Fw: DOE: Staff Update: Josh Wallack

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 13, 2014
      DOE's new  "chief strategy officer" including to "to improve classroom instruction" who used to work at EDC under Bloomberg & before that de Blasio legislative aide -- w/no educational experience.

      .
        ________________________________
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 13, 2014
        You missed the point...he's connected, he needed a job, he's hired.   <sigh> more of the same, I guess.
      • Luis O. Reyes
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 14, 2014
          I believe he's one of the good guys. Serves on de Blasio UPK Working Group that I presented to re bilingual Pre-K. He's been leading Children's Aid Society's early childhood initiatives and brings CAS's community school model to the table.

          Luis

          <The de Blasio administration added another Children’s Aid Society official to its ranks today as Josh Wallack, who headed early childhood programs at the social services agency, joins the Department of Education.

          Wallack will be the department’s first “chief strategy officer,” with a portfolio that includes steering the execution of Mayor Bill de Blasio’s plan to expand pre-kindergarten access.>

          Sent from my iPhone

            --
            Have a good day

            Norm Scott
            normsco@...
            917-992-3734

            On Twitter:  @normscott1

            Education Notes Online
            ednotesonline.blogspot.com/

            GEM, Grassroots Education Movement
            gemnyc.org

            The Inconvenient Truth Behind Waiting for Superman - Now Online
            http://gemnyc.org/our-film/

            Education Editor, The Wave
            http://www.rockawave.com/

            Norms's Robotics blog
            http://normsrobotics.blogspot.com/
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 14, 2014
              it reminds me of an appointment that might have been made under Bloomberg -- and it would have been blasted.

              Putting non-educators in charge of "improving instruction" is not just bad PR, it can have disastrous results.

              Make a tax-deductible contribution to Class SizeMatters now!

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 14, 2014
                I wouldn't get so literal Leonie.  "Improving instruction" can be accomplished many ways - including ensuring proper resources and maybe even by lowering class sizes!

                I know we all have good reason to be gun shy, but doubt he'd be involved in curriculum decisions, instructional development/oversight or setting academic policy.

                Noah

                noah eliot gotbaum
                twitter: @noahegotbaum

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 14, 2014
                  Why can't each borough decide on school closings?  I guess one snow shoe fits all.
                • RichardEdBarr@...