budget bill text is posted

  • Patrick Sullivan
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 29, 2014
      Looks like the City is forced to offer either space or rent to new or expanding charter schools.

      http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A08556&term=2013

      http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?default_fld=&bn=A08556&term=2013&Summary=Y&Text=Y

      (E) IN A CITY SCHOOL DISTRICT IN A CITY HAVING A POPULATION OF ONE 24 MILLION OR MORE INHABITANTS, CHARTER SCHOOLS THAT FIRST COMMENCE 25 INSTRUCTION OR THAT REQUIRE ADDITIONAL SPACE DUE TO AN EXPANSION OF 26 GRADE LEVEL, PURSUANT TO THIS ARTICLE, APPROVED BY THEIR CHARTER ENTITY 27 FOR THE TWO THOUSAND FOURTEEN--TWO THOUSAND FIFTEEN SCHOOL YEAR OR THER- 28 EAFTER AND REQUEST CO-LOCATION IN A PUBLIC SCHOOL BUILDING SHALL BE 29 PROVIDED ACCESS TO FACILITIES PURSUANT TO THIS PARAGRAPH FOR SUCH CHAR- 30 TER SCHOOLS THAT FIRST COMMENCE INSTRUCTION OR THAT REQUIRE ADDITIONAL 31 SPACE DUE TO AN EXPANSION OF GRADE LEVEL, PURSUANT TO THIS ARTICLE, 32 APPROVED BY THEIR CHARTER ENTITY FOR THOSE GRADES NEWLY PROVIDED. 33 (1) NOTWITHSTANDING ANY OTHER PROVISION OF LAW TO THE CONTRARY, WITHIN 34 THE LATER OF (I) FIVE MONTHS AFTER A CHARTER SCHOOL'S WRITTEN REQUEST 35 FOR CO-LOCATION AND (II) THIRTY DAYS AFTER THE CHARTER SCHOOL'S CHARTER 36 IS APPROVED BY ITS CHARTER ENTITY, THE CITY SCHOOL DISTRICT SHALL 37 EITHER: (A) OFFER AT NO COST TO THE CHARTER SCHOOL A CO-LOCATION SITE IN 38 A PUBLIC SCHOOL BUILDING APPROVED BY THE BOARD OF EDUCATION AS PROVIDED 39 BY LAW, OR (B) OFFER THE CHARTER SCHOOL SPACE IN A PRIVATELY OWNED OR 40 OTHER PUBLICLY OWNED FACILITY AT THE EXPENSE OF THE CITY SCHOOL DISTRICT 41 AND AT NO COST TO THE CHARTER SCHOOL. THE SPACE MUST BE REASONABLE, 42 APPROPRIATE AND COMPARABLE AND IN THE COMMUNITY SCHOOL DISTRICT TO BE 43 SERVED BY THE CHARTER SCHOOL AND OTHERWISE IN REASONABLE PROXIMITY.
    • May Taliaferrow
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 29, 2014
        Personally, each proponent of this gross injustice
        should be voted out of office!

        May Taliaferrow
        Lic.Real Estate Sales person

        Keller Williams Realty Landmark II
        Jackson Heights | NY 11370
        Office 347.846.1200
        Direct 917.572.8812

        "A spirited mind never stops within itself; it is always aspiring and going beyond its strength"
        -Montaigne

        Download the KW app and put in my agent code KW2MVTJLA

        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 29, 2014
          So de Blasio goes from charging Eva rent to paying her rent fees.
          Not a word of objection or any fight back.
          We've been through the Obama disappointment and now this.
          What this does is sour progressives on the political process as a mechanism for change.
          I often don't even bother making calls to my reps but yesterday's email from Leonie inspired me to call my state assemblyman. They have me an appointment with him and we had a very nice chat. Great guy and good rep - but admits he knows little about ed policy. He was loaded with the propaganda mill info -- choice, what's so bad about charters, etc. who else does he listen too? The UFT and they have almost nothing to say.
          He was receptive to me educating him - which my Wave columns have not up to this point. I don't think it is even worth the time.
          This is why I put time into changing the UFT -- until we turn that boat around the ed deformers will continue to run rampant with little real opposition.
          By the way - will the UFT charter get a piece of the action?
          We should call on the UFT to turn its charter into a public school as an example of what charters should do to come back into the fold. Give them some autonomy but no management fees, high salaries, and whatever. If they want space in public school buildings let them join the DOE.

          --
          Have a good day

          Norm Scott
          normsco@...
          917-992-3734

          On Twitter:  @normscott1

          Education Notes Online
          ednotesonline.blogspot.com/

          GEM, Grassroots Education Movement
          gemnyc.org

          The Inconvenient Truth Behind Waiting for Superman - Now Online
          http://gemnyc.org/our-film/

          Education Editor, The Wave
          http://www.rockawave.com/

          Norms's Robotics blog
          http://normsrobotics.blogspot.com/
        • mchgh_lln
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 29, 2014
            Since Michael Rebell is in court with the new CFE suit and Tish James has a lawsuit against the colocations will this bill be affected by either of the two lawsuits?  Can this be stopped by either of those lawsuits?
          • mchgh_lln
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 29, 2014
              What's to stop them from offering to rent an old Catholic school building and offering it to the charter school?  It would be a wind fall for the diocese and end the colocation battles, to a certain extent.
            • Ann Kjellberg
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 29, 2014
                Any hope?

                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 29, 2014
                  I remember the celebration over the first CFE "win". When does reliance on courts and political action wear thin? They always have us chasing the carrot in front o f our nose.
                  It will take the building of grassroots, not astroturf, organizations with real people involved.

                  The very hard work of going to CEC meetings like Change the Stakes people are doing, and putting down roots. And the recent work of TOFT in upper Manhattan. Recent stories in the mainstream press are signs that those strategies are bearing fruit in terms of opt-out. This is the biggest threat to ed deform. I would also add the growing militant movements in the teacher unions like Chicago and LA and Newark and hopefully here in NYC with the work of MORE.
                  We must build organizations that withstand the withering and wearing away- organizations that do rest on the work of a few people who if they leave or are not active, disappear.

                  On Ellen's last question about renting old Catholic school buildings -- people like Eva want the real estate of public schools. One day they intend to own Brandeis, Graphic Arts, Washington Irving and they had hoped to do the same with Bergtraum - and losing that base really pisses her off.
                  Harlem real estate? A goldmine -- PS 149  and others.

                  Imagine the day when these buildings and others are loaded with charter schools with barely a glimmer of a public school presence? They generously offer to take the buildings off the hands of a broke DOE controlled by their pals. Buy the building for a buck or 2  and then sell air rights and condos here we come.

                  (we saw this happen in Williamsburg in the 70s when the city went bankrupt and the local church and Hasidic groups used their control of the school board to play games).

                  On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 10:33 AM, <mchgh_lln@...> wrote:

                  Since Michael Rebell is in court with the new CFE suit and Tish James has a lawsuit against the colocations will this bill be affected by either of the two lawsuits?  Can this be stopped by either of those lawsuits?

                  --
                  Have a good day

                  Norm Scott
                  normsco@...
                  917-992-3734

                  On Twitter:  @normscott1

                  Education Notes Online
                  ednotesonline.blogspot.com/

                  GEM, Grassroots Education Movement
                  gemnyc.org

                  The Inconvenient Truth Behind Waiting for Superman - Now Online
                  http://gemnyc.org/our-film/

                  Education Editor, The Wave
                  http://www.rockawave.com/

                  Norms's Robotics blog
                  http://normsrobotics.blogspot.com/
                • lwinds4
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 29, 2014
                    It's been done already to 3 of them that I know of.

                    Laurie

                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 29, 2014

                        Apparently there was no push back from the Mayor. This is the most onerous charter law in the entire country.  I don’t know any state where a district must provide charters free space in public schools or build them facilities – with no ability to say no.  The legislature gave complete mayoral control to Bloomberg when he wanted to maximize public space for charters, and then completely took it away when NYC elected a mayor who said enough.

                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 29, 2014
                          When DiNapoli audited a Brooklyn charter, he found it paid $246,000 in rent to the Diocese, then charged $2.7 million in rent paid to itself as landlord.

                          Diane Ravitch

                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 29, 2014
                                  So, should we give up?  That's a pretty bleak scenario, Patrick.
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 29, 2014
                                    I agree and there are no public officials who think this is bad. Even Tony Avella walks away. At what point do those who give cover for the UFT's inept inability to lead a fight back get that they are helping prop up their phony cover as they often lead from behind?
                                    When do people demand they give up their own charter as a start in this fightback?
                                    What other institution out there has the remote chance of leading the resistance?
                                    Will they hold back COPE money from the politicians who voted for this or will they tell their people to man the phone banks for them when they run for re-election? I'm betting the latter. Why should politicians worry if they never have to pay?
                                    The fact is they have begun to eviscerate mayoral control - and maybe it is time to do an assault on that from our end.

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Mar 29, 2014
                                      No, Ellen, and I know you're not really suggesting giving up.  For one reason we've been at this a long time; those "poorest and street urchins" Diane talked about were mostly our race.

                                      We can do a few things: make people aware of what's happening and the consequences, hold our electeds accountable and if they do abandon public education , then run some people against them.   If Silver delivers charter school rent funding at the expense of public school operating budgets, then there's no longer any reason to support the Assembly Democrats.   Sure, maybe we get a few protest votes from Brennan etc.  but it's time to find new people to challenge the rest.

                                      Dmytro is looking hard at running against one Shelly's soldiers.  Lets encourage more of that and support those who do.

                                      On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 2:28 PM, <mchgh_lln@...> wrote:

                                      So, should we give up?  That's a pretty bleak scenario, Patrick.

                                    • Gail Robinson
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Mar 29, 2014
                                        Just a reminder that the UFT also did not fight the renewal of mayoral control in 2009.

                                        --
                                        Gail Robinson
                                        freelance writer

                                      • Lisa
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Mar 29, 2014
                                          Not fight it?

                                           Randy sold out her own internal committee's recommendations to broker the deal we got- the EIS and local hearings and other meaningless tweaks.

                                          But this shows that Mayoral control was just a cover- Mayoral control was fine when the Mayor was one of them- now that the newly elected  Mayor has other ideas, the corporate reformers have made clear who is really in charge.

                                          Tired of weak Democratic leaders who ride a surge of popularity into office and then get quickly beaten into submission by the folks who pull the strings?

                                          Unless we rise up in rage and say no, we (and by we I mean the citizens who still operate in any public sphere) lose.
                                          We lose public education in NYC.
                                           It is time to hold each one of our electeds accountable for their jobs.

                                          Lisa

                                          To: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com