Fwd: NYS A/M Kavanagh (@BrianKavanaghNY) replied to one of your Tweets!

  • Patrick Sullivan
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 30, 2014
      I prodded Assemblyman Kavanagh a bit on twitter and got him to defend his vote for the budget.  He acknowledged the mandate for charter school rent should not be in the budget.

      I will give him credit for 1) actually knowing the issues and 2) engaging on them.  When I called my own AM, Dan Quart, his office had no idea what I was talking about.

      Has anyone reached anyone in the Assembly who is going to vote against the budget?

      Patrick

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 31, 2014

        John Kucsera
        March 26, 2014
        Civil Rights Project

        Public school students in the state are increasingly isolated by race and class as the proportion of minority and poor students continues to grow.

        This Day in History: On Feb. 3, 1964, 464,000 New York City school children — almost half of the city’s student body — skipped school as part of a protest against segregation within their school system. , Brooklyn Daily Eagle,

        LOS ANGELES--A report released today by UCLA’s Civil Rights Project finds that public school students in New York continue to be severely segregated. Public school students in the state are increasingly isolated by race and class as the proportion of minority and poor students continues to grow, according to the CRP report, “New York State’s Extreme School Segregation: Inequality, Inaction and a Damaged Future.”
        The study explores trends in enrollment and school segregation patterns from 1989 to 2010 at the state and regional levels, including the New York City metropolitan areas of Long Island and the New York City District, and the upstate metropolitan areas of Albany, Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse.
        The report also documents the history of school desegregation in the state and across its geographic regions, including key desegregation cases and remedies in Yonkers, Rochester, and Buffalo.
        In New York City, in particular, the report highlights both historical and current practices and policies perpetuating racial imbalance and educational inequity across schools, and challenged by parents and community organizations.
        Educational problems linked to racially segregated schools, which are often intensified by poverty concentration, include a less-experienced and less-qualified teacher workforce, high levels of teacher turnover, inadequate facilities and learning materials, high dropout rates, and less stable enrollments. Conversely, desegregated schools are linked to profound benefits for all students.
        “This report runs the geographic gamut: from the upstate metros dealing with transforming demographics and an urban-suburban divide, to Long Island, one of the most segregated and fragmented suburban rings in the country, and New York City, the largest school district in the country,” said John Kucsera, lead author of the report.
        Specific findings at Various Geographic Levels

        Statewide:
        • At the state level, the proportion of Latino and Asian students has nearly doubled from 1989 to 2010, as the exposure of these groups to white students has decreased.
        • Concentration levels have increased for black students in intensely segregated minority schools (where less than 10% of the student body is white), and there has been a simultaneous and dramatic increase in black exposure to Latino students over the last 20 years.
        • In terms of poverty concentration, statewide patterns show that schools become more low-income as their enrollment becomes majority minority.
        • Nearly 50% of public school students were low-income in 2010, but the typical black or Latino student attended a school where close to 70% of classmates were low-income. Conversely, the typical white student attended school where less than 30% of classmates were low-income.
        Upstate Metropolitan Areas:
        • In Buffalo, the typical white student attended a school with 30% of poor students compared to 73% for the typical black student, two and one half times more.
        • Black and Latino students experienced a substantial increase in the percentage concentrated in intensely segregated schools (those with less than 10% white students) since 1989.
        • In the Syracuse metropolitan area, the proportion of black students grew by 4%, but black isolation rates skyrocketed. The average black student attended school in 1989 with a third of students from their own race; twenty years later, the typical black student attended schools with nearly half black students.
        • The majority of school districts in upstate New York remain predominantly white.  In the Rochester metro, however, near a quarter of school districts are drastically changing, with most substantially integrating nonwhite students.
        • In the Albany metro, 97% of the metro’s multigroup segregation – measured by the distribution of racial groups in schools across the metro – occurred between rather than within districts.  A total of 59 out of 65 districts in 2010 were predominantly white or nonwhite.
        New York City:
        • Across the 32 Community School Districts (CSDs) in New York City, 19 had 10% or less white students in 2010, which included all districts in the Bronx, two-thirds of the districts in Brooklyn (central to north districts), half of the districts in Manhattan (northern districts), and only two-fifths of the districts in Queens (southeast districts).
        • 73% of charters across New York City were considered apartheid schools (less than 1% white enrollment) and 90% percent were intensely segregated (less than 10% white enrollment) schools in 2010. Only 8% of charter schools were multiracial  and with over a 14.5% white enrollment (the New York City average).
        • Magnet schools across the New York City district had the highest proportion of multiracial schools (47%) and the lowest proportion of segregated schools (56%) in 2010.  However, 17% of magnets had less than 1% white enrollment and 7% had greater than 50% white enrollment, with PS 100 Coney Island having a white proportion of 81%.
        New York Metropolitan Area:
        • For the New York City metro in 2010, the five boroughs represented nearly 60% of the state’s total black students, two-thirds of the total Asian and Latino students, but only 10% of white students.
        • In Bronx, Brooklyn, and Manhattan, where charter schools consist of around 10% of all public schools, nearly all charters were intensely segregated in 2010, with less than 10% white student enrollment. 100% of the Bronx charters, 90% of those in Brooklyn, and 97% of the Manhattan charters were intensely segregated.
        Author Kucsera states, “Many of these areas, particularly suburban ones, have experienced dramatic demographic transformation coupled with a lack of diversity-focused policies, and this inevitably leads to problematic segregation patterns.”
        With the help of various New York-based community groups, researchers, and civil rights organizations, the report provides a host of recommendations and actions to help create and maintain integrated schools from the federal level down to local communities and schools.  These include altering school choice plans to ensure they promote diversity, supporting communities that are experiencing racial change by helping them create voluntary desegregation plans, and creating regional or interdistrict programs in urban/suburban areas.
        “In the 30 years I have been researching schools, New York State has consistently been one of the most segregated states in the nation--no Southern state comes close to New York,” commented CRP Co-Director Gary Orfield. “Decades of reforms ignoring this issue produced strategies that have not succeeded in making segregated schools equal.  It is time to adopt creative school choice strategies to give more New York children an opportunity to prepare to live and work effectively in a highly multiracial state.”
        Read the report and see a complete breakdown of the data. This report is the fifth in a series of 12 reports on East Coast school segregation trends.

        Neal H. Hurwitz
        NY, NY

        :-)

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 31, 2014

            If your legislators claim ignorance, they either aren’t paying attention or they’re lying.

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 31, 2014
              It's less about ignorance, I think, but you're asking them to sacrifice any influence and effective future in the legislature by going against Silver.  If the UFT cannot, or chooses not to, influence Silver and others, like Avella, where UFT support gave him the position, it's hard to go after the little guys one by one.  Where has the UFT been??

              Mel

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 31, 2014
                Find your Assembly Member here: http://assembly.state.ny.us/mem/?sh=search

                and  an email search: http://assembly.state.ny.us/mem/?sh=email This last link seems like you can take all the email addresses and copy them for a mass email. BCC of course.

                Perhaps someone on this list can write a generic email others can copy and send to their representative. I apologize if this exists and I missed it.

                Francesco Portelos
                Parent
                Educator
                IS 49 UFT Chapter Leader

                "In the end, we will not remember the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -Martin Luther King Jr.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 31, 2014
                    One of Kavanagh's big donors has been the co founder of Girls Prep Charters  (now Public Prep CMO), and Families for Excellent Schools  and the Coalition for public Charter Schools sponsor, financier Bryan Lawrence

                    http://www.wnyc.org/story/behind-pro-charter-school-group-fighting-de-blasio/
                    Families for Excellent Schools formed in 2011. Four of its five founding board members are Wall Street players, including Paul Appelbaum, an investor who is the principal at Rock Ventures LLC, and Bryan Lawrence, who runs an investment firm and has years experience with charters. Two of the board members did donate to De Blasio's campaign committee.

                    LAWRENCE, BRYAN R
                    1088 PARK AVE
                    NEW YORK, NY 10128
                    2,000.0010-SEP-08BRIAN KAVANAGH FOR ASSEMBLY2008 32 Pre GeneralAMember of Assembly7

                    AWRENCE, BRYAN R
                    1088 PARK AVENUE
                    NEW YORK, NY 10128
                    1,500.0018-NOV-11PEOPLE FOR BRIAN KAVANAGH2012 January PeriodicAMember of Assembly74
                    LAWRENCE, BRYAN R
                    1088 PARK AVE.
                    NEW YORK, NY 10128
                    1,000.0005-JUL-12PEOPLE FOR BRIAN KAVANAGH2012 July PeriodicAMember of Assembly74
                    LAWRENCE, BRYAN R
                    1088 PARK AVE.
                    NEW YORK, NY 10128
                    1,000.0022-NOV-13PEOPLE FOR BRIAN KAVANAGH2014 January PeriodicAMember of Assembly74
                    LAWRENCE, BRYAN R
                    1088 PARK AVE.
                    NEW YORK, NY 10128
                    1,000.0018-DEC-12PEOPLE FOR BRIAN KAVANAGH2013 January PeriodicAMember of Assembly74
                    LAWRENCE, BRYAN R
                    1088 PARK AVE
                    NEW YORK, NY 10128
                    1,000.0014-JUN-11PEOPLE FOR BRIAN KAVANAGH2011 July PeriodicAMember of Assembly74
                    LAWRENCE, BRYAN
                    1088 PARK AVE
                    NEW YORK, NY 10128
                    2,400.0013-JAN-10PEOPLE FOR BRIAN KAVANAGH2010 January PeriodicAMember of Assembly74
                    LAWRENCE, BRYAN
                    1088 PARK AVE
                    NEW YORK, NY 10128
                    2,400.0009-DEC-09PEOPLE FOR BRIAN KAVANAGH2010 January PeriodicAMember of Assembly74
                    LAWRENCE, BRYAN
                    1088 PARK AVE
                    NEW YORK, NY 10128
                    1,000.0016-DEC-10PEOPLE FOR BRIAN KAVANAGH2011 January PeriodicAMember of Assembly74

                    Assembly Member Brian P. Kavanagh's Campaign Finances

                    Brian P. Kavanagh
                    Full Name:Brian P. Kavanagh
                    Office:State Assembly (NY) - District 74, Democratic
                    Last Elected:11/06/2012
                    Next Election:2014

                    http://votesmart.org/candidate/campaign-finance/66879/brian-kavanagh#.UU8zIBfIGzk

                    Top Contributors

                    RHODES, DAVID$7,500.00
                    1199 SEIU UNITED HEALTHCARE WORKERS EAST$4,900.00
                    LAWRENCE, BRYAN R$3,500.00
                    SANDERS, STEVEN$2,750.00
                    KAVANAGH, SANDRA M$2,600.00

                    ttp://www.followthemoney.org/database/StateGlance/contributor_details.phtml?c=118092

                    COALITION FOR PUBLIC CHARTER SCHOOLS

                    Total Given to Date: $92,700 (63 records)

                    Contributor Type: Institution

                    Address: Multiple Cities, NY

                    Ideology/Single Issue
                    Public Education Policy
                    School Choice Advocates

                    CURRY, RAVENEL B

                    LAWRENCE, BRYAN R

                    KAVANAGH, BRIAN P ASSEMBLY Unknown DEMOCRAT 1 $2,400 See Records

                    01/13/2010

                    LAWRENCE, BRYAN   Uncoded

                    KAVANAGH, BRIAN P

                    NEW YORK, NY

                    $2,400

                    12/09/2009

                    2/09/2009

                    2010LAWRENCE, BRYAN
                    1088 PARK AVE
                    NEW YORK, NY 10128
                    2,400.0009-DEC-09A
                    2010LAWRENCE, BRYAN
                    1088 PARK AVE
                    NEW YORK, NY 10128
                    2,400.0013-JAN-10A

                    2010COALITION FOR PUBLIC CHARTER SCHOOLS
                    99 WASHINGTON AVENUE
                    ALBANY, NY 12210
                    1,000.0014-DEC-09C
                    2011LAWRENCE, BRYAN
                    1088 PARK AVE
                    NEW YORK, NY 10128
                    1,000.0016-DEC-10A
                    2011LAWRENCE, BRYAN R
                    1088 PARK AVE
                    NEW YORK, NY 10128
                    1,000.0014-JUN-11A

                    2011THE COALITION FOR CHARTER SCHOOLS PAC
                    121 STATE ST
                    ALBANY, NY 12207
                    500.0004-JAN-11C

                    2012LAWRENCE, BRYAN R
                    1088 PARK AVE.
                    NEW YORK, NY 10128
                    1,000.0005-JUL-12A
                    2012LAWRENCE, BRYAN R
                    1088 PARK AVENUE
                    NEW YORK, NY 10128
                    1,500.0018-NOV-11A

                    2013LAWRENCE, BRYAN R
                    1088 PARK AVE.
                    NEW YORK, NY 10128
                    1,000.0018-DEC-12A

                    2014LAWRENCE, BRYAN R
                    1088 PARK AVE.
                    NEW YORK, NY 10128
                    1,000.0022-NOV-13A

                    Along w/ Girls Prep Trustee and co founder of  DFER, R. Boykin Curry, who gave $2400 to BK 1/15/10and another $1K in 2011.

                    2010CURRY, RAVENEL
                    106 CENTRAL PARK SOUTH
                    NEW YORK, NY 10019
                    2,400.0014-DEC-09A
                    2011CURRY, RAVENEL
                    106 CENTRAL PARK SOUTH
                    NEW YORK, NY 10019
                    1,000.0016-DEC-10A
                    To: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 31, 2014
                      TY Lisa! Neal :)

                      Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.
[...]

                      NEW YORK, NY< /span>

[...]

                      < /font>

                      2010CURRY, RAVENEL
                      106 CENTRAL PARK SOUTH
                      NEW YORK, NY 10019
                      2,400.0014-DEC-09A
                      2011CURRY, RAVENEL
                      106 CENTRAL PARK SOUTH
                      NEW YORK, NY 10019
                      1,000.0016-DEC-10A
                      To: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 31, 2014
                        Nice work Lisa.

                        Here is the list of all members with email addresses. Three members didn't have. Copying all these and pasting them in the BCC section of an email works most of the time.

                        abbatep@...
                        abinantit@...
                        ArroyoC@...
                        AubryJ@...