Re: [nyceducationnews] "New" Charter study uses research based on ancient history in charterland

  • Diane Ravitch
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 6, 2013
      The charter don't accept them in the first place so they don't need to push them out.

      I looked at data for Bronx charters. Almost every one had half as many ELLs and special Ed. As local public schools.

      Diane

      On Sep 6, 2013, at 4:52 PM, Susan Crawford <SusanCNYC@...> wrote:

      New Study: Data Say Charters Aren't 'Pushing Out' Students

      "...examined data from an anonymous large urban district with a significant number of charters (60 by 2007). The researchers examined standardized testing and demographic data from the 2000-01 through the 2006-07 school years."

      Presumably the researcher were studying NYC, if based on nothing more than the number of charters in place in 2007.  Note, however, that the "data-set" STOPS in 2006/07, before KIPP, Success and Democracy Prep, the worst "push-out" offenders,  were effectively up and running in the city.
      So, I suggest the article be retitled:

      New Study: OLD Data Say Charters Weren't 'Pushing Out' Students... Before the Charter Chains Moved to Town

      Researchers-- come back and check again.  Or save yourselves the trouble and read Gary Rubinstein's blogs on this subject.

      Susan