FW: NYC 52 more charters going forward

    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 29, 2014
      According to my pro-bono consultant on charters, Mona Davids, there will be
      52 more new charter schools in NYC before we reach the cap. In addition,
      ANY charter that wants to expand grade levels to MS and HS is NOT being
      counted as a new charter under the cap by the authorizers, SED and SUNY --
      though they should be.

      Thus all Eva's charters as well as Achievement First, Uncommon and KIPP
      Democracy Prep and others will probably expand through HS -- and NYC will
      have to build a building for all of them or else put them into our already
      overcrowded HS buildings. All new capital dollars will probably have to be
      spent in the next ten years on building or renting facilities for charters.

      As of March 2014, we already have 215 approved charters in NYC, with 183
      currently operating. 119 of the 183 (65%) are in co-located spaces and will
      thus have the ability to infinitely expand inside those spaces or get new
      buildings paid for by you and me.

      http://www.p12.nysed.gov/psc/documents/NYSCharterSchoolFactSheet2013-1403201
      4.pdf
    • Brooke yahoo

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 29, 2014

          According to Mona, no.

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 29, 2014
            Anybody notice with this huge development today, de Blasio is silent.
            Crickets...

            Hopefully, folks will stop drinking the de Blasio Kool-Aid, wake up and
            smell the coffee.

            Just because you voted for him doesn't mean you don't hold him accountable
            for his actions or lack of actions.

            To be clear, your Mayor that you voted for, did not fight against charters
            not paying rent or the City paying their rent in private space. He was
            too busy calling the wealthy charter benefactors funding the $5 million ad
            campaign against him to make nice.

            Now, that this is over, maybe de Blasio will finally present his
            educational plan to improve our public schools and make them competitive
            with charters before most parents flee them for the 52 charters about to
            be opened.

            Mona

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 29, 2014
              I know I'm beating a dead horse but we can't beat them without masses of people. Smallish rallies in front of schools being co-located is getting old.
              And when people supposedly leading the opposition send their own kids to charters they cannot lead the battle.
              Charters in any form are a threat to the public schools.
              Is it time to give up the ghost and take up knitting?

              --
              Have a good day

              Norm Scott
              normsco@...
              917-992-3734

              On Twitter:  @normscott1

              Education Notes Online
              ednotesonline.blogspot.com/

              GEM, Grassroots Education Movement
              gemnyc.org

              The Inconvenient Truth Behind Waiting for Superman - Now Online
              http://gemnyc.org/our-film/

              Education Editor, The Wave
              http://www.rockawave.com/

              Norms's Robotics blog
              http://normsrobotics.blogspot.com/
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 29, 2014
                From Perdido Street School blog
                http://perdidostreetschool.blogspot.com/2014/03/mulgrew-responds-to-budget-agreement.html#comment-form

                Mulgrew Responds To Budget Agreement

                From the NY Times:

                Michael Mulgrew, president of the United Federation of Teachers, the city’s teachers’ union, said the changes proposed on Saturday amounted to favoritism for charter schools at the expense of students in traditional public schools.

                “They can’t be second-class citizens in their own school system,” Mr. Mulgrew said.

                Now they are.

                Eva Moskowitz can now expand her schools as much as she wants and the city is on the hook for the rent or the space.

                Also, every time SUNY authorizes a new charter, the city is on the hook for rent/space there too.

                You can bet Eva will test this new power this year.

                Shame the UFT/AFT didn't fight this.

                But like Albany pols, they probably took a measure of the power in this fight between de Blasio and Eva and decided de Blasio is weak and would lose the battle.

                3 comments:

                1. Do not be surprised if Randi Weingarten comes out in support of Cuomo. This is what her actions indicate. She is working for the neoliberal wing of the Democratic Party against rank and file teachers.

                  Replies
                  1. Absolutely. I really think the UFT/AFT signed off on this deal with a wink and a nod. There's a reason Silver didn't fight it.

                2. Mulgrew is either dissembling, and gave Silver a nod-and-wink to accept this deal, because he so slavishly supports Cuomo, or else is utterly powerless to do anything.

                  Either way, teachers and students lose, and 52 Broadway continues to be a dues-collection agency.

[...]

              • Noah Gotbaum
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 29, 2014
                  This bill is supposed to age 72 hours before being voted on yes?  Means Monday pm vote?  Can we get a citywide rally organized before then - tough.

                  Instead we should probably organize a citywide call chain for Monday to borderline senators and Assembly members focusing on Silver telling them that parents and community members will hold them accountable at the voting booth come September.  Other thoughts?

                  noah eliot gotbaum
                  twitter: @noahegotbaum

[...]

                • Khem Irby
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 30, 2014
                    I'm in total agreement.

                    He could at least come up with a strategy to delay their openings.

                    Or maybe the More caucus and parents will apply for the 52.

                    Khem Irby

                    Sent from my T-Mobile 4G Android device

                  • robert bowen
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 31, 2014
                      And, with hedge fund billionaires in control, the "air-rights" to these locations will go to the Realtors, (they contribute huge amounts to political candididates); who can build luxury apartments and / or commercial space.
                      Just speculating about the distant future.
                      Oneness,
                      Rob

                      According to Mona, no.

[...]

                        Reporter