DOE SLT vs Open Meetings Law Case

  • Mr. Portelos
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 8, 2013

    NYCED News,
         There have been several threads pertaining to SLT on this message board. Some members have been barred from attending School Leadership Team meetings as members of the general public. I have been barred as both member of the public and as the mandatory UFT chapter leader.

    The attached case is one that NYSUT is taking to Supreme Court on my behalf. Although the chapter leader aspect may be of little concern to you, the Open Meetings Law is very interesting. If the judge deems that in Portelos v. DOE, the SLT is a public body, then this sets a precedent and the gates are open.

    I'll keep you posted.

    A quick thank you to James Calantjis and his site sltsupport.blogspot.com . If it wasn't for him and that site I may not have ever found that we were in violation. Also I may not have subsequently wound up in educator exile. Thanks James! ;)

    Francesco Portelos
    IS 49 UFT Chapter Leader
    Parent
    Educator
    www.educatorfightsback.org
    Mrportelos.com

    "In the end, we will not remember the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -Martin Luther King Jr.