question about Grow reports and David Sherman

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 15, 2014

      David Coleman, primary architect of the Common Core along w/ his old friend Jason Zimba,  has called David Sherman a “mentor”.  David Sherman was a UFT VP and now is an adviser to Randi at the AFT.  Coleman supposedly first met Sherman when Coleman was a consultant at McKinsey, advising DOE and later supposedly asked him for teacher input when devising his “Grow Reports” for his Grow Network, a company sold to McGraw Hill for millions in 2004.

      Question for teachers and parents:

      1-      Did you remember Sherman from his days in NYC and if so, what was his role?

      2-      Do you still get Grow reports? I can’t remember seeing them for my kids.

      3-      Are they useful?

      Supposedly Grow/McGraw Hill gets personally ID student data from DOE.

      This is the most interesting of the articles written on Coleman that I’ve seen, and Sherman is mentioned prominently:

      http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/30/david-coleman-common-core-sat_n_3818107.html

      Upon returning to New York, Coleman applied for a high school teaching position and was turned down. Instead, he worked for consulting firm McKinsey & Company, where he advised public schools and became a fixture at New York City Department of Education meetings. That's where he met David Sherman, then a vice president at the United Federation of Teachers.

      After one meeting, Coleman, then in his 20s, approached Sherman. "'I don't know you, but I want to introduce myself, because you seem to be the only person who knew what he was talking about,'" Sherman remembers Coleman saying. They stayed in touch. In 1999, when Zimba and Coleman developed their education startup, the Grow Network, Coleman turned to Sherman to tap into the grassroots involvement of teachers.

      Sherman became a mentor to Coleman. "I always told him he was too nice, that you need to stand up for what you believe in," Sherman said. And when Coleman began speaking to national audiences, Sherman chided Coleman for treating Washington crowds as if they were New Yorkers. "I said, 'David, you can't curse in front of a national audience, they get offended.'"

      …..[About the Common Core]  “The conservative right is using it as an example of government control, a break with states' rights -- but it's voluntary," said Sherman, who now works as a special assistant to Randi Weingarten, president of the American Federation of Teachers. "People like Ravitch are saying it has all of the testing and blah blah blah. I don't go along with that, either."

      Subscribe to Class Size Matters newsletter at  http://shar.es/wNbXk

      Subscribe to NYC education list by emailing nyceducationnews-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

    • Deborah Meier

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 16, 2014
          When someone asked Randi on twitter what was her deep attachment to common core and David Coleman I brought up the connection to David Sherman and Randi got huffy - norman why do you bring up the past and not look to the future? Because history matters I said.
          Sherman was the uft veep deep inside the DOE - pre bloomberg the uft were co-managers of the school system in many ways and Sherman was their key guy. Some of the people he brought into the uft are still there playing a role.
          When I was working for dist 14 in tech we were called to a0big meeting run by I believe Coleman who demo'ed the grow reports as the best tging ever - I think that was the entry he got and it came through the uft. Those connections just never go away - sometimes we need to follow the old adage - follow the money - not that I know something but often a proven method of investigation.
          Money means jobs for certain people.
          Cheers,
          Norm Scott

          Twitter: normscott1

          Education Notes
          ednotesonline.blogspot.com

          Grassroots Education Movement
          gemnyc.org

          Education columnist, The Wave
          www.rockawave.com

          nycfirst robotics
          normsrobotics.blogspot.com

          Sent from my BlackBerry

          From: "Leonie Haimson" <leonie@...>
          Sender: cts-internal@...
          Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 10:02:51 -0500
          To: <nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: cts-internal@...
          Cc: <cts-internal@...>
          Subject: question about Grow reports and David Sherman

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 16, 2014
            Totally agree with Norm.

            Sherman was a fixture at BOE HQ.  In essence, as a top UFT operative, he made sure that labor got to pick who became management. Ambitious wouldbe administrators feared him and he relished his power.  He could make or break them if they didn't play ball.  I knew this from someone involved in SBM/SDM (School-Based Management/Shared Decision-Making) in the late 1980s.  He had people quaking.

            I recognized the UFT's modus operandi in 1974, when the union virtually chose who would be the Board's first director of the Office of Accountability. It was none other than Charles I. Schonhaut who, at the same time, was given the title of Senior Deputy to the Chancellor (Irving Anker). Schonhaut, ever the UFT lackey, rose to become Acting Chancellor in the late 1980s.

            The scary thing was that the UFT gave the BOE the right to create and administer an Office of Accountability --a phantom sticking point in efforts to negotiate its CBA.  When the contract was settled, the BOE called this a victory and a give-back. The UFT described it as a major concession.  In all of its existence, I never saw a single report issue from Schonhaut's office--holding teachers or anyone else accountable for anything.

            Whenever David Sherman came upon the scene, his role was to continue to manage the UFT's shadowy dirty work.

            Fred

            From: "Leonie Haimson" <leonie@...>
            Sender: cts-internal@...
            Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 10:02:51 -0500
            To: <nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com>
            ReplyTo: cts-internal@...
            Cc: <cts-internal@...>

[...]

            …..[About the Common Core]  “The conservative right is using it as an example of government control, a break with states' rights -- but it's voluntary," said Sherman, who now works as a special assistant to Randi Weingarten, president of the American Federation of Teachers. "People like Ravitch are saying it has all of the testing and blah. I don't go along with that, either."

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 16, 2014
              One of the key issues between the uft leadership and BloomKlein was that they killed off the uft's co-management. They hung teachers from lamp posts but the most important thing to the uft leadership was this loss at the top of influence for their own interests.
              teachers who knew how to play the system, especially Unity Caucus members, could get certain favors done.
              There are still some signs even over the last 12 years that the uft could tap certain people for certain things. Naturally they are working hard to get back on the inside now and one of the reasons they were not thrilled with Farina is that she is less likely to be willing to play their game.
              Some of the other candidates were more likelies.
              The reason Fred and I put this history out there is to provide an understanding from our perspective as to how these relationships have worked and goes some ways to explain the actions of the Uft which can often seem so confusing.
              This has been a symbiotic relationship behind the scenes for 50 years no matter how heated the verbiage gets.
              Norm

              From: FJSTATS@...
              Sender: cts-internal@...
              Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 11:16:12 -0500 (EST)
              To: <cts-internal@...>; <nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com>
              ReplyTo: cts-internal@...
              Subject: Re: question about Grow reports and David Sherman

              From: "Leonie Haimson" <leonie@...>
              Sender: cts-internal@...
              Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 10:02:51 -0500
              To: <nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com>
              ReplyTo: cts-internal@...
              Cc: <cts-internal@...>

[...]

            • James

                From: "Leonie Haimson" <leonie@...>
                Sender: cts-internal@...
                Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 10:02:51 -0500
                To: <nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com>
                ReplyTo: cts-internal@...
                Cc: <cts-internal@...>

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 16, 2014
                  That would be before Coleman. Sherman may have lost influence in those years but these guys are like vampires - unless you use a stake they rise again and since Cortines walked in all alone with little staff the old guard rose.
                  If it wasn't sherman the uft has someone else - Aminda Gentile was one candidate.

                  From: James <jvlasto@...>
                  Sender: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 12:07:10 -0500
                  To: nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com<nyceducationnews@yahoogroups.com>