G and T

  • mchgh_lln
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2007
      So, if Klein and co have already done whatever it is they did with
      gifted and talented programs why is the office of family engagement
      having a working group on this topic? Isn't it a done deal? Why are
      we spinning our wheels at these mtgs?
      The office of family engagement requested that each CEC send six (6)
      embers to meet witht he office staff on six topics, gifted and talented
      programs was one of the sub committees. If the office of family
      engagement wants people to particpate, shouldn't there be something to
      discuss? Or are members of the CECs expected to listen to the new
      propsal and walk away with information, not input. Clarity of purpose
      would be a good thing here.
    • Patrick Sullivan
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2007
        Ellen,

        The G&T plan released Monday is a proposal.  DOE will take comments for a month, take them into consideration and release the final plan.

        Will the final be any different?  I can't say.  I don't like that they gave one days notice for Monday's meeting and only a week's notice for these public hearings.  They say they're making more of an effort to solicit input but these seem like half-measures.

        The schedule for hearings is below along with the email address for taking comments.

        Patrick

        Public Hearings on Gifted and Talented Education Proposal

        10/30/2007

        The DOE will hold public hearings in all five boroughs on its gifted and talented education proposal. The schedule for each hearing is as follows:

        6:00 p.m. - Doors open. Speaker signup begins.
        6:30 p.m. - Hearing begins with presentation of the proposal.
        6:45 p.m. - Public comment. Speakers will be called in the order in which they signed up. Each speaker will have three minutes to make a comment or ask a question. Questions should be short enough to allow for an answer within the three minute allotment. The time limit will be strictly enforced so that as many people as possible have a chance to speak.
        8:30 p.m. - Hearing concludes.

        Members of the public can also submit comments through November 25 via e-mail (to giftedandtalented@...) or via phone (call (212) 374-5219).

        The dates and locations of the hearings are below.

        Manhattan
        When: Monday, November 5
        Where: Fashion Industries HS (225 W 24th St.)

        Staten Island
        When: Tuesday, November 6
        Where: PS 58 (77 Marsh Ave.)

        Queens
        When: Thursday, November 8
        Where: John Adams HS (101-01 Rockaway Blvd.)

        Bronx
        When: Thursday, November 15
        Where: Evander Childs HS (800 E. Gun Hill Rd.)

        Brooklyn
        When: Monday, November 19
        Where: Brooklyn Technical HS (29 Fort Greene Pl.)

        To: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com
        From: mchgh_lln@...
        Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 15:31:04 +0000
        Subject: [nyceducationnews] G and T

        So, if Klein and co have already done whatever it is they did with
        gifted and talented programs why is the office of family engagement
        having a working group on this topic? Isn't it a done deal? Why are
        we spinning our wheels at these mtgs?
        The office of family engagement requested that each CEC send six (6)
        embers to meet witht he office staff on six topics, gifted and talented
        programs was one of the sub committees. If the office of family
        engagement wants people to particpate, shouldn't there be something to
        discuss? Or are members of the CECs expected to listen to the new
        propsal and walk away with information, not input. Clarity of purpose
        would be a good thing here.

      • Maria Dapontes-Dougherty

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 5, 2007

            Smoke and mirrors. Looks good for the stats, that meetings were held. The people who attend will be held up as “parent leaders” who showed how participative the DOE is.

            Betsy