Re: [nyceducationnews] Fwd: [district3parents] tonight at 8pm: "What Just Hap...

  • RichardEdBarr@...
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 9, 2014
      sounds correct -- the charter lobby ran a candidate against him in the last primary

      In a message dated 4/9/2014 1:05:49 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, gmergenthaler@... writes:

      Anyone know where Bill Perkins stands on charters and colocations? (We know where Espaillat stands.)
      ...I remember attending a D3 meeting regarding a charter taking over the adult education high school...and, if I remember correctly, Perkins was there and was not happy about school closures, colocations and charters...but maybe I am misremembering...

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 9, 2014

        As I mentioned before, Perkins was one of only three Senators to vote against the education budget w/ its onerous charter provisions.

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 9, 2014
          You are correct. He is a vociferous opponent. He communicated his disapproval several weeks ago at a clergy event I attended.
          Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

          From: RichardEdBarr@...
          Sender: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2014 13:07:11 -0400 (EDT)
          To: <nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com

[...]

        • mergenthaler gretchen
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 9, 2014
            oh yes, thanks Leonie....wonder how Espaillat will frame things tonight? Anybody going? He is in support of charters AND colocations....even though colocations have ruined many schools in D6 in the last decade. And he continues to call district 6 schools "underutilized" even as we continue to lose art rooms, music rooms, science labs to colocations (and the teachers that go with them)...and as we continue to count moldy trailers as gen ed classrooms. Not to mention the outdoor sport/play space lost to trailers. D6 is the opposite of "underutilized."

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 9, 2014
              I believe he also voted no on the budget.

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 9, 2014
                Perkins consistently worked with parents and community to support their co location battles the last many years in Harlem

                Francine Streich
                United Federation of Teachers
                Manhattan Borough Office
                fstreich@...