Bronx teacher (s) thrown in jail after criticizing principal

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 13, 2014

      Bronx teacher thrown in jail after criticizing principal

      By Susan Edelman

      http://nypost.com/2014/04/13/bronx-teacher-thrown-in-jail-after-criticizing-principal/

      April 13, 2014 | 4:23am

      Modal Trigger

      Bronx teacher thrown in jail after criticizing principal

      Lydia Howrilka was arrested for harassment and spent 14 hours in NYPD custody before charges were dropped.

      MORE ON:

      A Bronx teacher who criticized her boss got a hard lesson recently when she was thrown in jail.

      Lydia Howrilka, 24, of the Academy for Language and Technology HS, was fired last July by Principal Arisleyda Urena, who called her ineffective.

      Howrilka sued and filed a complaint alleging Urena improperly raffled off iPads and other costly prizes for kids. The claim prompted a DOE probe.

      Howrilka sent an e-mail asking about her treatment to Urena and Chancellor Carmen Fariña — and to some 40 other city and state education officials and city politicians.

      She got a call from the NYPD asking her to surrender on Urena’s charge of aggravated harassment.

      Howrilka spent seven hours in the 84th Precinct house before being moved to Brooklyn’s Central Booking.

      After seven more hours, a court officer said the DA had dismissed the charge.

      “I believe it was done to intimidate,” she said. “And I’m concerned it will have a chilling effect on other whistleblowers.”

      Urena’s lawyer, Tim Parlatore, said his client called cops “because of repeated, unwanted e-mails and communications.”

      Also tossed in the klink was Francesco Portelos, a technology teacher at IS 49 Berta A. Dreyfus on Staten Island, who was yanked from his classroom two years ago, after launching a blog accusing Principal Linda Hall of violating rules. The outcome of his termination hearing on charges of insubordination and other alleged misconduct is pending.

      Portelos, 35, who collects a $75,796 salary, wrote a satirical blog post on Feb. 24 saying he had hacked into the DOE’s payroll system with the password “kittensRcute,” and given himself a raise.

      “Ridiculous story? Yes it is,” he wrote in the same post, adding “the truth is I can’t hack and never have.”

      But the DOE’s chief information security officer, Desmond White, filed a complaint of official misconduct.

      The police report asks, “Is Victim fearful of their safety/life?” White apparently answered “YES.”

      Portelos spent 33 hours in custody, sleeping on the floor of a crowded cell next to a toilet, he said, before the DA dropped the charge.

      The DOE made no apology. “We believe Mr. Portelos acted inappropriately with a post on his blog, and we notified the NYPD out of an abundance of caution,” a spokesman said.

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 13, 2014
        Lydia spoke about her situation, though not her arrest, at the PEP this past week.
        The ability of any principal to terminate an untenured teacher's career with the swipe of a computer stroke is outrageous. Almost every teacher I know struggled early in their career. If a principal doesn't want them why stop them from working in a school that does?
        Unless Farina wrestles with the old BloomKlein gotcha legal squad the war on teachers will continue.

        Here is the ed notes post from the other day.

        Lydia Howrilka Speech on DOE Discontinue Black List at PEP, April 9, 2014

        Readers of Ed Notes know about the horrendous Discontinue, where any principal is given the power to terminate the career of any non-tenured teacher, even if another principal wants to hire them - as was the case for Lydia. What insane system do we have where a first year teacher can have their dreams of teaching in the NYC school system ended by a vindictive principal? Why vindictive do you say? Even if you think that teacher did not do a good job, why would you want to stop another principal who was impressed by that teacher from giving her a fresh start? Only evil people would do that.

        On Wednesday, Lydia went to the PEP to use her 2 minutes to tell her story directly to Carmen Farina, who I imagine doesn't really give a shit. But let's force her to listen to these stories anyway.

        Read MORE's Paul Hogan piece on this issue: On Discontinue - MORE's Paul Hogan -

        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIUmn1SV36Y&feature=youtu.be

        --
        Visit us on line: https://www.changethestakes.org
        On Facebook https://www.facebook.com/changethestakes, https://www.facebook.com/BoycottHighStakesTests

        Have a good day

        Norm Scott
        normsco@...
        917-992-3734

        On Twitter:  @normscott1

        Education Notes Online
        ednotesonline.blogspot.com/

        GEM, Grassroots Education Movement
        gemnyc.org

        The Inconvenient Truth Behind Waiting for Superman - Now Online
        http://gemnyc.org/our-film/

        Education Editor, The Wave
        http://www.rockawave.com/

        Norms's Robotics blog
        http://normsrobotics.blogspot.com/
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 13, 2014

          Isn’t there a city law to protect teachers who are whistleblowers, passed a few years ago w/ UFT support?  What happened w/ that?

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 13, 2014
            UFT interested in PR not in actual enforcement.
            Note how they are silent on the Discontinue or the extension of tenure used by principals to keep them under the thumb. We met a 6th year untenured teacher the other day who was kept on the hook by a bully principal and only now after transferirng to a new school
             last summer should be in position for tenure.
            UFT buries these stories because they can't or won't fight these battles.
            I maintain that the UFT benefits from teacher turnover and the driving of high salaried teachers out  no matter what they say in public.
            Dues for new teachers are the same as for people making twice as much. Get rid of high salary and replace by 2 newbies and double the revenue. A win-win for the DOE and the UFT.

            Lydia Howrilka Speech on DOE Discontinue Black List at PEP, April 9, 2014

          • Francesco Portelos
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 13, 2014

              I heard that Portelos guy mentioned is trouble. (Trouble-finder not trouble-maker.)

              What's also disturbing is that the same NYPD precinct and detectives were involved in both false arrests. We're looking into it.

              Parents, you have to keep in mind how important it is that your children's teachers have protection when they speak up. Whistleblower law need to be enforced. My whistleblower claim from SCI was denied. You know, the same SCI that tampered with files in my car and two years later admitted "errors. SCI Files http://protectportelos.org/the-sci-files/

              Please sign and share petition to salvage the careers of these probationary teachers like Lydia.

              http://www.change.org/petitions/katherine-rodi-save-the-careers-of-discontinued-teachers?utm_campaign=new_signature&utm_medium=email&utm_source=signature_receipt#share

              Francesco Portelos
              Parent
              Educator
              IS 49 UFT Chapter Leader
              educatorfightsback.org
              Mrportelos.com

              *sent from my Samsung Galaxy. Probably quick typing and little proofreading. Please excuse any typos.

              "In the end, we will not remember the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -Martin Luther King Jr.

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 13, 2014
                Francesco,

                I have to say for me the surest sign that we are fighting real autocracy occurred as my kids approached the testing grades and I noticed codes of silence erected between us and our children's teachers.

                As mad as I am about the highjacking of curriculum and teaching methods perpetrated by the corporate deformers, the gag orders, "test security" and other manifestations of the threats and intimidation teachers -- and principals -- have been living with are to me a violation of a sacred trust.

                Parents and teachers are raising the kids. NO ONE has a right to interfere in their free and open communication about all matters affecting those children.

                A teacher's right -- rather, obligation -- to speak out about misdeeds in his school is simultaneously his right and obligation to provide the best learning environment for our children.

                Parents, don't accept the wall of silence that those who would usurp the rightful authority of teachers over their own classrooms want to erect between teachers and parents! We need at all times to be able to hear the truth from teachers, whom we have chosen as our partners in bringing up our kids.

                Teachers, my family stands united with you in denying the data (we will never participate in state testing under anything like the current regime in Albany) and in demanding that we together, and no one else, will determine the shape of our children's education.

                Jeff

                Lydia Howrilka Speech on DOE Discontinue Black List at PEP, April 9, 2014

[...]

                Associate Professor
                Queens College and The Graduate Center, CUNY