FW: Tonight- Thurs. 9/12 6:00 PM Success Charter Revision Hearing - Districts 2, 3, 4, & 5- Speaker Registration 5:30PM-6:00PM

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 12, 2013

    to make you sick….

    From: Division of Family & Community Engagement
    Sent: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 3:37 PM
    Subject: Hearing Notices - Districts 2, 3, 4, & 5

    Dear CECs 2, 3, 4, & 5:

    Please see the attached notice regarding public hearings.

    Sincerely,

    Division of Family and Community Engagement

    Mary L. Kane

    Administrative Assistant

    Community District Education Council 3

    154 W. 93rd St. Rm. 204

    New York, NY 10025

    Tel. - (212) 678-2782

    Fax  - (212) 678-2804

    MKane8@...

    Click on http://www.cec3.org  for education news and events!

  • Victoria Frye
    Message 2 of 4 , Sep 12, 2013
      Leonie, I'm sure you've explained this before, but I must've missed it. Can you tell me more about the last row of that chart where it says that the schools will not set aside space for students who are English Language Learners?
      Thanks,
      Tory

      Sent from my handheld; please excuse any errors.

      On Sep 12, 2013, at 3:47 PM, Leonie Haimson <leonie@...> wrote:

      to make you sick….

      Please see the attached notice regarding public hearings.

      Sincerely,

      Division of Family and Community Engagement

      <image005.jpg>

      <image006.jpg>

      Mary L. Kane

      Administrative Assistant

      Community District Education Council 3

      154 W. 93rd St. Rm. 204

      New York, NY 10025

      Tel. - (212) 678-2782

      Fax  - (212) 678-2804

      MKane8@...

      Click on http://www.cec3.org  for education news and events!

    • Noah Gotbaum
      Message 3 of 4 , Sep 12, 2013
        That's the smokescreen Success is using to get rid of the preference - which they've never complied with and can't since they don't accept kids after 3rd grade anyway unless they are screened.  Plus the state law must be illegal as well since it requires charters to meet district wide numbers for Ell and other "at-risk" students.

        I am here at the hearing. A joke. Of course they don't have the charter revision. And out out the notice the night of Rosh Hashanah with only 6 working days notice.

        Can't wait for this nightmare to be over - at least when we get a new Mayor.

        Noah

        noah e gotbaum
        twitter: @noahegotbaum

        Message 4 of 4 , Sep 12, 2013

          It is explained by GSchools here:

          http://gothamschools.org/2013/09/05/facing-federal-funding-freeze-success-to-nix-lottery-preference/

          apparently US DOE is intervening – not because of SucAcademy egregious push-out practices or abusive disciplinary policies, but b/c they say they cannot give preference to ELL students.

          “A federal reading of the law is that school lotteries can’t reserve seats for at-risk students, unless their state’s charter school law specifically allows it.”

          Subscribe to Class Size Matters newsletter at  http://shar.es/wNbXk

          Subscribe to NYC education list by emailing nyceducationnews-subscribe@yahoogroups.com