2012, we were the last state to pull out.   Every other inBloom state pulled out b/c of public pressure.  We were the ONLY state that had to pass a law to do this.  John King is the most unaccountable state ed commissioner in the country and the most resistant to recognizing  privacy concerns.

              And yes, Malcolm Gladwell is an ass.

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 22, 2014
                But you fired the first shot and were relentless and tireless along with all the other stuff you do. People listened and note how the press came to you for quotes. I know how far beyond that was from what almost anyone else could have done.
                Build it and they will come.
                Cheers,
                Norm Scott

                Twitter: normscott1