Please, someone, run for governor

  • Ann Kjellberg
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 31, 2014
      We should all line up behind someone right now, however unlikely, as a protest.

      Campaign finance decision also revolting.
    • RichardEdBarr@...
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 31, 2014
        Barrage the Working Families Party with demands that they not give Cuomo their ballot line, as they did in 2010.  You can do it through AQE as well, since the two are connected.

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 1, 2014

            my computer sent the previous one early.  To start again,

            And  don't forget, the voters of the state elected a democratic majority in the Senate, but it can't exert it's majority decision-making leverage because of the renegade breakaways who caucus with the republicans.  Which is not to say that with a real democratic majority we'd be getting everything we'd like to get  (look at the Assembly for an example of that)  but we'd be getting more of what we want and less of what we don't want.  The breakaway renegades are a real problem and allow Cuomo to leverage with them and the otherwise-minority republicans to thwart progressive legislation.

            So alternatives to Sen. Jeff Klein (Bx.), Diane Savino (S.I.)  Simcha  Felder (Bklyn), and (it pains me to write this) Tony Avella (Queens), as well as Malcolm Smith (Queens) and John Sampson (Bklyn) -- who don't caucus with anyone -- need to be found.  It's very important.  If you don't live in one of their districts, let your own senator know how important this is to you,  They must be primaried.  If there were straight-up dem. majorities in both houses, Cuomo wouldn't have the leverage to play them off against each other to advance his insidious agenda.

            RB

            In a message dated 3/31/2014 11:47:39 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, kjellzer@... writes:

            We should all line up behind someone right now, however unlikely, as a protest.

            Campaign finance decision also revolting.

          • Lisa
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 1, 2014
              Do we have the actual hit list?
               As in who voted yay and nay?

              I am sure PLENTY of DEMs in BOTH bodies voted for this budget deal - they must be held accountable, especially if from NYC and they know better.

              To: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 1, 2014
                Indisputable, but my point is, if the 3 in the room cooking up the budget deal to present to their rank-and-file members were Silver, the Dem. majority leader of the Senate, and Cuomo, the final deal presented for that vote would probably be better than what's coming out of the negotiations between Silver, Cuomo, Skelos and Klein.  Now, not to be too defensive of them, some dems in both houses probably feel like in order to get some things they want in the budget they have no choice but to vote for some crap they don't want, because there's such heavy weight wielded first  in the backroom negotiations by conservative points of view not in the best interest of NYC.

                To: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 1, 2014

                    Yes yes of course but they al need to get the message.
                    I can not make anyone pay but my own elected.
                    Who used that same excuse to justify his vote while taking charter lobby $$$$$$.

                    Time to make these deal makers at all levels pay.

                    To: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 1, 2014

                      People should ask their legislators how they voted; not sure how to get this list at this time but will try.  I heard thru twitter that several Senators spoke up against it, including Hoylman, Sanders and others; Sen. Sanders who I saw Friday night called it education apartheid.

                      Meanwhile, here is the video of  the GOP guy who is running against the Governor, Rob Astorino ran yesterday, slamming Cuomo, King and Bill Gates on the Common Core, calling it a vast untested experiment, and saying he will opt his kids out of the state exams.

                      http://www.nystateofpolitics.com/2014/03/astorino-says-hell-pull-his-kids-out-of-common-core-exam/

                      Here is the attack on Astorino by Sen. Latimer presumably at Cuomo’s behest, claiming Cuomo has been the voice of parents and students on this issue.

                      http://www.nystateofpolitics.com/2014/03/latimer-astorinos-kids-are-political-props/

                      Here is the attack on Astorino by the DN editorial staff today, quoting Merryl Tisch saying that “If you are against standards, you are contributing to our decline.”

                      http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/astorino-cry-attention-article-1.1740999

                      To: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 1, 2014

                        Koppell is threatening to run against Klein, and apparently has a decent chance if he does.  This column by Dicker says he is looking for union support before he commits.  UFT anyone?

                        http://nypost.com/2014/03/31/soros-son-pushed-cuomo-legislature-into-campaign-funding/

                        Koppell told The Post that he’ll decide on whether to challenge Klein within two weeks.

                        While Klein is widely viewed as vulnerable, Koppell has told friends he’ll run only if he has strong support from the city’s politically powerful labor unions and the backing of key donors like Soros.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 1, 2014
                          We can all help, even if someone is not in our district.

                          Elections depend on money and labor which we can all contribute.

                          Eugene Falik