11/2 Film/Discussion about Teachers/Community Fight Back in Oaxaca, Mexico

  • LRN1212@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2007
      This should be an interesting film and discussion.  The teachers in Oaxaca, Mexico are facing some of the same privatization/corporatization that we are here in NYC.  They have organized with the community to fight these forces.  The filmmaker will be present for the discussion following the film.  Lisa

      I wanted to make a film that would be useful to educators who are confronting the impacts of neoliberal education reform (privatization of public education, standardized testing, etc); a film that could expose those injustices through stories of resistance. And the story of the teachers' movement in Oaxaca was a classic warts-and-all example of public schoolteachers in struggle. There was the early history of the movement, when the teachers were capturing the country's imagination with their courage, creativity, and organization. There was the more recent history, where the movement had actually declared itself in crisis because it had started losing popular support, had become more and more corrupt, and had failed to adapt its tactics. And there were current examples of teachers within the movement who were trying to confront that crisis by seeking out new ways of mobilizing, new ways of thinking about their movement and its relationship to all the other communities in struggle in Oaxaca. When I was making Granito de Arena, ("A Grain of Sand") a lot of teachers were asking: what can the teachers do to be in struggle WITH the people of Oaxaca, as opposed to just trying to get the Oaxacan people to support and understand the teachers' movement. A year after I finished the film, the teachers found themselves in exactly that situation....they were in the streets WITH the people of Oaxaca.  Jill Freidberg

       UFTers To Stop the War, NYCORE, & Adjunct Project- CUNY Grad. Center

       invite you to a free screening of
                    "A Little Bit of So Much Truth" ("Un Poquito de Tanta Verdad")
             A new film by Jill Freidberg, producer of "Grain of Sand" ("Granito de Arena")
                        and "This is What Democracy Looks Like"

      Followed by discussion with the filmmaker Jill Freidberg
      November 2, 5:30-8:30
      NYU Silver Center, 100 Washington Square East Room 714
      Bring Photo ID