Eva on morning joe in one minute

  • monica_ayuso
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 5, 2014

    • lorna_feeney
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 5, 2014
        That was infuriating.
        Among other things, she said:
        • Mayor Diblasio has announced he is "closing" her schools. Revised to "evicting" her kids once Barnacle called her out on it. Then it became "throwing poor children in Harlem out on the street" and leaving them "educationally homeless."
        • "Harlem Central" as she calls it has the "highest performing 5th grade students in math in NYS."
        • SA is a free public school that's "publicly regulated."
        • Her teachers are "traditionally certified teachers." Period.
        • SA pays 30% more than DOE schools, "but they work harder."
        • SA spends lots of $$$ on professional development--13 weeks a year! "We are essentially running a K-12 school and a teacher education school."
        • Last year they got 13k applications for just 2k seats.
        • How do students get in? "It's a random lottery school. We don't know who they are."
        • "The most heartbreaking thing, as a mother of three children and as an educator is to turn away parents who want a great school."
        • She has no contingency plan for these schools but she "will not let them be evicted."
        • She doesn't know why Diblasio has a personal vendetta against her, but he has "union and Acorn members on his team."
        Panel was mostly fawning. Barnacle threw her a softball, but other than that, no one corrected her or balanced her claims with truth.

        It's so aggravating that she seems to be owning the spin right now. We need to pressure Cuomo, who came out to voice his support at her rally. Out these folks on Twitter. Write letters. And remind DB why we elected him so he won't be tempted to back down.

        Lorna

      • Neal H. Hurwitz
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 5, 2014
          see below... and sigh... (I have edited to be briefer...):
          Among other things, she said:
          • Mayor has announced he is "closing" her schools..."evicting" her kids..."throwing poor children in Harlem out on the street" and leaving them "educationally homeless."--- The indictment can be that Harlem schools were not working... So the idea came
          • about that Charter schools can be better... are they? and that is the biggest question... Since I support "public education" it
          • is most important to strengthen, reform, etc. PUBLIC schools.
          • "Harlem Central" as she calls it has the "highest performing 5th grade students in math in NYS."--- OK, fine...
          • SA is a free public school that's "publicly regulated."--- OK... but not exactly...
          • Her teachers are "traditionally certified teachers." Period.--- OK.
          • SA pays 30% more than DOE schools, "but they work harder."--- Interesting... and maybe they do...
          • SA spends lots of $$$ on professional development--13 weeks a year! "We are essentially running a K-12 school and a teacher education school."--- 13 weeks is grand... true?...
          • Last year they got 13k applications for just 2k seats.--- And here is the problem too: 13 v 2! Great public schools needed so the appeal of Charter is lessened.
          • How do students get in ? "It's a random lottery school. We don't know who they are."--- Random lottery is OK but is this true
          • re: students who are not among the usual cohort?
          • "The most heartbreaking thing, as a mother of three children and as an educator is to turn away parents who want a great school."--- Eva and her husband Eric Grannis both graduated from Stuyvesant; she was very highly regarded as City Council Member and head of education there... it bothers me that she has been demonized... Not fair IMO...
          • She has no contingency plan for these schools but she "will not let them be evicted."--- Charter can co-exist with public and
          • I would prefer to see strong initiatives, creativity, smarts to make PUBLIC schools better!
          • She doesn't know why Diblasio has a personal vendetta against her, but he has "union and Acorn members on his team."--- Union and Acorn per se are not "bad" but there is a distinct "war" going on here which avoids the real issues of public school excellence! Best, Neal

          Neal H. Hurwitz
          NY, NY

          :-)

          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 5, 2014
            "Eva and her husband Eric Grannis both graduated from Stuyvesant; she was very highly regarded as City Council Member and head of education there... it bothers me that she has been demonized... Not fair IMO..."

            You have to be joking. Highly regarded in city council with her ed deform agenda? I know Neal that being  a Stuy grad even if you become a serial killer gives you a break but Eva and hubby, whose school in Greenpoint should have been closed due to lack of enrollment -- are destructive forces who deserve every bit of villification they get -- far from enough.
            Being a Stuy grad doesn't stop one from being a liar.
            I guess just closing school when you want and blatantly using children and parents for political means and not being penalized is OK?
             Not one word in the press about this outrage.

            --
            Have a good day

            Norm Scott
            normsco@...
            917-992-3734

            On Twitter:  @normscott1

            Education Notes Online
            ednotesonline.blogspot.com/

            GEM, Grassroots Education Movement
            gemnyc.org

            The Inconvenient Truth Behind Waiting for Superman - Now Online
            http://gemnyc.org/our-film/

            Education Editor, The Wave
            http://www.rockawave.com/

            Norms's Robotics blog
            http://normsrobotics.blogspot.com/
          • melmeer
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 5, 2014
              Those interested can see the interview  at http://www.msnbc.com/morning-joe

              Scroll past several other sequences 'till you see Eva's face and the headline: "De Blasio us evicting us: Charter School head"

              This program has always welcomed ed deformers and has never invited those opposed.

              Mel

            • Patrick Sullivan

                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 5, 2014
                  It's more annoying that someone seems to think that anyone really wants to know who graduated from Stuyvesant YEARS ago
                • Patrick Sullivan
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 5, 2014

                    I don't know. My favorite email ever on this listserv was when Norm revealed that Attila the Hun was  Stuy, Class of 420.

                    On Mar 5, 2014 11:15 AM, <mchgh_lln@...> wrote:

                    It's more annoying that someone seems to think that anyone really wants to know who graduated from Stuyvesant YEARS ago

                  • Harvey Beringer
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 5, 2014
                      Why does Eve Moskowitz make double what the chancellor does while being the head if a tiny population that excludes learning disabled, behavioral problems and nonEnglush speaking at home?  She is using public funds while not accountable to anyone but her friends on a "board"

                      Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 5, 2014

                        Because charter schools are education corporations that follow not-for- profit regs and laws in NYS.
                         They are not 'public schools' like they claim,  but privately-manged publicly-funded corporations that do not follow NYS Ed Law other than the Charter School Act.
                         Their Boards are their own individual Boards of Ed, so to speak, and the NYC DoE Chancellor has no jurisdiction over them accept as a landlord when they are colocated in DoE public buildings. With no leases, or rent paid. HUH?

                        To: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com
                        From: hgbcpa@...
                        Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 12:07:54 -0500

                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 5, 2014
                          Because she can.
                          Even more outrageous is debora kenney of harlem village. She doesn't deserve what eva makes because she isn't as good as eva at cheating.
                          Cheers,
                          Norm Scott

                          Twitter: normscott1

                          Education Notes
                          ednotesonline.blogspot.com

                          Grassroots Education Movement
                          gemnyc.org

                          Education columnist, The Wave
                          www.rockawave.com

                          nycfirst robotics
                          normsrobotics.blogspot.com

                          Sent from my BlackBerry

                          From: Harvey Beringer <hgbcpa@...>
                          Sender: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com
                          Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 12:07:54 -0500 (EST)
                          To: <nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com>
                          ReplyTo: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com

                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 5, 2014
                            It's the New York State not-for-profit at public expense mess.  Like the head of the Queens Public Library and his $450,000 salary, and on and on . . .

                            On 3/5/2014 12:07 PM, Harvey Beringer wrote:

[...]

                                Victoria (Tory) Frye
                                vicnyc@...
                                646-418-6435

                              • Falik - MSN
                                Message 15 of 22 , Mar 6, 2014
                                  There is one thing in this statement that I believe is definitely NOT true.  “The UJA wants public funds for Jewish schools.” is a false statement.

                                  While it is certainly true that the Orthodox Jewish community wants funds for their schools, that is very definitely not the position of the Jewish community as a whole which is represented by the Conservative, Reform, and Reconstructionist movements as well as unaffiliated Jews.  They are the majority of Jews and they primarily make up the UJA.  So yes, it is true that there is a segment of the Jewish community that wants tax dollars, it is not a majority and the UJA and Federation are their representatives.

                                  Eugene Falik

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Mar 6, 2014

                                    Eugene: the UJA has signed onto the voucher/tax credit bill, along with other religious organizations.

                                    http://www.investined.org/pages/about

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Mar 6, 2014
                                      I will contact them tomorrow, as well as some of their supporters who I believe will object to their position.

                                      Sent: Thursday, March 6, 2014 9:45 PM

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Mar 7, 2014
                                        Gene,

                                        We had a discussion earlier here about the UJA's position because Neal was skeptical as well.  He called an exec there he know who told him fears of assimilation had lead them to their position on the tax credits bill.

                                        Here's an excerpt from their policy agenda.  They seem to think it can pass this year:

                                        Education Investment Incentives Act. Recognizing the need for greater private-sector support for all schools, the Education Investment Incentives Act (S.2732 Golden/A.5081 Cusick) would establish a tax credit to encourage private sector investment, both corporate and individual, in public and religious/independent schools. Scholarship tax credit programs create new pools of funding so that the state can save money on public education and more children can receive scholarships to attend the nonpublic schools of their parents’ choice.

                                        Specifically, the bill would create an aggregate total of $300 million in tax credits for any person or company that makes donations to scholarship-making organizations, and to any person or company making donations to organizations benefitting public school staff and students. Fifty percent of the credits must go to donations to public education entities (public school districts, public schools, charter schools, non-profit organizations providing educational services) and 50% to educational scholarship organizations (students at both public and nonpublic schools are eligible) and for home-based instruction materials. Of note is that this program does not include an income limit for scholarship program applicants and therefore all day school students would be eligible to apply for and receive scholarship funds, thus enabling families of all means and backgrounds to take advantage of the program.

                                        The bill passed overwhelmingly in the NY Senate during the 2011 and 2012 sessions, but was not put to a vote in either house in 2013 due to a strategy of building Democratic support in the Assembly. With a current cosponsorship of 73 Democratic Assemblymembers, we will work with a coalition of other groups over the next year to continue to build Senate and Assembly support for this measure in hopes of budget inclusion in March 2014.

                                        And their lobbying form:

                                        http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/50652/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=12766

                                        Patrick

                                        Sent: Thursday, March 6, 2014 9:45 PM

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Mar 19, 2014

                                          Gene or Neal,

                                          I may write something against the education tax credit proposal as there us a heavy push now to enact it.  The Cardinal has been very public about the Church support and their rationale.  I'm less clear on the UJA and their rationale.  Did you get anything specific back laying out the case? I know they told Neal they had concerns about assimilation but I wasn't sure if they expanded on that.

                                          Patrick

                                          Sent: Thursday, March 6, 2014 9:45 PM

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Mar 19, 2014

                                            Sent: Thursday, March 6, 2014 9:45 PM

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Mar 23, 2014
                                              I spoke with John Ruskay, chief there, and he told me that they supported the position to support Jewish education.
                                              Assimilation was one of the concerns...

                                              (As for successful fundraising, take a look at the great Jewish Abraham Heschel School on West 61st St...)

                                              Some say they support the position to also support parochial schools since they do well with students at risk, etc.

                                              I am sorta dismayed by this attitude since public education needs funding badly and this hurts the tax base.

                                              Note: There seems to be no support widely for the tax on 'wealthy' for pre-K and the Mayor needs to take another tack
                                              on this one politically... it is a bit strange that there is so little support...

                                              Best, Neal 212-222-9112

                                              Neal H. Hurwitz
                                              NY, NY

                                              :-)